It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2007, 08:15 PM   #1
(male)

CalB HB User
Car exhaust fumes damaging to a baby?

Hi All,

Not sure if I'm asking the right question in a forum like this but here's my story...

I placed my 5 month old daughter (she was in the car capsule) on the ground behind my car as it was in a hot sunny day and this was the only shade. I then started my car (don't worry, it's an automatic and was in "Park" so there was no running-over risk) to get the air conditioning going to cool the car before I put her into it.

I then opened all of the doors to let the hot air out and then went back to check on her and it was then that I realised how stupid I was as she was about 2 feet away from the exhaust outlet and would definitely have inhaled some of the fumes. She wasn't directly in line with it and facing it... but to the side of it and facing away from it.

I am guilt ridden. Could I have caused her any damage?

I have a relatively new car and so expect that emissions are of the highest (cleanest) available.

Does anyone have any advise or know where I can seek further information re any possible effects of a few seconds (10-20 max) exposure to these fumes?

Thanks all...

Cal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2007, 08:35 PM   #2
(female)

bonzer HB User
Re: Car exhaust fumes damaging to a baby?

you tried your best to protect your baby from the heat and the sun and i'm sure all is well. we have all done things we wish we could take back, but we learn and hopefully no one is hurt in the process. all will be well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
(male)

CalB HB User

Thanks so much for your reply and kind words, bonzer.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

If you really do want to see if there is any risk of a build up of carbon monoxide,just take her into see her doc.they can draw blood and check it for signs of whats called carboxyhemoglobin.this is a red blood cell that has been kind of "surrounded' by Co gas.what actually causes a person to suffer and in some cases die(not to your child with that minimal exposure so don't worry about that one,K?)is that Co gas just binds itself very readily to red blood cells in our bodies.it actually creates like a 'shell" around the cell(this is when it becomes carboxyhemoglobin) which cannot be penetrated by oxygen so there is no actual ongoing oxygen exchange between that red blood cell anymore.it usually takes alot of pressure,such as with a hyperbaric chamber? to 'purge' that Co off of the red blood cell in order for it to become normal again.if there is only a very short term type of exposure the chances of any real problems are minimal as eventually red blood cells die off.but it wouldn't hurt just to have the blood test done to see if any sort of carboxy is still or ever was present.other than that,i doubt any serious issues would develop out of that short term exposure for your baby.if she is not actually showing any lethargy or drowsiness i think all is actually well.good luck.FB

Old 04-16-2007, 10:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

With only twenty seconds' exposure and the fact that it was outside I would say that there is almost no risk here. And of course you will never do it again. The baby will be fine.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:20 PM   #6
(male)

CalB HB User

Thanks so much for the messages and helpful advice. Very much appreciated.

Closed Thread