It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2007, 10:28 PM   #1
(male)

lbb87 HB User
Leg still hurts from dog bite - four months ago

About four months ago I was bit by a dog on my inner thigh. The dog barely broke the skin and it only left two little scrapes - there were no punctures. It left a gigantic purple bruise that was probably more than eight inches in diameter. It felt like and looked like my leg was squeezed in a vise. The bruise took about two to three weeks to go away. There was also a lump in the area where the dog's mouth was that was still there after two months but it was much smaller - like a knot deep under the skin.

So here I am four months later and my leg hurts more than it did two months ago. It doesn't bother me so much if my legs are stretched out. However, if I sit Indian style, with my legs crossed, or any other weird positions where my legs are not stretched, it makes my leg hurt where I was bit.

The dog does not have rabies but it does have Lyme disease. I have no idea if it has any other diseases.

Any ideas why my leg would still hurt?

I cannot afford to go to a doctor. I do not have health insurance or a job. I am just a poor kid trying to go to college. I can only afford community college and I probably can't afford to get a four year degree. My parents won't pay for me to go to a doctor. I know the dog's owner and they don't want to pay either. They might give me some money but it wouldn't be enough for the necessary tests the doctor would want to do. I do not qualify for the only low cost clinic in the area. So going to the doctor is out of the question - unless my leg starts rotting and falls off.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2007, 10:49 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User
Re: Leg still hurts from dog bite - four months ago

You can totally go to small claims court to sue the owner of the dog for medical bills. There has to be proof though cause if the owners deny it then you're pretty much out of luck. Is there a clinic for low income patients or something in your area? Why won't your parents pay for a doctor? If the dog has lyme disease you probably needed to get a vaccination right away.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:07 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

CoyoteBound HB User

Ibb87,

Sorry for the pain and worry that your going through, but this could be something serious. After months of a dog bite, you shouldn't still be hurting like that. Could you go the ER and have them check you out and pay the bill out? I would go back to the owner of the dog and explain to them that you are still hurting and that you can't afford to go to the doctor and if they tell you no, I would take them to court. If you have a knot under the skin, it could possibly be a blood clot. If it hurts like you say it does. I would not mess around with something like this. I would be going to the Emergency room and tell them what happened and let them take a look at it.

Good luck!
Jan

Old 04-18-2007, 09:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Does the community college have a clinic that you can be tested for Lymes disease? If not the community college, go to your local health department. They help low income, such as poor college students...

You need to have this checked out. I would be concerned. Not with the monetary issue, but the residue pain issue. You could have a muscle bruise that takes time to heal. I doubt that it is a clot.

Check out your local public health department.

Closed Thread