It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2007, 09:08 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User
Exclamation "Colon Cleansing" Anyone?!

Has anyone tried any colon-cleansing products? If so, what was your experience? If we're allowed to mention specific brands on here, then what product did you use?

I stumbled across an interesting site that really made me start thinking and questioning what's actually going on inside my own body. I mean, just because you can't see or feel something, doesn't mean it's not there right? We wash our hands even though they don't necessarily look dirty, right?! Maybe the same concept should be applied for other regions of our bodies!

It especially sparked my interested when I saw that the site specified people with food allergies. I'm a Celiac/Gluten-Intolerant. For years before being diagnosed I ate food that was basically toxic to me. Eating things I shouldn't have been eating most-likely messed up my digestion, and all that goes along with it, more than maybe I ever realized.

So.. I ordered a product that is suppose to help rid the body of anything that shouldn't be there. I just wondered if anyone out here had any experience, good or bad, with a colon-cleansing program or product..

Thanks for any thoughts, replies, stories.. thanks for even reading!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2007, 09:27 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User
Re: "Colon Cleansing" Anyone?!

The health store that I shop at has an a significant number of products to cleanse the colon. I have used Yerba Prima Psyllium Husks Powder which sell for $4.89 (12 oz). You could spend much more for the same results. Use it away from meals like at bedtime. I'm now using a powerful Probiotic which is also a Colon Cleanser.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike In NY View Post
The health store that I shop at has an a significant number of products to cleanse the colon. I have used Yerba Prima Psyllium Husks Powder which sell for $4.89 (12 oz). You could spend much more for the same results. Use it away from meals like at bedtime. I'm now using a powerful Probiotic which is also a Colon Cleanser.
Personal question for ya...
Do the products you use rid you of really disgusting things.. or just help you "go" more easily?!

I'm just trying to see which products help the symptoms or help the cause! I was on a site for a product called Colonix, and let me just tell you.. the photo gallery... *gag*... scary! This particular product is suppose to remove things that basically have been building up... which helps your body start functioning properly again, or better if you never actually realized there was a problem.

Thanks for the response!

Old 05-04-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User

I used the Psyllium Husks Powder to avoid gas, bloating and constipation. I've since moved on and use a powerful Probiotic that contains 15 Strains and 35 Billion Microorganisms per two capsules. This product is for the entire digestive system. I began taking it about 9 months ago when I developed Acid Reflux. No more gas, bloating, indigestion, nervous stomach, protruding gut and constipation and I can eat whatever foods I like without a problem. Some of the Strains are designed for the colon. Bowel movements are regular with more than one a day. I take two tablets after breakfast. I wouldn't go even one day without it. The bottom line is that I'm getting a significant amount of Good Bacteria and a powerful Colon Cleanse. Words can't describe how much better I'm feeling and for just 45 cents a day.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User

thank you for sharing.. i appreciate it!!

Old 05-09-2007, 07:45 PM   #6
(male)

oreganol HB User

Hey Jen,
Based on my experience,and testimonies from many others, the best colon cleansing product I can say should be the award-winning "CleanseSmart",by "RENEW LIFE". For beginners,there is "first clease". Renew life 's product are exclusively for digestive care,and if you are like me,suffering from any kind of digestion-related illness,you might want to look hard into renew life products.

Last edited by oreganol; 05-09-2007 at 07:47 PM. Reason: error

Old 05-09-2007, 08:22 PM   #7
(male)

bweb HB User

Yes, I have wondered about that Colonix product, too. I saw the gross website and wondered if the stuff you take actually makes your body created these disgusting rubberlike things that come out of you. Does not seem natural...but maybe it is.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:27 PM   #8
(male)

JamesG779 HB User

Hello Jen, I'm new. I had to LOL when I read your *Gag* description of the photo gallery on that dr. natura site. I mean seriously, is that stuff real?

I've been researching it as well, wondering if that type of "material" really exists in my intestines and could be causing my lack of energy, poor sleeping habits, and sometimes irregular BM's. Is there really a "string of christmas lights dipped in chocolate" that's parasitically robbing my body of the ability to digest in a healthy way?

I found this post from user lintek45, where she describes what sounds like dead-intestines, or dead cell material, not fecal material, but your intestinal linings actually dieing from the overuse of laxatives aka colon cleansers.

