It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007, 04:43 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User
swollen glands-come and go?

Hi I have been suffering with a cold for about a month now. I believe it has turned into a sinus infection so I'm going to the doc tomorrow but just wanted to ask if any one gets this. The glands in my neck keep swelling(and are very painful) but then they go down and back up again. Anyone experience this? I have had swollen glands before but they usually stay that way until the infection is gone. Any input would be great. Thanks.
Kara

Old 04-23-2007, 07:36 AM   #2
(female)

nikw500 HB User
Re: swollen glands-come and go?

Hi Kara,

My glands have been up and down since I had a glandular fever type thing 5 years ago so I know how miserable it is :-(. Things like tiredness, viruses make mine worse but they can just come up for no reason. Anything seem to cause yours? Painkillers help and I try gentle neck exercises which relieve the pain a bit.

Good luck at the doctor and hope things improve soon.

Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2007, 07:57 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

Yeah I had this too. My glands would go up and down for over 2 years. Kept being put on Cipro but they really never went down. Was told it was a sinus infection too. After I couple of years they stopped swelling. They still do swell up now and then. Have no idea why had all kinda of blood work down and all is fine. If they swell up now I just left them and sooner or later they wil go down on their own. I'm guessing it's an allergic reaction to something. I just never bothered to find out what.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

YOu have several sets of glands in your body that will swell as they fight off infection. In your neck, in your arm pit, in your groin. It it completely natural and nothing to get too worked up over. It is your body's way of fighting off "germs." They are part of your immune system working to keep you healthy.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

I know they swell to fight infection but I've never had them be sooo.. painful and swolen one day and not so much the next and so on and so on. I am definitley sick with something because I feel awful and have for about a month that started with a bad sore throat and cold symptoms but never went away. I did have mono when I was 14 (am 39 now) and remember feeling quite similar to this but I thought you could only get that once? I can literally fall asleep anytime and this is not normal for me.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

YOu can get mono more than once as there are two different strains of mono. You might want to be checked to make sure that you aren't fighting that nasty little bug.

Did you run a fever? Were you checked for strep? Might be worth getting checked out.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:32 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Fever-yes but not high. Not checked yet but am going tomorrow. HUH, didn't know there were 2 strains of mono. Thanks for the reply. My throat doesn't look bad though, but it does hurt quite a bit to swallow. Most of the pain seems to be in the actual glands now but did start of as a very bad sore throat. The fever comes and goes too.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:38 PM   #8
(female)

YuliaNichya HB User

Are you very tired? Your throat does not have to look very bad in order for it to NOT be Mono? Besides your neck glands, are any of your other lymph nodes swollen (under the arms, spleen,groin area? Do your tonsils look swollen? is your throat Inflammed? yes you can get mono more than once, Once you have it, you always have it, but the symptoms will appear at random times like if your under alot of stress?

Old 06-11-2007, 04:09 AM   #9
(female)

tetianainto HB User

Hi, I had similar symptoms as you. Sore throat, painful swollen glands in the neck and under the chin (and ear pain - likely referred pain from the throat), low grade fever. This lasted for 3 months and midway my doc labelled it "the 100 day virus". I thought I was going crazy.....being sick all the time - esp. with the gland pain which I had never experienced so intensely. This year, I have heard many people had strange viruses....often throat-related, and long lasting.

You are going to the doc today, which is good. As the others have said, eliminate strep and get checked for mono - I did this as well. My virus lasted more than three months and I thought it must be something more sinister, because the symptoms came and went (but never completely) and lasted so long. If it is a virus...keep in mind it may not go away quickly. Good luck at the doc.
c

Last edited by tetianainto; 06-11-2007 at 04:11 AM.

Closed Thread