It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User
Blood test results - what's going on?

Hi,

This is for my Nan. Her test results came back with this : Kidney is 146 (slightly failing), Anemia but it isnt B12 or Iron deficency, Thyroid is borderline.

What does the above mean? She does have kidney disease, diabetes, Diverticulitis and heart disease and high blood pressure.

I know kidney disease causes Anemia but the thyroid is a new thing. GP wants to re-test her in 3 months but Im concerned. Shes 85 and keeps falling asleep and is lethargic everyday and her legs/feet swell up like balloons. But GP isnt going to give her any medication. Just says re-test in 3 months and doesnt care how poorly Nan is feeling right now.

GP did say Thyroid is mild hence why re-testing. But Im concerned. What causes this mild abnormal Thyroid? And as for the Anemia - if it isnt Iron or B12 defincency then what is it? Something must be going on because of the test resuts. Thanks.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User
Re: Blood test results - what's going on?

Thyroid problems, specifically hypothyroidism, can cause a lot of what your Nan's going through right now. Lethargy, swelling in hands and feet, and even anemia can be symptoms of hypothyroidism.

Do you have a copy of her test results handy or can get a copy of them? It'd be interesting to see her levels. Her GP or the lab may be using the "old" ranges and going by TSH level alone. The new range for TSH, approved by the ****, is now .3-3.0. And even if her TSH level is in the "normal" range, she can have symptoms of hypothyroidism. She needs to get tested for her FT4 and FT3, as well as thyroid antibodies. At her age, she probably has nodules as well (this is quite common among older folks).

Do searches online. Educate yourself. You'll have to be able to ask the right questions if you're acting as your Nan's advocate. Push for the tests to be done. At her age and with her health, she shouldn't have to suffer needlessly because a doctor sees her as a test result and not a person.

Please keep us posted!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2007, 08:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

great advice up there,i just wanted to ask about her kidney being 146?do you have the labs availiable to you or her?just saying kidney is 146 really doesn't tell exactly what particular kidney function is 146 you know what i mean?there are many different things that are tested,most importantly are the creatinine and the GFR.Looking atthe actual lab sheet will give much more clear specifics to her overall kidney functions.i too have kidney/liver disease.is her kidneys failing because of the constant high BPs or does she have an actual labled type of kidney disease like polycystic kidney disease or one of the many others?just wondering.i hope things will get a bit better for her.getting the BPs down to a somewhat better more normal range will help alot with ongoing kidney deterioration.FB

Old 04-24-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hi there and thank you both for your replies. In regards to Nans Kidney Im not sure what the GP meant by 146. I know creatinne was mentioned and something else but I can't remember the "something else" that was mentioned. But another GP at the surgery did say Nan's in Kidney failure and this is caused by her Diabetes and its a common among Diabetics and her Kidney is causing the Anemia. Nope no names were given for the type of Kidney disease she has only her "Kidneys are failing and its caused by Diabetes". The only thing the GP did for her Kidneys was asked me to decrease her water tablet from 40mg to 20mg and re-tested her Kidneys which improved slightly but now its creeping back up to the level it was previously at (156).

Yeah I do think the Lab uses the old Thyroid testing measure. Her BP is well controlled but her Heart doc kept her on BP meds because she gets herself worked up several times a week and this makes her BP creep up. Nan also has Diverticulitis and hasn't been given any medication for this but luckily she is seeing her Gastro doc on 8th May and she will definitely give her treatment. I did get Nan some Multivitamins with Iron earlier in the hope that this would help her and relive some of the symptoms since the GP wont give her any meds for it. Personally I think as soon as anyone is Anemic they should have meds because you never know how bad it can get and I think they're "fobbing" Nan off.

I will try and get a copy of her results. I might even go the whole hog and ask for a copy of her medical records incase there is something else in there we haven't been told about. I wouldn't be suprised with out GP's.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

You never know what in the heck is actually in your own medical records til you actually get them and read thru them.i found tons of mistakes in my own and things that i had actually been Dxed with were never even written into them.i had to obtainmine when i got denied the first go round for disability.it was a real eye opener for me with reagrds to what was left out of my records.amazing really.but this was the reason i got turned down for disability,the lack of things in my own records.we fixed that and amazingly i was approved the next go round.everyone should obtain their own records at least once,just to see what is actually in them and check for mistakes.trust me,they are there for whatever reason.

your nans kidney failure is a typical thing with diabetics.one big thing here is that this WILL in most cases,always cause somelevel of anemia,it just dopes.ask about erythropotien,i know i spelled that wrong.but this is actual red blood cell type replacement that they can do for people like your nan.it gives them alot more energy and they just feel much better.they use this with cancer patients too. just a thought.

unfortunetly at this point it is a matter of just treating the symptoms of kidney failure and getting dialysis to remove the toxins from her blood that are no longer being taken out because of loss of kidney function.this too will help her just feel better getting the crap out.have they discussed kidney transplant at all with her?depending on her age,this is an option for her.unfortunetly kidney failure will lead to some nasty things if she doesn't obtain a new kidney.alot tho depends on her overall health and age.a familiy memeber can donate a kidney to her if needed,they just have to match in certain areas.all family members who would want to do this for her should be tested for a possible match.just a suggestion for you.i hope things get better for her.good luck,FB

Old 04-25-2007, 01:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hiya FB & thank you for your reply. Nope the GP hasn't mentioned anything to Nan or myself with regard to a Kidney transplant or or any treatment options for her. All we were told is that she wont she wont dialysis until her levels are between 400-500 & she's got a little way to go yet for this. Is there anything we can do to postpone the Kidneys becoming more worse?

Yes I'll definitely get the medical records. I wouldn't be suprised about some things showing up that we never knew Nan had or the GPs putting it down to being "all in her mind." She hasn't been well at all today & keeps feeling faint & to top it all off she's came down with a chest infection. The GP wouldn't do a home visit so I told them she needs Antibiotics & Steroids but wont get these until tomorrow. She's still taking the multivitamins that contain Iron but I guess it will take weeks until these have any effect on her. I wished they worked overnight just so she didn't feel so poorly.

I'm going to see if I can get some more blood tests out of the GPs - especially ones to see what type of Anemia she has and the Thyroid panel. I honestly do think waiting 3 months for a re-test is ridiculous, especially with the way Nan is health wise. If there is a option of a Transplant then I'll definitely get tested for her. Im the same blood type but I know that I'll also need to be the same tissue type match - fingers crossed for this but it probably wont be a option. How fast do Kidneys become worse?

Thank you again x

Closed Thread