It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2007, 09:37 PM   #1
(male)

SR001 HB User
Muscle/Nerve Pain near Lower Left Ribs

Hello, I checked the other thread on Lower Left Rib Pain, but that does not seem to be me, so I thought I would start a thread because this pain is bugging me and I'm curious if anyone has any ideas/thoughts?

I'm having this pain that goes from my back, around to my abdomen, from about belly button level to a rib or two below the end of the sternum. It's mainly focused on the front left side, but different positions cause it to 'change' it's focus to my back.

About a year and a half ago, I had a similar pain on my right side beneath on exactly my last rib. It was from how I was sleeping, but only bothered me when laying down, so I did not pursue it. Once and awhile I get an accu-pressure massage - think accupuncture without the needles, lol.

The woman who does these is professor at a local college who does it on the side, she's here from China originally. She informed me it was a nerve stuck over my rib, and after treatment by her, it was totally gone from then on. It since came back, but to only 10% of the same level - it's quite tollerable now. HOWEVER... this has me thinking it's related, a similar problem, on the left.

But this pain, though similar, is more intense over a greater area and goes further back and front while the other pain was limitted to strictly the side.

I'm by no means in good shape, I've got a heart condition which keeps me pretty inactive, and I've had the rare gastro problem but nothing serious. So I'm leaning towards muscle/nerve pain and am planning to see the previously mentioned wise professor massage therapist soon in hopes of fixing it. BUT... do you think I'm on the right track? Does it sound like anything anyone else has? As an example of the pain, press firmly between any rib and you've basically got it. Could it be a tear of the muscles between the ribs? It's not a broken rib, for sure, and my chiropractor is clueless...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2007, 05:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Muscle/Nerve Pain near Lower Left Ribs

Anything is indeed possible when it comes to nerves.have you ever had an MRI done on your back in order to see if this pain could possibly be stemming from a problem within the spine itself?all those nerves run out from the spinal column which innervate the lower parts of the body.t is entirely possible to have a problem in the front or side that originates from the spinal area.if all else fails,just obtain an MRI of at least your thorasic area since this would be the most likely area to be sending out signals to the areas you mentioned.it wouldn't hurt,and it would at least rule a few things out or in.just a suggestion.you really would be amazed at just how much anterior/side type pain is actually stemming from some sort of spinal problem that comes from the back area.been there,done that.just make an appt with your primary to have this evaluated and ask about getting a referal for that MRI.once you obtain those results,just take it from there.good luck with this and please keep me posted a to what you find out,K? FB

Old 04-09-2007, 09:41 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Check for kidney stones or kidney obstructions.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:15 PM   #4
(male)

SR001 HB User

I've had... Oh I can't recall. I've had an MRI within the last year, but I can't recall what it was looking for... my memory is shotty... but this pain, it's not serious enough for that sort of test, I don't think. Do you?

Closed Thread