It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
(male)

allen77 HB User
Shin Bruises gone down to foot, swelling for over a week

Hey guys, Ive been reading health boards for a bit and trying to find if anyone else had this problem as well. I got kicked in the shin (with pads on) due to sports and incurred a few bruises. After dismissing it, a few days later of work and classes, the bruising entered my foot and began to bloat up and swell. I went to 2 orthopedists, and they said RICE. I went to an acupuncturist, and he did some work on me and made my blood flow to move the bruise up. It helped, but was not dramatic. Ive been taking NSAIDs for over a month because of my knee injury(500mg/day for 30 days) and wisdom teeth(2400mg/day for 7 days), so I was really prone to brusing since my blood was thin. Im not sure if i should keep taking these NSAIDs to relieve swelling because I've read that it may prolong bleeding in bruises. As for the doctors advice, they both prescribed me vicodin for the pain and more NSAIDs for the swelling even though I notified them I've been taking it for a month and a half.

My current condition is my foot being swollen, my shin a little swollen. Walking is a little painful so Ive been on crutches for 5 days already. Swelling has been in effect for 9 days, with pain going away gradually. Im resting ALOT everyday and using my legs to a minimum...anyone else have any advice or experience going through this? Its so frustrating and my life has come to a halt thanks to this...from this past progress, I don't see any healing progress for another week probably until I can walk fine...should I stop the NSAIDs and use heat pads to stimulate my blood?

I'd appreciate any advice.... thanks guys

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2007, 05:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Shin Bruises gone down to foot, swelling for over a week

heat at this point would be good,possibly alternating with ice packs too if the swelling is still apparent.one big thing you need to remeber with any typically large bruise pretty much anywhere on your body,is that after a day or two,espescially if this is in a lower extremity,gravity tends to pull down the bruising so it can "appear" that it is actually spreading for some medical reason,but its just the pooled blood being pulled down from the gravitaional pull.i too have had this happen with two particularly large bruises.being on NSAIDs would also make this a bit more pronounced since the blood is just a bit thinner.i do think at this point that keeping with the NSAIDS would probably be the best way to keep things from becomming worse from inflammation.if your stomach will still tolerate them.i have found naproxen(aleeve,or the store brand generic naproxen,works pretty good too) is much less hard on my stomach and you only have to really take it like once in the morning and then later on in the day like before bed?

i would think that if things have not really improved for you in about one more week,go back to the ortho for further evaluation of this injury.but try and keep it elevated as much as possible.the more this lower leg is 'downward" the more swelling that will take place.just try and keep it up anytime you are sitting down.hope all goes well for you.please keep me posted on how you are doing,K? FB

Old 04-15-2007, 04:32 PM   #3
(male)

allen77 HB User

thank you for your response FB. the swelling in my shin and calf and subsided dramatically today and all i've done is rest and elevate it. Ankle and bottom of foot is still swollen and mild to moderate soreness because I actually went out and tried to walk last night! Progress is okay and it looks like it may be a few more days.....still very frustrating

Old 04-16-2007, 05:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

yea,it all really sucks to be layed up but you really DO need to take things much more slowly and let that heal correctly or you will pay for it later if you don't,trust me on that one.just continue to take it easy til the swelling is completly gone,THEN slowly ease back into actually walking on this again.SLOWLY is the key.good luck,FB

Closed Thread