It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2007, 08:31 AM   #1
(female)

Miss_Melanie_2 HB User
Strep Throat

Yesterday my obstetrician diagnosed me with strep throat. He has put me on Amoxicillan for 7 days, but I keep reading every where that it is supposed to be 10! I know that if it isn't adequately treated it can recur, but what about if I give it to someone and my family? If my husband gets it, let's say, can he give it back to me? (It WOULD be so much easier if he would go get his throat swabbed, but he refuses until he has symptoms...)

Old 04-17-2007, 08:39 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Karen W. HB User
Re: Strep Throat

Hi,
I really think you'll be okay after taking amoxicilin for 7 days. I know that some Doctors are cutting back on giving antibiotics because if we take too much to often our bodies become immune to the medication. My Doctor has always told me, when you get an infection or a virus, throw out your tooth brush because that infection or virus will live on that tooth brush, sometimes he says, you know when you keep relasping from a cold or flu, it's your tooth brush and when you think about it , it dose make allot of sense. My daughter just finished with a throat infection and she was only on the meds for 5 days.
Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2007, 01:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

In strep, what you are treating is not the sore throat, but what it can do to your kidneys if left untreated. It is a silent killer and can do bad damage. So if you have strep make sure that you take the full course of drugs that your doctor prescribes.... Our neighbors hubby has only one kidney due to untreated strep.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hey karen,was your daughter on the Z pack per chance?that IS the only actual five day anti B treatment that i know of.no doc,who has half a brain would treat an actual throat infection with only a five day course of treatment,it just wouldn't be long enough.but the Z pack(zithromycin)has that ten day course kind of 'built in" to the five day course.If she was not actually taking the zithro,you may need her to be checked again with a repeat test just to be completley certain that her infection has left.

i too would be a bit concerned about only a seven day course of anti Bs for an actual strep infection.you may want to just call your pharmacist and see just whats up.the "normal" course IS a ten day for strep.i get that every single year now since i first got it my senior yer in high school back in 1979?every single year ever since,i will just present with it one day out of the blue.i usually just get a pennicillin shot in order to avoid the horrid stomach burning that i normally get with just about every imaginable anti B i ever tried.less hassle too.but you DO need to make certain that what you are currently taking is actually enough or the infection will not leave and can become much much harder to actually kick.it creates a 'super strain' type of infection since it has been partially reinforced by not enough anti Bs.personally,getting anything other than OB tratment by my OB seems a bit odd to me.i would always see my primary for my strep.i am wondering if your OB really has ever treated strep in his patients before or just is not aware of the need for the ten day course?either way,you DO need to make certain that the anti Bs you are taking are actually going to even work effectively with only a seven day course.like i said,just call your pharmacist,they would be able to tell you if the anti B you have been Rxed is appropriate for strep and at only seven days.better safe than sorry.

anytime you don't feel comfortable with a treatment that any doc Rxes you,question it.you have every right to do that.this is how mistakes can be caught earlier on and possibly prevent many other complications for you to have to deal with later.good luck,hope you feel better soon,let us know what you find out,K? FB

Old 04-18-2007, 05:52 AM   #5
(female)

ReviveGroup07 HB User

Is strep throat the same as post nasal drip?

Old 04-18-2007, 07:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Nope.

Post nasal drip is what runs down your throat from your nose. It does not require antibiotics. You can usually use a decogestant to control it or an over the counter sinus medicine to get relief.

Strep throat requires a round of antibiotics to be removed from your system.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:32 AM   #7
(female)

Miss_Melanie_2 HB User

Actually, I was with my obstetrician seeing him for an unrelated condition with my pregnancy. While there, they did a swab test for strep and it came back positive. I'm not sure why it's a seven-day treatment. Maybe it's because I'm pregnant. I don't know. I am seeing an ENT on the 26th, which is three days after my treatment ends. I can always ask him about it.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:08 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Just give your pharmacist that filled the Rx a call and ask him or her whether the Rxing instructions are appropriate for strep and your condition.i really doubt limiting the days of treatment would be because of your actual pregnancy.but then again,who knows.but just asking your pharm will at least let you know whether or not you need to actually be Rxed a few more days of the anti Bs.you just need to make certain that the strep IS completely gone.even stopping a few days before the ten day treatment cycle would probably cause you to have to repeat the WHOLE anti B regimine again like from the beginning?you just need to know NOW and not after that seven days is up and you have stopped them.Its not just your health that is a concern but as you are aware,you have a new baby on the way too.you just need to really know for sure as soon as possible to keep you both healthy as possible.just give them a call at the pharm.good luck,FB

Closed Thread