It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2007, 09:23 AM   #1
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 159
BumpkinPumpkin HB User
Can too much water be toxic?

I am wanting to know if too much water can actually be toxic to the system? I know the general rule is 8 8oz glasses everyday. But, everyone is different. For example, I drank 72 oz yesterday and I felt bloated and gassy! Also, when I drink water on an empty stomach, I feel nauseated. It doesn't help that I don't like water anyway, but, I usually drink about 24 oz a day and thought I would drink alot yesterday to flush out my system, which I did, but I was miserable! Also, does your body ever get used to alot of water to where maybe you don't go to the bathroom sooooo much? Usually, if I have to go and I haven't drank alot of water, I can hold it if I have to, but when I drink alot of water and have to go, it hurts to hold it! Ya know what I mean? Thanks to all who reply!

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 04-30-2007, 09:29 AM   #2
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: california
Posts: 88
alien7 HB User
Re: Can too much water be toxic?

Yes, If you drink too much water it can deplete the sodium levels in your body and kill you. It's called water intoxication.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 04-30-2007, 09:32 AM   #3
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MI
Posts: 263
jujubeez725 HB User
Re: Can too much water be toxic?

LOL Bumpkin!

Please don't drink water when you're hungry! It will definitley make you feel nauseated.

I've heard at least 2 doctors say you should drink half your weight in water each day. So, if you weigh 130, you should drink about 65 ounces of water per day, or the usual eight 8-oz. glasses of water per day.

I do drink more because, yes, I weigh more.

But please make sure you eat something before or even while you drink water.
Also, you say you don't like water? Have you tried any of the new flavored waters? Aquafina and a whole lot of other brands are out there, and they are great! They're not too sweet, not over-powering with fruit flavor, either, but they're a great way to enjoy water with a little flavor added.

 
Old 04-30-2007, 10:24 AM   #4
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 159
BumpkinPumpkin HB User
Re: Can too much water be toxic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujubeez725 View Post
LOL Bumpkin!

Please don't drink water when you're hungry! It will definitley make you feel nauseated.

I've heard at least 2 doctors say you should drink half your weight in water each day. So, if you weigh 130, you should drink about 65 ounces of water per day, or the usual eight 8-oz. glasses of water per day.

I do drink more because, yes, I weigh more.

But please make sure you eat something before or even while you drink water.
Also, you say you don't like water? Have you tried any of the new flavored waters? Aquafina and a whole lot of other brands are out there, and they are great! They're not too sweet, not over-powering with fruit flavor, either, but they're a great way to enjoy water with a little flavor added.
Yes, I have tried the flavored water, but I think I would drink less because of the sweet taste all the time, I don't know, I never had alot of intake of fluids (except pop) and I don't really drink pop anymore. Probably why I have kidney stone issues. I can sit down and eat a meal and not drink anything because by that time, I'm too full to drink!

 
Old 04-30-2007, 10:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: royal oak mi 48067
Posts: 873
marian100 HB User
Re: Can too much water be toxic?

you should definitely drink a cetain amount of liquids a day. it doesn't neccesarily have to be water. also water intoxication usually happens if you drink large amounts at one time. like gallons. God bless

 
Old 04-30-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: california
Posts: 88
alien7 HB User
Re: Can too much water be toxic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marian100 View Post
also water intoxication usually happens if you drink large amounts at one time. like gallons. God bless
A person doesn't have to drink gallons of water for water intoxication to occur it can happen just by drinking water to rapidly depleting the eletrolytes that's why it's good to drink gatorade along with water.

 
Old 05-01-2007, 11:26 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 463
adamace1 HB User
Re: Can too much water be toxic?

I remember last year some mother was in a contest to win a Nintendo WII for her son she didn't drink even a gallon and she died.

 
Old 05-01-2007, 01:30 PM   #8
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 159
BumpkinPumpkin HB User
Re: Can too much water be toxic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamace1 View Post
I remember last year some mother was in a contest to win a Nintendo WII for her son she didn't drink even a gallon and she died.

