It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
(female)

BumpkinPumpkin HB User
Can a sunburn make you ache?

Okay, let me be the first to say, that I do not even come close to being a sunbunny. I have fair skin and I decided to lay out to get some color yesterday and I wasn't even out that long and now I look like a lobster! Anyway, I put aloe vera on so the burn itself did not bother me but I have an ache around the crease of my forearm/elbow and wanted to know if a sunburn can cause the ache? I did life some chairs to but they weren't that heavy, just akward to carry. Thanks for the replies!

Old 05-01-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User
Re: Can a sunburn make you ache?

Sunburns zap your energy. Think of a sunburn like you would heat stroke. Your body has been burned and is not able to cool it's self off. It leaves your body depleted and feeling injured. So rest up. Apply some aloe. For pain relief, begin taking ibuprofen ie Advil, Motrin. Drink extra water on the first day to replace the fluids lost into the sunburn and to prevent dehydration and dizziness. Take cool baths and take vitamins C and E. They can help byy reducing the sunburn reaction.

A sunburn is an injury. Just as if you were to be burned by steam from cooking of heat from the oven.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
(female)

BumpkinPumpkin HB User

Oh...never thought of it that way. Thanks!

Old 05-02-2007, 07:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

try putting a paper towel soaked in listerine.i know it is smelly but becasue of the alcohol in the listerine(or generic of) it actually takes away the sting.alcohol IS a form of anesthetic so this really soes work for the pain.it helps reduce the chances of peeling too when applied as soon as you realize you actually have that burn.if this is just plain redness with no blistering,it would be considered a first degree burn,just like any other burn.if it blisters or swelling sets in,you would have a second degree burn.these sunburns are the exact same thing as any other type of burn you can get from any heat source and they need to be treated that way.pain is a huge part of any type of burn.taking aleeve or advil would really be the best type of pain reliever but if this too out of control,just see your doc for something possibly a bit stronger, you DO have an actual burn going on there,and do not forget that.it can be just as serious as any other type of burn.the listerine thing really really does help alot for pain.i have used this for many years now.good luck and hopefully in the next day or two that pain will go away for you.please let us know how you are doing,K? take care,FB

Old 05-02-2007, 08:33 AM   #5
(female)

BumpkinPumpkin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
try putting a paper towel soaked in listerine.i know it is smelly but becasue of the alcohol in the listerine(or generic of) it actually takes away the sting.alcohol IS a form of anesthetic so this really soes work for the pain.it helps reduce the chances of peeling too when applied as soon as you realize you actually have that burn.if this is just plain redness with no blistering,it would be considered a first degree burn,just like any other burn.if it blisters or swelling sets in,you would have a second degree burn.these sunburns are the exact same thing as any other type of burn you can get from any heat source and they need to be treated that way.pain is a huge part of any type of burn.taking aleeve or advil would really be the best type of pain reliever but if this too out of control,just see your doc for something possibly a bit stronger, you DO have an actual burn going on there,and do not forget that.it can be just as serious as any other type of burn.the listerine thing really really does help alot for pain.i have used this for many years now.good luck and hopefully in the next day or two that pain will go away for you.please let us know how you are doing,K? take care,FB
I put aloe vera on it which was very cold but for the most part, the pain has gone away and the redness is down. I just wondered if sunburns can actually make your muscles ache? Anyone know? Thanks for the tip!!!!!

Old 05-02-2007, 09:37 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

Yep they can make your muscles ache. Your injured so your body reacts to it. Especially if you are not drinking fluids your muscles are probably dehydrated.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:18 AM   #7
(female)

BumpkinPumpkin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromSqueaky View Post
Yep they can make your muscles ache. Your injured so your body reacts to it. Especially if you are not drinking fluids your muscles are probably dehydrated.

Oh! Okay, thanks!

Old 05-03-2007, 01:10 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

happymom28 HB User

Oh sunburns can definately make you ache!

A couple of years ago I go a really bad sunburn, and for some reason it was the worst on my legs compared to the rest of my body. I could barely walk the pain was so bad in my calf muscles. I tried aloe and it did nothing.

Sunburns drain you of your energy and dehydrate you. Dehydration can cause the pain in your muscles as well. Drink plenty of water or something that is meant to replenish the body with electrolytes (I'm not sure if we can use specific names of products, but you know what I mean).

Old 05-03-2007, 01:26 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

There is natural aloe that you can buy. It's a bit sticky going on once it dries it's not stick anymore. It works great.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:29 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Tivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB User

I've been really achy and feverish and generally not well feeling after my sunburns.

You have to be really careful. Skin cancer happens to people who get bad sunburns frequently.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:14 PM   #11
(female)

BumpkinPumpkin HB User

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your replies!

Gotta love these boards!!!!!

Closed Thread