HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   General Health (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/general-health/)
-   -   Spider Bite or Infection Maybe?? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/general-health/495547-spider-bite-infection-maybe.html)

Valencia88 05-02-2007 12:13 AM

Spider Bite or Infection Maybe??

About a week and a half ago I woke up with what I thought might be a spider bite or somethingÖ I had never seen anything like it. In the center there is a dark blueish almost lump type deal under the surface of the skin, its not protruding or a gaping wound or even open at all like with a small cut at the center or anything. Then around it the skin is bright blood red for about three inches in every directionÖ over the next few days the red streched further but my mom was in the hospital so I didnít have time to really pay attention to it. I figured I was okay since there hasnít been any pain really. Putting pressure doesnít hurt it at all, only when i lightlly run my fingers over it its kind of a slight sharp pain. Also, a few days after that I got what seems to be the flu. fever of 103 or so, aches, chills, tired a lot.. im not sure if its related because i always get the flu this time of year. It seems odd for a spider bite because of the location, but oh well.
What the heck do you think this is? I have sort of a huge fear of doctors, so I really do anything to avoid them, but I donít want for this to develop into something dangerous. And if it is a spider bite... its not usual with the "bullseye" type with the bite, then skin, then redness. there's no skin between the blueish lump and the redness. its like it sits in the redness.

Nyxie63 05-02-2007 03:37 AM

Re: Spider Bite or Infection Maybe??

From what you've described, it doesn't sound like an infection, although your flu-like symptoms could indicate it as such. As for spider bites, most spider bites aren't anything to worry about, but this worries me. Please, see your dr. If your dr can't see you then go to the ER. This really needs to be checked out. Today. Now. Go.

Please keep us posted.

peace1910 05-02-2007 04:49 AM

sounds very much like some kind of spider or bug bite and some can be dangerous as they eat the flesh around them...please..please get it checked out as soon as you can and let us know how you are doing.....peace:mad:

Longview 05-02-2007 10:47 AM

my dad had pretty much the same thing you are describing and i kid you not he went to the doctor and it turned out to be a spider sac of eggs that got infected...im dead serious. this also happened to my science teacher on his leg.
i dont mean to scare you but this is possible to happen.

jujubeez725 05-02-2007 10:54 AM

GEEZ!

You mean you haven't gone to see a doctor YET????!!!!!

If you don't get up and go to an emergency room somewhere, I know you'd better!

That's nothing to play with. It could be some kind of insect bite; maybe something literally got under your skin and is laying eggs--who knows????

Does it itch? It almost sounds like ringworm, with the exception of the blue-ish color... but at any rate, GET TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM AND SEE A DOCTOR!

You keep it up and next thing you know, you'll be needing an amputation b/c gangrene done set up in your arm.

Now get off the boards and get to a doctor ASAP!!!

FromSqueaky 05-02-2007 11:29 AM

Where I live there is a spider called the brown recluse. When it bites a person it injects a flesh eating poison into the skin. If not treated you could loose a chunk of skin or your arm. I watched a show about it on the Discovery channel then I looked it up to see more pictures on it. It's really spooky. It's a brown spider. There is a dark violin-shaped mark on its back, with the neck of the violin pointing toward the butt of the spider.

They are found in Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, parts of North & South Carolina, Kentucky, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Iowa, Indiana, lower small part of Ohio, Georgia, Alabama

I'd get it checked out soon. What you are describing sounds an awful lot like that kind of spider bite.

jujubeez725 05-02-2007 11:36 AM

[QUOTE=FromSqueaky;2958738]Where I live there is a spider called the brown recluse. When it bites a person it injects a flesh eating poison into the skin. If not treated you could loose a chunk of skin or your arm. I watched a show about it on the Discovery channel then I looked it up to see more pictures on it. It's really spooky. It's a brown spider. There is a dark violin-shaped mark on its back, with the neck of the violin pointing toward the butt of the spider.

