It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

bride527 HB User
Anyone know anything about Lymphodema??

My son is 30 years old and had a blood clot in his leg 7 years ago.....a piece of heavy metal fell on his foot....He was on a blood thinner for a while, lucky for him the clot has been gone for a few years.....His leg is swollen, he has lyphodema as a result. He recently got a bad cut on his swollen leg.. it is a wound. he is on antibiodics and is putting a solution on it.....My question is, his dr. told him it may take a while to heal, does anyone know anything about this condition? He wears a compression stocking for the swelling....I know the cut is infected. It just happend this week and he has seen a dr. about the infection. Any comments?? bride527

Old 04-30-2007, 04:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User
Re: Anyone know anything about Lymphodema??

While I don't know much about the condition, did a little searching on line. Your son has what is called secondary lymphodema, due to it being caused by an injury. Secondary lymphodema results when the lymph system becomes inured or is removed due to surgery. It causes a backup in the lymphatic sytem, causing all kinds of waste products to pool. This can cause swelling, cracking of the skin, and an infection of underlying tissue called cellulitis.

Since he has an infection, it's a good thing he's been to the dr already and needs to be closely monitored. He should not wear the compression stocking while he has the infection. Keep an eye on the infection. It will probably be slow to heal.

Please let us know how it goes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2007, 06:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello Bride

Sorry to hear about your son's problem. I have lymphodema in one of my legs as a result of cancer surgery and radiation. Many lymphnodes were destroyed as a result. Have also been hospitalized on a number of occassions due to cellulitis, as the previous poster explained.

To try and avoid complications in general from my condition, I need to keep my leg elevated when resting in bed to help alleveiate the swelling. Also, I have learned to use cold compresses on the leg when it is painful to get the swelling down. I really prefer heat on it, but the cold is what reduces the swelling. Sometimes, after the cold is applied, I do apply heat to help with the pain.

The whole ordeal is more understandable to me when I think of it in terms of women who have had breast cancer and what they endure when the lymphnodes are involved and have to be removed. Same scenerio, just a different body part.

Best wishes to your hubby. And what a good wife you are to get on here and post for him... if he is anything like my hubby, he lets me do it for him, also. chuckles.

reachout

Old 04-30-2007, 06:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

because of his situation,you really really DO need to keep a close eye on that infection.he may end up needing IV antibiotics just to clear it.they can actually do this at home now even if you have never run an IV in your life,they have kind of a neat set up where all you do is flush the line ,do the IV and then flush again and place a heparin block into it,and your done.we had to do this for our son once for 14 days.but this particular type of infection,and because of the sluggish circulation that comes along with it,just has more room for complications.don't take any chances with it,K?

if the area starts generating more heat than normal or it just starts to look more nasty,get him seen asap.i wish you luck with this.please keep us posted.FB

Reachout,did you get a clean bill of health with your cancer?is it all gone now?just hoping its gone now for you.FB

Old 05-01-2007, 07:08 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bride527 HB User

Thanks so much for the responses. I am keeping a close eye on it....I personally think he should go to the emergency room and be checked. He is in between jobs right now and doesn't have health coverage. He doesn't want to go the hospital....For now he is taking his antibiotics. Has been on them for 5 days so far and will get another refill. he is cleaning it daily and not wearing his compression stockings for now. It is starting to look better not worse, if i see it worsening.....I will drag him to the hospital if i have to. (typical mom).....bride527

Closed Thread