I too was a firm beliver while taking colon cleansers and it really worked for me too. but........... they don't warn you that it is a form of laxative even though it is a holistic form of supplements.
the main ingrediants in these cleansing pills are either Cascara or Senna.
these manufacturers who produce these pills don't have to have it FDA approved. NOT yet anyway but the FDA is trying to step in which I totally agree with 100%
I was taking a few different types, didn't matter the name of them, they all do the same. they do warn you though if you should get stomach pain when first on them to discontinue them.
now I'm going to share something with you that they don't tell you or warn you on the bottle.. I thought they were safe to take.
I am 46 yrs and just had my 2nd colonoscopy last week. my dr didn't see any polyps or inflammation but did biopsy 3 parts of the large intestine which came back from pathology with a diagnosis of " melanosis coli"
sounds worst than it actually sounds, but this is what caused it.
they said chronic use of laxatives which can be made up of anthranoid and rhubarb derivatives. Many of these laxatives have been in use for 100's of years.
these compounds pass through the gastrointestinal tract unabsorbed until they reach the large intestine which the resulting active compounds cause damage to the cells lining of the intestine and becomes apoptosis ( a form of cell death) the damaged (apoptic) cells appear as darkly pigmented bodies and does something to the cells known as macrophages. when enough cells have been damaged, the characterstic pigmentation of the bowel becomes darnkened. early studies suggested that anthranoid laxatives might have carcinogenic or tumor-promoting activities in humans that had presence of melanosis colic and an one had an increased risk of the development of colorectal cancer.
However, more studies have failed to show an associaton.

once you stop the laxatives, the pigmention can heal and go away and once again the colon can become pink like it should be.
I saw it in pictures when I did research on it. it's gross looking and I can understand the fear it may cause to the dr seeing it on the colon.
this all happened to ME because I took the same things you are going to be taking. Please take heed and warning on this. they don't put this warning on the bottles. I don't understand why the media isn't making the public aware of this condition.
I am never taking them again.

I now stick to eatting fruits of the season which naturally have the same effect of the colon cleansers. fresh peaches whole, fresh cherries, and green apples, ( granny smith kind). I'll stick to the fresh fruit anytime and it tastes good too.

be careful folks,
just thought you should all be warned.

Linda

So I wonder if all of those "hall of fame photos" are of people's dead, burned up intestines that ended up coming out and not age-old fecal material that never passed....

Old 06-04-2007, 04:14 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

I do the master cleanser and that is what comes out of me. Not in the same shape as the intestines but it is either black,green,blue and white slime I think it's cause I ony eat chicken and that's only recently. Before that I was a vegan.
I know that I feel better, have more energy, my aches and pains go away and my skin looks better. I take psyllium and spirulina daily except when on the cleanser which is every 4 months.

I've always thought a detox caused loose bowels. It seems like if you were getting rid of stuff that should not be in the body that it would make you sick and cause diarrhea. When I take the pills I don't have diarrhea but with the cleansers I do.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:56 PM   #10
(male)

JamesG779 HB User

Hey Squeaky, what exactly is the Master Cleanser? Is that one of the colonix products?
What would you recommend for a first time cleanser like myself? Something that will work on a 230lb beer drinking, meat eating guy ?

I've heard about the psyllium for fiber. Would you recommend something simple that you can get at a walmart/GNC type place? These $90 kits I've seen online kind of have me guessing...

Old 06-05-2007, 11:11 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User

so after paying the money for Colonix and taking it... I realized I was a bit impulsive and that i should have researched a bit more. not that Colonix was necessarily bad for me... I'm just sure I could have found something cheaper, and possibly better. I also screwed myself over by stopping the routine to go on vacation!!

But... I did notice that after 4 days of taking Colonix the rock/heavy feeling I had in my stomach was gone. It wasn't even horribly inconvenient.. I never found myself running off to the bathroom in a panic! And I didn't have any of those gross "christmas lights dipped in chocolate" things coming out of me!! That could be good or bad I guess depending on what they really are! Ick..
I also wasn't expecting my BM's to be so... loose?! haha I guess I just expected more "normal, healthy" ones.

I lasted about 2 weeks straight on their program before I stopped to go away for Memorial Day weekend. My stomach did feel better over all, but that was about it. It basically was like a laxative.. at least it seemed that way for me. I've never actually used laxatives, but this is what I would imagine them to be like. Colonix just basically gave me the runs! lol... I have to laugh at myself while I write this!

I think the best thing really for people to do is just eat more fruit and veggies, limit the amount of meat they eat daily (it takes 9 hours to fully digest a normal single serving of meat) and drink lots of water.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:15 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

Hi James here is a link on the Master Cleanser. [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=501204&page=6[/url]

It's a bit long there are e few more link on the message boards you can use the search engine at the top of the page. They're under lemon diet and master cleanser.

There are some detox ones at health food stores. I use the ones from GNC or the Whole Food Market. Or if you rather you can drink the smooth move tea. It does just wat it says.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:24 PM   #13
(female)

froggyfog HB User

Are you guys saying that Probiotics are like laxatives too?

I'm wondering if to start using them or not.

Froggyfog

Old 06-07-2007, 09:58 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

aussie_jono HB User

Take 3 tablespoons milk of magnesia with 2 glasses of water if you feel your insides need clensing, but dont leave the house for a few hours!

More gentaly, some metamucil twice a day is cheap and cant harm you.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:09 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

goldstar HB User

I have been using Colonix for 8 years and it definately worked wonders for me. I use it every year. Did you call the help line about your BM being so loose? My BM's at the beginning were loose but when I called the help line they recommended that I adjust the fiber intake and reduce the length of time to steep the tea. It worked for me. I can't say enough great things about Dr.Natura's Colonix.

Closed Thread