It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2007, 11:05 AM   #1
(female)

brynac HB User
No antidepressant for me

My doctor prescribed Effexor for me because he thinks I may have an anxiety disorder. Well I refuse to take this drug or any other antidepressant. I have read about the horrible withdrawals and side effects. No no no. Not taking it. I like my brain the way it is! It's enough that I have to take synthroid forever but I'm not taking these things. They can't force anything on you right? It's a free country! If he makes a deal out of it I'm finding a new doctor. So there!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-13-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
(female)

bonzer HB User
Re: No antidepressant for me

nobody will make you take effexor and i have heard that side effects and withdrawal can be hard. i have been on it for a year, no side effects and it has changed my life for the better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

It is no different than taking the synthroid. What are you so afraid and defensive about? Depression and anxiety are nothing to be ashamed of, so I am puzzled that you will treat your physical ailments, but will let your psycholgical health go untreated??? Sounds strange to me.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Have you visited the Thyroid Healthboard? I'm there most of the time.

I urge you to make very sure your thyroid is being effectively treated, because it can cause mild depression and other symptoms that MDs often mistake for mental illness and anxiety. Thyroid is one of the most undertreated and maltreated of any illness there is. If you have any recent thyroid labs you don't mind sharing with the regulars on the Thyroid board, someone there can help you determine what your MD may be missing in your treatment and make suggestions about what you should ask for.

I'm on your side. Don't let anyone force meds on you that you think are inappropriate, but make sure the ones you're willing to take - like Synthroid - are giving you the most bang for your buck!

Old 04-14-2007, 10:33 PM   #5
(female)

brynac HB User

I look at the thyroid board a bit. My 2nd thyroid test(TSH) came out normal. I have only ever taken 0.05 mg of Synthroid. And I only took it for like a month and I got the blood test done again.I am actually feeling tons better right now. I'm not freezing my butt off all the time and I have loads of energy! Maybe it was the thyroid. I also have my high blood pressure and tinnitus to deal with.. oh well...I still don't want antidepressants. Everyone gets a bit depressedand and anxious at times. I don't think we all need drugs for that. Of course doctors would tell you otherwise.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:35 PM   #6
(female)

Princess05247 HB User

Hi brynac,
I understand you completely, i went to a gyno for a second opinion and he asked what stress was affecting my life and i told him. Well he made me cry and he told me twice that i was depressed and gave me a prescription for Elavil, well i never filled the prescription. I don't need it to feel better. I do get anxiety off and on. But i usually work through it. I do have a prescription for Ativan but i have had it for almost 2 years and have only filled it the one time. I'm not against drugs for ones who really suffer with depression. I just hate when docs think they know everything and push drugs when they want to.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:33 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Antidepressants are the generic fix all for just about everything these days but truth is they fix nothing rather they just create mild euphoria so you don't care about fixing anything ever, even the health problems they create later on....

Old 04-15-2007, 09:14 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

So... Do I understand correctly that you've stopped taking Synthroid?

If so, you really ought to know that low thyroid can cause exactly the kind of symptoms you still have... anxiety, depression, high BP, tinnitus... probably a few other things you haven't mentioned. Also, taking the med for only a month didn't fix the coldness and low energy permanently. Eventually, those will return.

Thyroid levels affect every single body system in some way. When there isn't enough, anything can go wrong, either physically or mentally. Low thyroid is generally a condition "for life"; if you need supplemental hormone, you'd be better off to educate yourself about it and learn to live with it in peace. There are loads of MDs out there who'd rather medicate for every single symptom rather than to fix the source of the multitude of problems. You might have met one... the AD-prescriber.

Hope you'll think about all this.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:29 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Brynac, this is your choice. I recovered from anxiety with therapy not drugs. I learned why I was anxious and I fixed it. On the other hand, some people need the drugs to function. If you feel that you do not need the drug, fine.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:55 AM   #10
(female)

brynac HB User

No, am still taking the Synthroid. I know I will always have to take it.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:03 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User

I wouldn't take Effexor, either. I would try to get a different AD if it's needed. I had a doctor who tried to give me Effexor, but I went home that day and researched it, finding all of the seriously negative side effects and withdrawal symptoms, and I said FORGET IT!

I actually ended up leaving her and finding another doctor. Actually, the depression I was having was purely situation and not due to a chemical imbalance. So now that my situation has improved, I no longer suffer from depression, so I didn't need it after all.

Anyway, I really didn't like the idea of brain zaps or whatever from the withdrawal of Effexor, so I never went on it. You can either tell this doctor you want to try something else or you can find a new doctor. If you feel this doctor isn't helping, then maybe it's time to find a new one, right?

Old 04-15-2007, 01:44 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

Effexor's kinda heavy-duty for an anxiety disorder. I don't think it should be prescribed as a first choice.

And I tend to agree with Midwest1 - your anxiety could be part of your thyroid disorder. When was the last time you had your levels checked?

Closed Thread