It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

lovinthev8 HB User
The term "runs in my family"

What would that be considered? My girlfriend and I are both 20 years old, and we're both relatively health conscious. We try to watch what we eat, but often times like to pig out. I weigh about 170, she's about 120. Just to give you an idea of what our build is like (which is relatively thin).

Anyway, her dad's side of the family is very large. Her mom's is about average. Her dad's side has upwards of 200-225 people including all of the aunts, uncles, cousins, second cousins, great aunts, great uncles, etc etc etc. But anyway, there's been a few times where I've spoken to her and she kids around saying that everything runs in her family, such as certain cancers and heart conditions. Reason I question this is, due to the large size of her family, I wonder if it's even more of an elevated risk for her. You see, it's not like 25% of her family has a certain condition. There's one here, one there, oh Aunt Mandy has this, Uncle Joe has this, etc. It's not like there's a list of 20 people in her large family that all have the same exact thing.

So what I'm wondering is, when she jokes around saying everything runs in her family, is it safe to say that everything "RUNS" in the family? I just always associated that phrase with it occuring more than once or twice, you folks know what I mean?

But she goes to the doctor each year, watches what she eats, and is beginning to get in the routine of exercise. I guess realistically, there's nothing to truly worry about considering that her and I are both taking decent precautious to avoid such things, whereas some of her family (particularly the few with heart issues) are rather obese.

Anyway, just post your thoughts or comments.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2007, 07:36 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

lovinthev8 HB User
Re: The term "runs in my family"

47 views and no input? Hmm... Is this a more difficult question to answer than I thought?

Old 05-05-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
(female)

tweiler HB User

to me "runs in my family" means that multiple people over multiple generations have the condition. For ex, my dad's mom had gall bladder problems, as did her daughter, and one of my cousins. Every one ended up having it removed. Same on my mom's family, her, her mom & 1 of her sis also had gall bladder attacks and ended up having it removed. So when I had a very sudden attack, the dr scheduled surgery ASAP.

Also, several generations in my dad's family have diabetes, so I watch what I eat and get a fasting glucose every year. Not only do I have to worry about diabetes on my dad's side but there are several people in my mom's family with it, so I am looking at it from both parents.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:44 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

lovinthev8 HB User

What is fasting glucose? Is that a yearly blood test that checks for traces of diabetes?

Although diabetes runs on my gf's mom's side of the family, I don't think she's that worried about it. The only ones with diabetes (which are only 2 or 3 of her extended family, and I think 2 are aunts and the third is a great grandma) are very very overweight, whereas my gf is relatively slim (120ish). She watches what she eats and besides the occasional soda, doesn't have much sugar intake.

That just got me confused, because I remember reading that typically people don't have an "increased chance" of diabetes unless you have someone in your primary family with diabetes, and hearing her say "Yeah, it runs in my family" made me confused. Well, maybe you could say there are traces of it in her family? I wasn't sure if that would be deemed "runs in my family." But anyway, you get the picture.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:03 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

I am not exactly sure what your question actually IS, but here goes anyway...You are concerned that your Gf may have inherited a propensity for a range of conditions caused by overweight, which is prevalent in her family? I agree that this may be an incentive for her (as for anyone) to enjoy a healthy lifestyle, as we all know it. This should protect her from joining the family risk group. 'Runs in the family' is a term usually used about a specific condition, as in auto-immune disorders, or high blood pressure.

Closed Thread