REALLY???? What happened??

 
Old 05-01-2007, 08:01 PM   #9
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 138
Jason27 HB User
Re: Can too much water be toxic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpkinPumpkin View Post
REALLY???? What happened??
That was a few months ago I don't think it was last year. There was a radio contest "Hold your Wii" or something like that where the winner who goes the longest without using the restroom wins or something like that and she died. The people at the radio station got fired and that is when everyone began talking about water intoxication. To the second person who said that if you drink too much water it is water intoxication, I thought if you used the restroom you would be ok?

 
Old 05-01-2007, 08:33 PM   #10
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: california
Posts: 88
alien7 HB User
Re: Can too much water be toxic?

Quote:
To the second person who said that if you drink too much water it is water intoxication,
I never said drinking too much water IS water intoxication, I just said If you drink too much water it can deplete sodium levels and cause water intoxication.

Quote:
I thought if you used the restroom you would be ok?
Nope, going to the restrom wouldn't help. You would have to replace the eletrolytes you lost to get the sodium levels back up and one way to do that is by drinking water that isotonic.

Last edited by alien7; 05-01-2007 at 08:33 PM.

 
Old 05-02-2007, 06:54 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ohio
Posts: 495
ILYF HB User
Re: Can too much water be toxic?

24 oz of water for the day is absolutely NOT enough! For water to be toxic, you have to drink a lot of water at a time. To drink a gallon of water for the entire day is not too much water! It's easy enough to internet search for water poisoning and get the answers you need!

 
Old 05-02-2007, 09:36 AM   #12
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 159
BumpkinPumpkin HB User
Re: Can too much water be toxic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien7 View Post
I never said drinking too much water IS water intoxication, I just said If you drink too much water it can deplete sodium levels and cause water intoxication.



Nope, going to the restrom wouldn't help. You would have to replace the eletrolytes you lost to get the sodium levels back up and one way to do that is by drinking water that isotonic.
So, how much water intake should you take say like in an hour? I tend to drink alot all at once so that I can get my 60 oz in because if I string it out, I more than likely won't do it. Like right now, I have been up for 4.5 hours this morning and haven't drank a drop yet. I go from one extreme to another!

 
Old 05-02-2007, 09:37 AM   #13
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 159
BumpkinPumpkin HB User
Re: Can too much water be toxic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILYF View Post
24 oz of water for the day is absolutely NOT enough! For water to be toxic, you have to drink a lot of water at a time. To drink a gallon of water for the entire day is not too much water! It's easy enough to internet search for water poisoning and get the answers you need!
(laughing) mine has an ex like that too!!!!

 
Old 05-02-2007, 10:24 AM   #14
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: california
Posts: 88
alien7 HB User
Re: Can too much water be toxic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpkinPumpkin View Post
So, how much water intake should you take say like in an hour? I tend to drink alot all at once so that I can get my 60 oz in because if I string it out, I more than likely won't do it. Like right now, I have been up for 4.5 hours this morning and haven't drank a drop yet. I go from one extreme to another!
You can drink a bottle of water or two in that amount of time as long as it's moderate and you aren't over doing it.

 
Old 05-02-2007, 12:44 PM   #15
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 159
BumpkinPumpkin HB User
Re: Can too much water be toxic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien7 View Post
You can drink a bottle of water or two in that amount of time as long as it's moderate and you aren't over doing it.
24 oz or what size are you talking? How do you know when you are really over doing it?

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
are water pills bad for you nevaeh08 Weight Loss 5 02-26-2010 04:02 PM
Chlorine in water miyu Allergies 9 10-17-2007 01:29 AM
How much acetaminophen? 72575 Addiction & Recovery 21 06-05-2007 10:15 PM
Lead in Water? inhisglory Healthy Lifestyle 5 01-12-2006 04:02 AM
Flourinated water ok during pregnancy??? iona_23 Pregnancy 8 07-01-2005 12:00 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:21 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!