It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2007, 04:18 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User
Lab results

Hi! I had some labwork after my surgery a few weeks ago. it showed that my globulin levels were 4.0 when the scale is 2.2-3.9. My platelet levels were 414,000 when the scale was 140,000-400,000. Are these bad? Not sure. And, just out of curiosity, what levels are your sugars supposed to be? I am a diabetic with no formal training, no specific diet, and just really confused. In the hospital my sugars never got over 116, and the range went to 110. My doctor said that I had to go back on my glucophage, but it seems to me that my sugars were pretty good. I don't want to cause them to shoot down by taking the medication. i am taking it right now, but will talk to my other doctor on Thursday of next week. I am just so confused.
I had my gallbladder out. The pathologist report stated that my gallbladder was grossly normal. Like, my HIDA showed it functioning at 9.5%, so I don't know what to think. Hmmm...
Please help.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User
Re: Lab results

I think your Globuin level is very mildly high - only slightly high and this is usually classed as borderline. Your Doctor may re-test you in 4-6 weeks for this but do mention it to your Doctor.

Your Platelet levels are slightly raised also. Get your Doctor to re-test this soon. Recent operations can sometimes cause blood cells to raise slightly so please don't be alarmed but do get re-checked to be on the safe side.

As for your Diabetes - post on the Diabetic board about this and you will find a lot of knowledgeable people who will tell you what to do. However you should of been referred to a Dietician by your Doctor and these will advise you on what foods you can eat and what you need to avoid and so on. ******** some information on what foods you can eat or need to avoid off the internet and print this off. It will help you to learn hun. Also find out what levels are correct for you. It would be very advisable if you purchased a glucose testing monitor and check your levels several times throughout the day and record the result in a diary specifically for this. This will help you to be accustomed to your levels etc. Good luck x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2007, 01:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Hi! what is globulin? I know what the others are, but I really don't know what that is. I do test my sugars regularly, and they aren't really bad. the highest it usually goes is in the 140s, but it normally stays in the low 100s, so that isn't to bad, although it is still gets high sometimes. It has only been in the 200s 1 time since surgery, so that is good. I watch my carb intake! thank you so much for your help! I appreciate it.

Last edited by bananarama; 04-27-2007 at 01:15 PM.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Your welcome hun. I had to look up Globulin for you and I found this out:

Globulin is any of a class of proteins that are found extensively in blood plasma, milk, muscle, and plant seeds and that are insoluble in pure water and half saturated ammonium sulfate, soluble in dilute salt solution, and coagulable by heat.

That's great your levels are doing well. You're definitely doing something right then with your Diabetes but it never hurts to have information available to you just incase you ever need it

Old 04-27-2007, 06:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Thank you so much for doing that for me! I appreciate it. Yeah, I am quite proud of myself for actually taking care of myself now. At first when I found out I was diabetic, about a year and a half ago, I was bitter, and in denial. My friends would all ask me if I wanted candy, and I would say yes, then they would remember, and snatch it right back. Yeah, it was pretty rough at first, but now it is so much easier, and I hae lost a lot of weight on it. Pretty cool. I actually called a dietician todayto get info on my diet, and they are going to be helping me out by sending info on ym numerous restrictions, and then I can live a healthy relatively pain free life if I stick to it, and I can lose the extra pounds. I am 5'2 and weigh 205. I wear a size 16/18. In my surgeons report I was called morbidly obese, adn I really want to change that. I am just deciding that I am going to have to start walking a couple of miles a day, and drinking water, and eating right.
thanks again! I seriously appreciate it.

Closed Thread