It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
(female)

Mrs.Khan HB User
Is diet coke dangerous ?

I have read on a number of sites that artificial sweeteners can cause cancer or affect mood and memory .But I read on FDA site that these have been proven wrong .I drink 2-3 glasses of diet coke a day with meals .I am worried .Has anyone had a bad experience with diet coke or any artificial sweetener?

Old 04-22-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
(female)

alien7 HB User
Re: Is diet coke dangerous ?

I've heard of the possible dangers of artificial sweeteners and at one time the FDA even said so themselves that one particular artificial sugar was indeed bad for us which was Aspartame. So, ya know it makes you wonder why all of a sudden they changed their minds about it. Personally, I don't trust artificial sweeteners , i'd rather stick to good old sugar. Then again it's your choice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2007, 03:54 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

innerstrength86 HB User

If you're drinking that much soda, I'd stick with diet. Regular sodas have a lot of empty calories...
If you're worried about artificial sweetners, there's one thing you can do, replace soda with water. I think it's still too early to know for sure what harm, if any, they do.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Just do an internet search for nutrasweet and aspartme sweeteners...........there's tons of info on the health risks.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:51 PM   #5
(female)

shaunsgrl HB User

I was actually just reading an e-mail about this woman and aspertame. She got really sick and was forced to use a wheel chair. Doctors thought she had MS and she was dying. She made plans on what to do with all her belongings. Then she came across this story about diet sodas. Well, here, she actually had aspertame poisoning. She stopped drinking diet soda and now she can walk and has no health problems. Just looking up the different things that aspertame contains will make you want to stay away from it.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:02 AM   #6
(male)

chessknt87 HB User

To fully understand the risks involved in food consumption, you must first understand what cancer is. A really succinct description of cancer is that it is an accumulation of mutations in a cell-line's DNA that bypass enough checks to lead to uncontrolled growth.

Your cells are constantly exposed to mutagens (substances that cause mutations to DNA) ranging from hydroxyl radicals in water to UV rays from the sun. In terms of what you have control over, food hosts a wealth of radical-inducing agents. Practically everything you eat has the potential to create radicals, even the essential nutrient of metabolism, glucose, is dangerous to a cells since it has a free hydroxyl group that is capable of generating more free radicals (thus explaining the large amount of organ failure in uncontrolled diabetes).

With that being said, you must consider what you are putting into your body and weigh the health risks with how much you enjoy it. While aspartame is not natural and may carry a greater threat in terms of its radical generating ability, it may or may not be less dangerous than consuming large amounts of fructose in normal soda since it also can damage DNA by a similar mechanism.

Ultimately the question comes down to whether or not you want to give up soda and stop a behavior that has the potential of causing cancer, or if you want to enjoy soda and take the risk of possibly getting cancer. As an extreme case, I had a chemistry teacher who literally stopped eating for months because he was so scared of food radicals. He almost died of starvation and even now he is very thing and eats only home grown raw vegetables. In a way he is right since everything we eat, whether it be steak of cooked broccoli, can damage our DNA, but would an extra 10-20 years of cancer-free life be worth such a stringent diet to you? It is a personal question you need to make for yourself.

What you need to do is decide whether or not you accept the risk, then just live your life and stop worrying. Enjoy the time you have and try to spend it in ways you want to instead of worrying about how much more you might have left.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:13 AM   #7
(female)

Mainegirl HB User

I think if you drink too much of anything it will be no good for you. As for the testing on the mice, they were fed 1 to 2 pounds of it a day!!!! That much of any foreign substance is enough to cause some kind of reaction...

That's like a 100lb human eating over 100lbs of the sweetner a day!!!

Old 05-21-2007, 01:22 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Aspartame gives me and my mom migraines, and it gives my dad memory problems. I don't drink diet soda (mostly because it tastes gross), but I can't chew any sugarless gum (or have any candy with aspartame in it), because if I do for more than one day in a row, I get a migraine.

Last edited by SentenceDoing; 05-21-2007 at 01:25 PM.

Closed Thread