It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User
What is your pulse supposed to be?

Hi! I am 20 years old. Every time I go to the doctor, they tell me my pulse is high. It is normally around 120 resting. What can make your pulse that high? My blood pressure is normally good, but after having surgery two weeks ago, it has been a little high as well. I do have diabetes, and so I am not sue if that has anything ot do with it. When I was in the hospital for the surgery, my resting pulse went to 170 at one point, and yeah, the machine went crazy. I didn't feel any different than before, my pulse just sort of jumped, and about a half-minute later was back to normal. Just wondering what hte pulse should be, and some reasons it would be high. I know that I don't drink enough liquids, so I am constantly dehydrated, so could that cause it. I am totally not sure.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:04 PM   #2
(female)

bonzer HB User
Re: What is your pulse supposed to be?

i am surprised your doctor would tell you that your pulse was high and then not suggest what to do about it. i believe a resting pulse would be well under 100. please see another doctor about this. i don't know what being a diabetic would have to do with it. i'm sure that if you drink when thirsty you won't get dehydrated. good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2007, 07:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

I have trained myself kinda not to feel thirsty. i have always hated water, so whenever my parents decided that they would only let us drink tap water, I hated it (we had a well), and when told there was only water, I suddenly would not feel thirsty. Now, I just never feel thirsty, wven when there are options available. i keep juice and flavored waters at all times in my fridge, and yet I still don't get thirsty.
Does being dehydratedmake your pulse go higher. I have heard some people say yes, but was not completely sure.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
(male)

ILiveForMyKIDS HB User

dehyrdation can cause increased pulse rate if significant
Try to "retrain" yourself to drink more, doesn't sound very healthy not to drink. Anyways depends on the individual as to what the resting heart rate. If your young, athletic, good shape resting could be in the 40's. Taking a resting heart rate when you just sit down for a moment is not a true resting heart rate. You have to give yourself a while. Try checking it in the morning. Also, take it laying down, then stand up and take it again. If it changes tremendously, you may actually have a problem. Good Luck

J

Old 04-21-2007, 05:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Thanks. Yeah, I am not athletic or anything. When I was in the hospital, that definitely was resting. I had been laying forlike an hour by the time they hooked the machines up to me. I think though that someof that might have been nervousness. But it is still the same any time I go to the doctors office. I have started to drink mroe water. I am up to three bottles a day, and then a couple of other drinks. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it is way more htan I am used to. Hopefully it will start to do something.

Old 04-21-2007, 03:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Normal resting pulse is 70-100. A lot of the time our pulse rate will increase if your nervous when going to the GP. Ive had a fast pulse rate for about 5 years now. Mine is usually 120-175. GP does nothing about it because its normal for me. My heart is fine so doesn't bother me, but my pulse can also be normal. Varies really. However if your concerned ask your Doc to run some tests to make sure everything is ok.

Old 04-21-2007, 03:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

They have done several EKGs because they are worried about it, and they have also done an echocardiogram, but all of them come back normal, except that the pulse was high. I think that is probably just normal for me. The doctor just is always telling me that it is bad. I also have a lsight heart murmur, but don't think that that has anything to do with it.

Old 04-21-2007, 03:59 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

It could be the Heart murmur doing it hun. But Im not certain. Your doctor is probably being overly cautious because of your murmur. I had all them tests performed too and everything was normal, only picked up a fast heart rate. Maybe it is normal for you too. I really dont know hun.

Old 04-21-2007, 04:09 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Ok, thanks! It helps to know. i have ahd so many health problems, that I just tend to be nervous about stuff, because in the last 2 years I have gotten extremely sick, and had several health problems diagnosed. I just don't want to take any chances with them missing anything, because for a long time they were missing a problem with my gallbladder because no one thought of the HIDA scan, for about 5 months. they had thought it was my gallbladder, but then decided it wasn't, but it was!! So, I am just scared that they could miss anything. I am probably just paranoid, because that is what my parents have drilled into me, but they were just using my health problems to get me to move back home and stop going ot college. I can't do that! Anyways, sorry about hte lengthy post, just wanted to explain where I was coming from.

Old 04-21-2007, 04:21 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Its ok hun I understand. I've been there myself. Dont worry but get yourself re-checked in 6-12 months to be on the safe side but if you experience any other symptoms then go back to the doctor for a check up. Take care.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:50 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi bananarama. I suggest having thyroid testing done. Ask to have the Free T3, Free T4 (besides the T3 and T4) and thyroid antibody tests done in addition to the normal panel. These are all blood tests. They are not usually done but are necessary for a compreshensive view. A thyroid disorder can cause a high pulse rate.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

i have had that done, and my thyroid level have always been a little bit low. Thanks for the suggestion. They have been watching my thyroid for about 2 years now (althought hey have not put meon any medication for it. So, a low thyroid can give a high pulse? That is interesting! Now I am not as worried about it.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:55 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi bananarama I think it is usally hyperthyroidism that gives a high pulse, not hypothyroidism.

Thyroid disorders can cause many symptoms. When did you last have blood work done? Do you have a copy? If it has been some time, I recommend having the tests mentioned above done.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:55 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

I don't have a copy, but they were done about 2 or 3 months ago. Should I have them done again? So, a low thyroid wouldn't cause it?

Old 04-22-2007, 07:41 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Trixibel HB User

lots of things can affect your pulse rate. any sorts of stimulants like caffeine or nicotine. also alcohol (though it's not a stimulant) and sugar. if you have a food allergy or intolerance your pulse rate can go up after you've eaten that food. some naturopaths suggest testing for food allergies by taking the 'pulse test'. this involves taking your pulse before you eat, then eating, and testing your pulse again twenty minutes later (no running around during that twenty minute period or the test won't be an accurate indicator).

just something to consider.

also if you're a bit paranoid about your pulse rate even the act of taking it might make it go up, because you're stressed about it in the first place. maybe you should ask someone to take your pulse while you're asleep (lol)

Closed Thread