It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2007, 08:09 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

nokoBot HB User
Dentist said toe pain could be diabetes( 27 year old hispanic)

I'm 27. i exercise and eat right.

I have had unexplained toe pain. never broke it, never injured it. and the pain only happens if i put weight on the toe. It feels so painful

Anyways i'm going to doc in 1 month but in the meantime yesterday i had a dental cleaning and i talked to dentist about it. He said it oculd not be gout cause he had gout and the toe pain that is gout is kind of in the big base joint of the toe. but mine is on the actual toe bone.

He did however, mention Have youe ver had a blood test? And he said you should be checked for diabetes.
Wow, i never thought of that.

I didn't know healthy people had diabetes.. but maybe.. so then i read that people that can have diabetes are people who are overweight... OR have a history of family diabetes OR are hispanic.

and i think i do have that. My mother started getting some diabetes recently when she got checked by doctor. and i think others in my family have it. I'm hispanic...

but not overweight

So i just get diabetes even if i have eeaten right and exericsied... It's just a curse for being hispanic?

Old 05-02-2007, 08:46 AM   #2
(female)

alien7 HB User
Re: Dentist said toe pain could be diabetes( 27 year old hispanic)

It's not just overweight people that get diabetes just look at Halle Berry she's a diabetic, and does she look overweight? If diabetes runs in your family then you have a much greater risk of getting it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2007, 07:17 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

nokoBot HB User

but that's what the dentist said. What do YOU think or KNOW that unexplained toe pain might be? Good idea to take blood test for diabetes? or for somethign?

Old 05-02-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
(female)

QtrHrsMomma HB User

Honey, go see your family doc if you have any concerns. Its possible that your dentist might know about that sorta thing, but I wouldnt see my eye doctor for back pain no more than Id see my dentist for a sore toe. He is just letting you know that it COULD be that. Just a possibility.

See your doc. Let us know how it goes. Good luck. And dont stress over it too much, ok??

Take Care.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:55 PM   #5
(male)

ILiveForMyKIDS HB User

Sounds like a wanna be doctor. Did he have your past medical history, current meds and dosages?

Try naproxene for a few days and see if that hurts, sounds like a toe nail or something, they can be a major pain. If naproxene doesn't help seek a REAL doctor.

J

Old 05-02-2007, 08:41 PM   #6
(female)

alien7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokoBot View Post
but that's what the dentist said. What do YOU think or KNOW that unexplained toe pain might be? Good idea to take blood test for diabetes? or for somethign?
He's just a dentist and that's his opinion. An ingrown toe nail can cause toe pain or it's your shoes even exercise can can cause it. There are lots of possibilities. Take a blood test just to rule it out but I doubt its that.

Last edited by alien7; 05-02-2007 at 08:41 PM.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:38 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

lovinthev8 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien7 View Post
It's not just overweight people that get diabetes just look at Halle Berry she's a diabetic, and does she look overweight? If diabetes runs in your family then you have a much greater risk of getting it.
What's considered running in the family? If mom/dad/and sister have it? Or if just my grandma has it and that's it?

Old 05-06-2007, 08:34 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

nokoBot HB User

it's not a toe nail. where did you get that from?

it's the bone of the toe above base of the nail. Well it hurts soo bad still. well only if i put weight on it. Otherwise, i feel just fine

Closed Thread