They are found in Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, parts of North & South Carolina, Kentucky, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Iowa, Indiana, lower small part of Ohio, Georgia, Alabama

I'd get it checked out soon. What you are describing sounds an awful lot like that kind of spider bite.[/QUOTE]
[B]When it bites a person it injects a flesh eating poison into the skin[/B] :eek:

[B]If not treated you could loose a chunk of skin or your arm[/B]

That's exactly what I'm saying ... :wave:

[B]I'd get it checked out soon. What you are describing sounds an awful lot like that kind of spider bite.[/B]

Right. I hope their next post says they've gone to the doctor and all is better now. :angel:

Valencia88 05-02-2007 10:04 PM

Hey, thanks for the responses everyone.

I made an appointment for saturday and they told me that it wasn't very serious sounding since there was no pain or itching and it has gone down tremendously the past few days so now its just a light reddish mark without any of the blue and its hardly an inch long now and clearing up all the time. I have a killer immune system which I know I totally abuse. They said maybe it was a staph infection (which usually clears itself up anyway) so if its gone by saturday i'm just going to cancel and see what happens. I know I sound like an idiot, but i was raped by a doctor 3 years ago and I will do pretty much anything to avoid going, its not that I just have a death wish or something.

Thanks again everyone.

music12 05-03-2007 03:06 AM

Spiders can also be vectors for Lyme Disease, as well as ticks. The bullseye type rash and flu symptoms are suspicious. I would not rule this out and get tested at a reputable Lyme lab, either Bowen or IgeneX. If you catch Lyme early enough antibiotics will kill the spirochetes. If you wait too long, it becomes an uphill battle to deal with this illness. I hope you don't have Lyme and most docs would dismiss the idea, but you might want to visit the Lyme board here as well for more information on this.

jujubeez725 05-04-2007 09:57 AM

[QUOTE=ballady3;2960106]Spiders can also be vectors for Lyme Disease, as well as ticks. The bullseye type rash and flu symptoms are suspicious. I would not rule this out and get tested at a reputable Lyme lab, either Bowen or IgeneX. If you catch Lyme early enough antibiotics will kill the spirochetes. If you wait too long, it becomes an uphill battle to deal with this illness. I hope you don't have Lyme and most docs would dismiss the idea, but you might want to visit the Lyme board here as well for more information on this.[/QUOTE]

I agree w/this. :wave:

Valencia, this is very scary and even though your symptoms have reduced, you still need to get checked out by a health care professional.

You're NOT Wolverine (although his instaneous mutant healing powers are to be admired LOL :D )

What have you done about the rape? Did you report it? Press charges? Have you received any counseling for this? That is an extremely serious thing to have gone through, and if you were able to report it, I hope that doctor was found guilty and is serving time for that! NO EXCUSE IN WHAT THAT DOCTOR DID TO YOU!!! :mad: :mad:

So what do you do now when you're in need of medical care? Just Dodge-A-Doc?????

Request a female doctor. Maybe you'll feel a bit more comfortable being treated by a fellow female. I'm really sorry that happened, Valencia. If you haven't gotten any couseling for that, please do so.

FromSqueaky 05-04-2007 10:26 AM

[QUOTE=jujubeez725;2963124]
What have you done about the rape? Did you report it? Press charges? Have you received any counseling for this? That is an extremely serious thing to have gone through, and if you were able to report it, I hope that doctor was found guilty and is serving time for that! NO EXCUSE IN WHAT THAT DOCTOR DID TO YOU!!! :mad: :mad:

So what do you do now when you're in need of medical care? Just Dodge-A-Doc?????

Request a female doctor. Maybe you'll feel a bit more comfortable being treated by a fellow female. I'm really sorry that happened, Valencia. If you haven't gotten any couseling for that, please do so.[/QUOTE]

HUH? I am so confused what rape? Did I miss something that happen to Valencia a long time ago?