It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2007, 06:13 AM   #1
(male)

sparkyireland HB User
MRI Scan this Friday

Hi all

I wasnt sure where to post this, if its in the wrong place then sorry bout that

I am going for my first MRI scan this Friday and just wanted some general information from others that have had one or know the process.

My scan is in a private clinic, what difference that will make im not sure, anyway.... ive heard results take a few weeks to come back. What I would like to know is that if they spot something quite serious would they let you know there and then? Its probably obvious that they would, but id just like to know.

Also can someone tell me how good an MRI is at picking up sinus problems.

One more lol, how scary is that tunnel?

Cheers

Old 04-18-2007, 08:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: MRI Scan this Friday

The tube is rather narrow. I don't know about in Ireland, but here in the States, they will give you head phones to wear and will let you listen to the radio station of your choice. They also will talk to you through the head phones. I have found the best way for me is to keep my eyes shut as they put me in and out of the tube. I am not bothered by small spaces, but it does get a tad unnerving to see the top so close to your nose.

The technitians are not qualitified to giv eyou the results of your MRIs. The docs are responsible for writing up the reports and forwarding those onto the doctor who requested the MRI. So no, they will not tell you if something is wrong. They would not want the responsibility of being blamed if something was misrepresented.

I believe that MRIs can detect issues with sinuses. Is that what you are having the scan for?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2007, 08:19 AM   #3
(male)

Jason27 HB User

I have a question about MRIs if you do not mind. So do the doctors only use an MRI to scan for whatever problem you are having, or do they scan for everything? For example I was thinking about getting an MRI for my knee, but if I had another problem unrelated to my knee would they scan for it?

Old 04-18-2007, 09:48 AM   #4
(male)

sparkyireland HB User

Ive had a constant headache now for 6 months, i am just hoping its sinus infection, tension headache, or stress related rather than somethin more serious.

A friend of a friend who was told she had sinus problems died a few days ago from a brain tumor, totally unexpected, she had symptoms of sinus problems because of the headaches etc. So you can imagine my cause for concern, its unlikley Im gonna be in the same situation but I just wanna get my results asap to put my mind at rest.

Everything runs quite fast over here, they like to get your money So hopefully results will be quick.

Thats also a question I wanted to ask that Jason raised, I take it they go into a scan with an open mind and check for everything?

Thanks for the reply btw

Last edited by sparkyireland; 04-18-2007 at 09:49 AM.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:07 AM   #5
(female)

hereinwi HB User
Lightbulb Re: MRI Scan this Friday

Hey everyone!

I just recently had an MRI about a week and a half ago. It really isn't that scary but it is a pretty tight squeeze so make sure you don't move! Some clinics also offer an open MRI if you are scared of tight spaces. The results are ready in about a week for the doctor but it depends how long it takes your doctor to read the results for you to get any response. I just made a follow up appointment that I have tomorrow for him to let me know what the results are. My technician gave me headphones to listen to because the machine is really loud, it kind of sounds like you are in a video game half of the time, and the machine will shake as well. As for checking for multiple things, I had 2 different MRI's. One of my spine and one of my back, and if something terrible was to come up they would have told my doctor and informed me right away, however if they are looking for something they might wait to notify you at the follow up appointment. The machine itself does not scan your whole body, but only areas that are requested to be scanned. And sinus problems will show up in an MRI. Hope this helps!

Old 04-18-2007, 11:26 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

They will look for other issues in the area that is scanned, if the MRI can show it. For example, I had an MRI of my groin (to rule out tendon injury) and the MRI showed my lower back as well. The radiologist wrote the lumbar spine findings on the report as well as the groin findings. Make sense?

For my sinuses, they did a CT, not an MRI. So I can't help you there.

Good luck.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

though this may be posted to late, hopefuly you got pre approval for this procedure from insurance company and know if they cover this procdure or not and if they cover this procdure excatly what your co pay will be. For some insurance will not cover this unless you have met your decudutable. Normal mris vary greatly in price from facility to facility. So hopefully you did your homework well. Good luck!!! hope you get some needed answers

Old 04-20-2007, 07:55 AM   #8
(female)

hereinwi HB User

Hey Zoey,

Good advice. I am lucky since I work for the clinic that I had the test done at. My insurance is amazing and it is covered 100%.

Last edited by hereinwi; 04-20-2007 at 12:29 PM.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:00 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

i am glad for you in that and wish u sucess, United Health care denied my mri so it never got done ( for a spinal cord injury)

Old 04-20-2007, 10:08 AM   #10
(female)

hereinwi HB User

Hey Zoey,

I hate the fact that everyone in America cannot receive adequate healthcare. In my opinion everyone should have healthcare, no matter what. Nobody should be turned away for treatment or prevention because of not having insurance or because of their insurance provider.That makes me sick!

Old 04-20-2007, 12:25 PM   #11
(male)

sparkyireland HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey1 View Post
though this may be posted to late, hopefuly you got pre approval for this procedure from insurance company and know if they cover this procdure or not and if they cover this procdure excatly what your co pay will be. For some insurance will not cover this unless you have met your decudutable. Normal mris vary greatly in price from facility to facility. So hopefully you did your homework well. Good luck!!! hope you get some needed answers
Thanks for the reply, just had the scan today. I work for the family business and my dad pays a fortune for health insurance for us all, so lucky enough they covered me for the scan although I would pay any amount of money if someone could just tell me whats wrong with me The guy from the insurance company also asked me had I any other invoices from my original visits to the privite neurologist, as they would pay them also, lucky enough I was just about to post him a cheque for a nice amount of money

They will also cover me for anything else to do with me headaches, so must be quite a decent insurance policy he has taken out, I must go easy on him next time he shouts at me

The tunnel is scary enough at first, this one had a mirror pointing out, maybe they all do? This really helps cause atleast you can see your feet in the outside. No one was there to discuss my results as what I was told on page 1, they told me they would post my scans out 1st class and let my Doctor contact me.

So no news is good news (Sort off), as with many of my country men at this time of the weekend, im away to git pi***d drunk

I will let yas know the outcome, thanks again

Closed Thread