It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #1
(female)

byHizgrc HB User
Question Sugar Substitute Complications

My daughter's been experiencing some issues & have been told by someone that it could be from sugar substitute consumption (i.e. nutra sweet, sucralose...). Does anyone know much about research on this? Any documentation in books, magazines...?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2007, 06:46 PM   #2
(male)

fanman HB User
Re: Sugar Substitute Complications

I don't know of much research on this topic, but these are just plain bad. They're man-made, not found in nature, and the human body simply doesn't have the ability to process them. Use maple syrup or raw honey instead as a sugar substitute.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

My husband has digestive reactions to artificial sweeteners in the form of stomach cramps, flatulence and diarrhea.

Personally, I don't think anyone who's still developing (child or teen) should be using artificial sweeteners as we don't know the long-term effects on development. I never really thought about it until my kids' pediatrician said something, and that was 20 years ago. Just my $.02.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:04 PM   #4
(female)

KatieMac HB User

There is a lot of info out on the Internet about these, but especially Nutrasweet is supposedly connected to mental problems, confusion, agitation - it affects me that way. I think even seizures have been documented. I heard airline pilots aren't allowed to have it and fly. Sweet Leaf Stevia from health food stores is an herbal sweetener I like a lot for drinks & cooking. Some stevia tastes bad, some doesn't seem sweet. I also use saccharine sparingly. Just a dab when baking with stevia boosts the sweet taste. The old warnings about the saccharine where based on tests where you would have to drink like 200 soft drinks a day to get the dose. I think a little is ok.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I've discovered that Nutrasweet (aspartame) causes terrible spasms in the muscles of my shoulders and neck and now avoid it. I use saccharine daily and don't have any problems with it. I use Splenda very sparingly, but without problems.

Reliable studies are few. Unfortunately, the ones that the FDA has done were funded by the sweetener manufacturers themselves... The wolf guarding the henhouse kind of situation. There is a plethora of anecdotal evidence that the stuff causes all kinds of problems in much of the general population.

The best way to know if it's a problem is to give it up for several weeks and see if things improve. That's how I figured out I can't use it without pain.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:28 AM   #6
(female)

daniellegod HB User

I'm a diabetic and I've used sugar substitutes for many years. Saccharin and Nutrasweet cause people to have diarrhea. I use Splenda which is a derivative of sugar so it less "manufactured". I love the taste and I haven't had any problems with it.
~daniellegod

Old 04-18-2007, 04:32 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

music12 HB User

All of these substituts, including Splenda, have the potential to create health problems. If you want something with a low glycemic index, and that also tastes good, try Agave Nectar. Xylitol and Stevia are other options but I like the Agave best and it can also be used for baking and such. These are all natural products with no harmful additives.

Last edited by music12; 04-18-2007 at 06:30 AM.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:28 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

cher1052 HB User

I hate substitutes...all the reports on them isn't that good. Just remember there's 15 calories to a teaspoon which isn't alot-but don't over-do it when using it!

Old 04-18-2007, 06:40 AM   #9
(female)

Laura51 HB User

I am a diabetic and I can't use sugar substitutes because they make me very ill. If I drink any carbonated drinks they have to have sugar in them. The worst one for me is Splenda. Please be very careful using them or having your daughter use them. Check with a Dr. about them. I know there are reports on them. Check the internet for them.

Closed Thread