It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2007, 10:37 AM   #1
(male)

rob1985 HB User
Mono question

Someone who is a doctor please answer me a few questions if you could: first of all, I know I briefly shared a drink (one quick sip of a straw) with a mono infected person on April 5. Two weeks (and one day) later on friday the 20th I came down with a bad sore throat. Saturday morning my throat was very sore but it got better as the day went on. Saturday night my throat felt bad then I woke up and it felt pretty decent sunday morning but by 11 am felt bad and sunday night was more sore then I can remember. That night I also felt lymph nodes swelled because it felt like there was somethig just sitting in the middle of my throat although it never affected my swallowing and when I rubbed my neck I couldn't see any noticable swelling. I woke up with a sore throat on monday but it after an hour or two went away but I still felt like I had a golf ball in my neck. I saw my doctor and he said he didn't think I had mono because symptoms were getting better rather than worse and I never had fever, aches, or sever fatigue- not even mild fatigue. He said because my symptoms appeared to be getting better on their own that I had a mild case of strep throat and if it was mono there would have been other symptoms and my throat probaly would have worsened. He took a culture and said it might come up negative anyways because I was recovering. He perscribed the antibiodic Cephalhexin as a preaution. Tuesday after taking just one dose I woke up with a rash consisting of countless small bumps over my chest, arms (especially the inside), upper back, neck and face. I ceased taking the meds and called my doctors office. They said because my culture for strep came up negative they wouldn't reperscribe anything. The rash went away, but everyday since then (tuesday, wed, thurs, and fri) at certain points of the day usually sometime in the afternoon the feeling that there is something in my throat comes back. It is never as intense or annoying but still has been there. However I am unable to fell any swelling when touching my neck and when distracted from it I stop noticing it most times. Weds and thurs morning I woke up with a sore throat that went away after 25 mins or so. Each morning I also wake up with a stuffy nose and minor cough. Today (sat April 28) is the first day where I woke up with a stuffed nose only but it always dissappears after an hour or less. I have an occasional cough each day usually filled with some flem. My only other symptom is that I have experienced a slight loss in appetitie since monday. I question because I have read that incubation period for mono is at least 4 weeks from all sources and I experienced symptoms 2 weeks after exposure. I am wondering If it is possible I have mono or if you believe my doctors diagnosis was correct.

One more question: I have read it is wise to obstain from alcohol consumption while infected with mono because it can damage the liver. Any details as to what happens to the liver? Is it harmful to continuosly consume alcohol or would one time drinking alchol be all that is needed to do damage? Would two nights consecutively of moderate to heavy drinking be very harmful? Specifically what could happen? Answers to any questions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2007, 01:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User
Re: Mono question

Hi Rob,

I dont think there is any Doctors on HB only knowledgeable people who have experienced the same things as yourself and can advise you.

The rash you had after taking Antibiotics is classic of MONO. People who are infected with MONO cannot take Antibiotics because in 60% of cases a rash will develop. This happened to me also.

MONO usually does start with a sore throat. In the majority of cases MONO begins with Tonsilitis which in-turn causes the lymph nodes in the neck to become enlarged. You do have symptoms of MONO. Arrange for your Doctor to perform a MONO Spot test or see another Doctor and ask for the same blood test.

Once someone comes into contact with a infected person, providing you haven't had MONO yourself then there is a strong chance you will become infected with MONO and you will become infected with MONO within 5-7 weeks of coming into contact with the above person. Because you only came into contact with the infected person 2-3 weeks ago then MONO may be in its early stages and you may notice your symptoms will become more noticeable to you and/or others. Its also very possible that MONO has already run its course and will soon be out of your system. MONO usually infects people for 7 weeks - in a mild case, even less.

MONO causes a enlarged spleen and in severe cases a enlarged Liver. Consumming alcohol regularly when your Liver is enlarged with MONO can cause other health problems. One time drinking alcohol will not result in Liver damage. If you continue to drink regularly to a moderate/heavy level while infected with MONO then this could be harmful to the Liver but this only occurs in very rare cases. MONO is rarely dangerous or life threatening as its simply 2 viruses that develop into MONO and causes a lot of nasty symptoms. Hope this helped.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
(male)

rob1985 HB User

Thank you very very much it relieves a lot of stress from me.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Your welcome hun and I hope you're feeling better soon x

Old 04-28-2007, 04:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

I'm not sure why anyone infected with mono would want to drink at all anyway, since when I had it was pretty much nauseated the entire time and could hardly even eat, let alone want to drink alchol!

That's just a really very strange question to ask?

Old 04-28-2007, 06:10 PM   #6
(male)

rob1985 HB User

Well I don't have mono (I think) and I am a senior in college. Next weekend is my last weekend of college ever and I would like to live it up a little bit. You make a good point, and the way I feel now I probably would be able to do anything I really don't have a loss of energy and have no nausea, just a decreased appetitie. I also should mention about my reaction that Cephalhexin is a Penicillin derivitive and I think I'm allergic to Penicillin (took it for Strep as a young kid and threw up everytime). I would feel up for anything tonight but I can't because I am home for the weekend. But you helped out a lot and thanks for your advice. Hope my question seems a little more logical now. Not that I'm an alcoholic by any means but I'm an of age college student living my last moments as a irresponsible kid before I go into the real world.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:41 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Well, technically, you won't really be a part of the "real world" until you get a job. So you've probably got more than just 1 weekend left where you can do that.

But I'm sure you probably don't have mono. The thing is, if you had mono, you would seriously be feeling all over crappy in a really bad way. You wouldn't be able to do much of anything.

Closed Thread