It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2007, 10:03 AM   #1
(female)

paisleypoet HB User
Ear and jaw pain

I wasn't sure where to post this. I have been having some weird symptoms the past 6 weeks. It started out with a toothache, but two visits to the dentist came up with nothing. The pain started to spread throughout my jaw and back toward my ear. It has also increased, and I am taking ibuprofen all day for the pain. Also, at the same time, I started having this weird sound in my right ear (same side as pain) that a doctor told me is pulsatile tinnitus. I can hear wooshing or buzzing noises that coincide with my heartbeat, but only when lying down, and only on my right side. I will be seeing an ENT doctor next week, and they have given me pain meds, but I am really confused. Could it just be TMJ? I do have a clicking sound in my jaw, but that joint does not hurt, and I have had no problems before. The pain is more in my lower jaw. Has anyone experienced anything like this? It has really become quite bothersome. I would appreciate any advice.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
(male)

gooby HB User
Re: Ear and jaw pain

I can't imagine it would be missed with a doc visit but your symptoms sound very similar to the early stages of a middle ear infection that I experience all too often. My infections do not take that long to reach full blown pain but who knows.

Have you gotten water in your ear recently (like about 6 weeks ago)? That is often the beginning of an ear infection. I was always the first of the year to get "swimmers ear" (simply a poor reference to how you get an infection) but since the lakes were still frozen, was quite a misnomer.

The other thing that sounds possible would be TMJ but from what I have heard from those that do have it is it does not pop up overnight. There are usually long term symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2007, 01:37 PM   #3
(female)

Mrs.Khan HB User

U r having tinnitus which is most probably due to infection in right ear .Thats y u have pain on right side and now u have tinnitus on that side .U should c an ent and take some antibiotic drops for it .It can't be tmj .Tmj pain doesn't cause tinnitus (noises that u can hear .)

Old 04-23-2007, 05:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

It actually sounds a lot like a sinus infection to me.

The ENT should be able to shed some light on it.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

It sounds like TMJ to me. Have you been checked by a dentist? You can post on the TMJ board of this website.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:45 PM   #6
(female)

paisleypoet HB User

I have taken antibiotics and they did nothing. Also blood work, x-ray. All fine. No infection. Today I had an MRI and it came back clean, no masses, tumors, anything like that. They are sending me to an oral surgeon, but I won't be able to get in for several weeks. I'm eating ibuprofen like it's candy, and I can't sleep. I'm at my wits end and the pain is getting worse. Any ideas??

Old 04-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #7
(male)

gooby HB User

please be careful with the ibuprofen. Son in law had a perforated ulcer that the surgeon said was probably due to excessive ibuprofen intake.

Closed Thread