It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2007, 10:31 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User
Possible ear infection? I need some way to relieve pain, please!!!

Hi! I am having some horrible pain in my ears. Problem is, I don't have money to go to a doctor today, and I am moving back home tomorrow. I don't have a doctor there, and no money. So, is there any home remedies that I could possibly try?? I am having some kinda ordeal right now, with just having my gallbladder out, now am having kidney stones and ear problems. It is not fun, and I am just wondering if there is any way to relieve the pain until I can get in to see a doctor back home. i am a college student, and we have to be out of the dorms tomorrow in case anyone was wondering why I was moving, not tha you would. I am going crazy trying to pack with all of this pain. I am on Percocet for the kidney stones, but nothing is helping with the ears yet. Eeek. Any kind of wind blows into it, or having the ac on and it is done for. And don't even think about touching anywhere on that side of my face. IT HURTS SO BAD!! any ideas, please???

Old 05-04-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
(female)

jujubeez725 HB User
Wink Re: Possible ear infection? I need some way to relieve pain, please!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananarama View Post
Hi! I am having some horrible pain in my ears. Problem is, I don't have money to go to a doctor today, and I am moving back home tomorrow. I don't have a doctor there, and no money. So, is there any home remedies that I could possibly try?? I am having some kinda ordeal right now, with just having my gallbladder out, now am having kidney stones and ear problems. It is not fun, and I am just wondering if there is any way to relieve the pain until I can get in to see a doctor back home. i am a college student, and we have to be out of the dorms tomorrow in case anyone was wondering why I was moving, not tha you would. I am going crazy trying to pack with all of this pain. I am on Percocet for the kidney stones, but nothing is helping with the ears yet. Eeek. Any kind of wind blows into it, or having the ac on and it is done for. And don't even think about touching anywhere on that side of my face. IT HURTS SO BAD!! any ideas, please???
You got a serious dilemma going on, don't you?

Ok, so you're moving out of a dorm and you're in pain.
I'd put a small piece of cotton in my ears, just to "ease" the sensitivity of the wind or AC going.
Next, check and see if you can get to a Health Department where you are; or maybe a free clinic.

Your ears are a very serious thing... they may be infected. Does your throat or sinus also bother you?
One of my kids had an ear AND throat infection at the same time; that rascal didn't complain but ONCE and it had to be really bad.
You're going to need an antibiotic if the doctor determines it's an ear infection.

Also, your ears may also need to be irrigated; but first things first--get those ears checked out.

The doctor may recommend you having your ears flushed out... let me tell you, you'll feel like a new person once that's done.

Go right now so that it isn't something more serious or become something more serious.

Last edited by jujubeez725; 05-04-2007 at 10:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2007, 11:11 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

music12 HB User
Re: Possible ear infection? I need some way to relieve pain, please!!!

Ibuprofen will reduce the inflammation; thus, the pain. You can also try warming a little olive oil and putting that in your ear on a Q-tip, same with warm salt water.

All the best.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Thanks guys!! I appreciate it! It hurts pretty bad. We don't have a free clinic around here, except on Wednesdays, so there is no way I can wait until then. The immediate care place makes you pay up front, and I don't have money. I think I will have to wait until Monday, but I am definitely going to try the olive oil!! I am on meds that won't allow me to take ibuprofen, so I can't really do that. And the cottan ball is a great idea. Thank you so much! I know I really need to have it checked out. Will do that as soon as possible. At least when I go home, I will be able to drive myself, because here at school, my car has been broken down for a couple of months, so I can no longer get myself around without someone else driving me.
Also, I have been congested for months, but thought nothing of it, since I had had a sinus infection and upper respiratory infection when it started. Didn't actually think anything of it until now. I took two courses of antibiotics, and then was on antibiotics in the hospital (it all happened as I was getting ready to have surgery).

Last edited by bananarama; 05-04-2007 at 01:21 PM. Reason: left out info

Old 05-04-2007, 01:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User

when i was little i had all types of ear problems/constant infections. I remember my mom flushing them out with hot water and this blue squeegy thing! wish I could explain better.. it was from the pharmacy, and was basically a mini-turkey baster! It also came with a little blue pan for the water and ear junk to spill into.

I've also heard of people dripping a little bit of peroxide in your ear to break up wax (if wax is what's causing the pain). Then using a Q-tip.

May want to ask for another opionoin on that peroxide thing though..

I'd suggest letting hot water run directly in your ear (next time your in the shower) then use a q-tip. Built up wax may be causing the pain. If the q-tip is relatively clean though, then wax isn't the problem and a doctor is needed.

Good luck with everything!

Old 05-04-2007, 02:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Thank you so much! Yeah, my mom used to use peroxide when I was younger. I used to have constant ear infections as a kid, and swimmers ear really bad, but since I have gotten a little older, it has gotten better. I am going to try that right now! I am going to a banquet at my school tonight, in like an hour, and would rather be feeling pretty good at that point. I have heard of using the blue thingy for babies, but never adults, but I should get one. I don't have any money at this point or I would get one right now. yeah, I don't know what is causing this thing. My best freind has an ear infection right now. Are they contagious? She just told me. thanks for the advice!!! I really appreciate it. About the hot water in my ear htough, I have this constant feeling that water is in my ear, especially after being in hte shower, so is that such a good idea with that? It gets really bad after water has been in it.

Closed Thread