It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2007, 03:31 PM   #1
(male)

HopeAlight HB User
Question Glucosamine with Chondroitin, know anything/your experience?

22yo Male, 140pds 6ft

I have been having joint pain for some time now, my PCP directed me to a physical therapist who gave me a series of exercises but this provided no relief. I've casually mentioned my problem and with a few people and three times have been asked to try Glucosamine with Chondroitin.

I have a few concerns before I begin trying it myself should anyone here have some experience with taking this. Anything I should know about it? Where should I get it and what should I expect to pay? Any long term issues? How much and how often should I use it?

If you could direct me to some resources or simply offer your own experience.

Your efforts are appreciated.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:52 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

janx HB User
Re: Glucosamine with Chondroitin, know anything/your experience?

Hi there,
I began taking this last year while recovering from back fusion surgery. I had been taking rx arthrotec for appx. 7 years. After a back fusion, you can not take NSAID'S because it interfers with the bone fusion process. I started taking the glu/ch as an alternative. My surgeon gave me the green light to start back with the arthrotec after 9 months, but I chose not to. The only thing I am taking now is this. I buy the economy size bottle at Walmart. I take 1 capsule 3 times a day. I tried a more expensive brand, but this has the same active ingredients and works just as well. My diagnosis's are DDD, scolosis, arthritis of the spine, spinal stenosis, etc. I am very pleased with the results and as long as I am this mobile and feel this good I will continue taking this and no rx meds. It take a few days to get in your system, it is not a quick fix or a pain pill. You really can not even tell you are taking it, then all of a sudden you just realize, hey...I'm not hurting today. Good luck. Bren

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2007, 03:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: Glucosamine with Chondroitin, know anything/your experience?

Hello Hope

Ironic that you ask this because last Friday I just had a big conversation about this very thing with my family doctor. I started taking it some time back... first sporadically, and now on a regular basis. I take one Triple flex tab mid-morning and one mid evening. I do this because I am on Plavix and use this in lieu of Aspirin.

Now, I did some research and found that the Chrondroitin is a natural blood thinner. Plavix is also, but with another component that concerns platelets somehow. Our whole conversation at the doctor's office concerned, "why can't I take the Triple Flex and let the chrondoitin component in it take the place of the Plavix. In the end, I will have a very complete series of blood panels and then talk to the cardiologist about it. I think the platelet thing is actually resolved with Vitamin K, which I always had to a few days before dental surgery since I was a kid. Now I am getting the Vitamin K in things like kale.

Sorry, went off on a tangent here. Smiles. In my opinion, Glucosomine/Chrondoritin has proven very helpful to me with joint pain. The Triple Flex also contains MSM, and I have NO idea about what that is or does at the moment... looks like some more research is called for. Chuckles.

I get the Triple Flex at chain drugstores and wait for the Buy One get One sales. Then I get two bottles for 39.99. However, you can go online and register the bar code numbers and every month or so get a $7 off coupon for any product made by that producer. I have done this quite a few times, but lately have been lazy about it.

good luck
reachout

Closed Thread