It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
(male)

Trentyboi HB User
Permanent ear damage due to concert?

Hey all, I went to a concert last night and it's now 1pm the next day and my ears are still ringing, I'm really worried that it might be permanent damage or something and seeing as I'm still in my teens that's not exactly good.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2007, 09:38 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Tivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB User
Re: Permanent ear damage due to concert?

One of the several times I went to see Metallica, we had tickets in the front row right by the speakers. I was an idiot and didn't wear earplugs. I had the same thing happen, it took about 3 days to get my hearing back.

If you only let it happen once or twice, you probably should be ok. Your hearing is probably only temporarily damaged. You'll see that in a couple of days it should be better. If it's still not better by Monday, you may want to consider going to see an audiologist for a hearing test.

One thing I can tell you, having been a very frequent concert goer myself, and I still am, I will NEVER go without earplugs again. I learned my lesson after that Metallica show and I never want to have that happen again! It's pretty scary when, 2 days after the show, you're still having trouble hearing, isn't it? I didn't want to feel that anymore so I will ALWAYS wear earplugs at EVERY show I go to. You'll see, if you do that, you can still hear the show just fine, and when you leave then you'll still be able to hear because you will have worn earplugs. Unlike all of the other poor shmucks who didn't think to preserve their hearing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2007, 09:49 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

nokoBot HB User

Don't let people tell you IT"LL PASS IN a few days. Many people get permanent tinnitus and it takes only one hit. One of them is me.. I never went to concerts, then one day played music keyboard loud. and PUFF . i'm damaged and been damaged for 3 years now. never goes away. it's called hyperacusis, . if you want to see how people suffer with this hyperacusis.net is a site to see.

I also got recent increase in tinnitus after i got clogged with ear wax and now i have this increase hissing that doesn't go away for a week already.

However, dont get discouraged. and learn from this experience. Tinnitus and Hyperacusis sufferers must not give up, we find ways to cope. but we turn must also become smarter having learned from the experience that caused the damage. i don't ever play loud music anymore. but i keep listetning to music at low volume for pleasure and also therapy

Old 05-07-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

Hopefully it is not permanent. You can try b-50 complex-follow the bottle and some gingko biloba. Stay away from loud noise and music for a while. If it is still there in a few days go to the ENT and let him/her look at your ears. They have this thing they put in your ear to see if you damaged the hairs in the ears. Good luck.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:28 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Tivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB User

How is it today? Do you feel like your hearing is back to normal? Post up and let us know how you're doing!

I just had a complete hearing exam a couple of months ago, including the test for damaged cilia, and everything came back normal. The audiologist works out of my ENT's office. You may want to check it out. If nothing else, at least you'll know where you stand with your current hearing. I'm frankly shocked at how well I scored on the hearing test because of my former loud concerts without earplugs. But as I posted before, I faithfully wear them and still enjoy the show, and still have my hearing when the show is over. It's really the only way to go!

Old 05-07-2007, 11:48 AM   #6
(female)

alien7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentyboi View Post
Hey all, I went to a concert last night and it's now 1pm the next day and my ears are still ringing, I'm really worried that it might be permanent damage or something and seeing as I'm still in my teens that's not exactly good.
That's how I got Tinnitus. I went to a concert and then after that I had a loud ringing sound in my ears and I still have it till this day but it's not as loud or noticable because other sounds drown it out. It may be permanent for you too but the ringing may go down a bit in a few days or altogether.

Last edited by alien7; 05-07-2007 at 11:50 AM.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

Prolonged exposure to loud noises shakes up the bones in the middle of your ear and overstimulates the tiny hairs in your ear. On Oprah a doctor said he compares the overstimulated hairs to the bristles on a worn-out toothbrush. When the hairs are damaged hearing loss and tinnitus occurs.

Any time you hear a little ringing in your ears your music is to loud. Supposively you shouldn't ever turn the volume up to more than 70 percent of the maximum.

I hope your ears get better.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:10 AM   #8
(male)

Trentyboi HB User

Thank you everyone, my hearing is fine now and I'll learn from this and some of your lessons for future events.

Thank you once again

Closed Thread