It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2007, 08:55 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User
Red face kidney stones

Hi! Ok, so I just had my gallbladder out 4 weeks ago, think I have an ear infection, and now I have kidney stones. Last weekend I was in the ER twice, and the second time, they figured it out. Well, I am on Percocet and Toradol for pain, and Phenergan for nausea. I am in excrutuiating pain that the pain meds aren't helping, and the nausea is just getting worse. Smelling foods makes me queezy, and I have been vomitting. Is there anything else I can be doing for teh pain? It is getting to where I can't handle it. My pain tolerance has been going up the past few months, because I have been having issues with my gallbladder since September, but this is so much worse. My whole side just freeazes, and nothing I do helps. Standing, sitting, laying down, walking, it all hurts. What can I do?? I take two Percocet every 6 hours, and one Toradol every 8, and the Phenergan itake every 6 hours as well. It has been a little bit over a week now since I first had the kidney stones attack. I need help. It is driving me crazy. And I can't control the vomitting. I was asleep, and woke up covered. Sorry to be graphic, but it is getitng bad. I went to a urologist today, and he ordered labs today, an IVP Wednesday, more labs on Friday, and then I go back to him on Monday, but that is a month away. I don't think I can wait that long. It hurts so bad!!!

Old 05-08-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
Re: kidney stones

Let the doctor know that the pain is too much to tolerate for a month. My sis had to have hers broken down with some sort of ultra sonic machine. She couldn't pass it otherwise. You may need help getting it to pass. It's really the only way to relieve the pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2007, 08:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

I went in today for the IVP, and they changed to a CT scan w/out contrast, so no IV, which was happy for me, but they noticed the pain and told me to call my doc. Well, since I live a bit away from the doc, and the doc was right across from the hospital where I had the test, I went over there. They told me I needed to go home and wait for a phone call, and they might be able to get me a stronger narcotic, but I will have to go back and pick it up later on. Eeek. It hurts so bad, I don't want to wait anymore., I want them to just get everything taken care of now. I am in SO much pain. BTW...correction, I don't have to wait a month, just a week. Don't know what I wqas thinking when I wrote that, but yeah, next Monday is when I get the results and stuff. Hopefully if I call them a lot and tell them how much I hurt they will look at hte results and get me on in htere and get it taken care of. It hurts way to much to live with for to much longer.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Question: Is there any natural way to relieve pain? The Percocet and all is not helping, and the doctor apparently didn't get into the office today, so he couldn't prescribe me anything stronger. I am hurting really bad, and really don't want to go back to ER if I can help it, because my family has a limited amount of vehicles, and can't inconvenience them. Everyone is doing something different. I am feeling better right now then earlier, but still in a lot of pain, and my head feels like it is constantly swimming. I hate this. don't know what I am going to do. I feel completely helpless, because I can;t drive myself anywhere, and most of the time I am in bed curled up because I am in so much pain. I just want to know if there is anyhting else I could be doing, like natural remedies for pain. I have tried a hot rice bag, and it helps for a little bit, but makes me nauseaus for some reason. Please help me!!

Old 05-09-2007, 02:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

I am so sorry you are in so much pain! Have you been drinking lots of fluids? I believe that IF they can pass, you should load up on fluids. I wish I had answers for you. Don't think of yourself as an inconvenience! You are in a medical crisis, and it is okay for people to know that you need help. Ask for help, go to the ER if the pain is too much to bear. I hope and pray that you feel better soon!

Old 05-09-2007, 06:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Thank you so much! Yeah, tonight if it gets unbearable again, I will ask. I jusr always feel guilty. No one in my family understands that I am hurting horribly. I haven't been drinking much, but I just went to the store and loaded up on powerade to help get me through the night. I have realized that I was extremely dehydrated. Hopefully, I will get a call really early in teh morning sayiing that they have a new prescription, or else that tehy can take care of the problem before Monday. Monday just seems like forever away. Especially since my sister is graduating this week, and I have all of her stuff to do. Eeek...like, this was supposed to be a fun week, and now it has turned into a lot of pain. Sorry to complain. I need to just calm down, and lay down, and try and find some kind of comfy position. I have tried all day, but since there isn't one, I just keep gettin gon the computer, because at least hten I am not as bored.
Thanks for the prayers!

Old 05-11-2007, 03:49 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Hello! The doctor did call today and gave me a stronger dosage of Perocet to take. Heh..so, ummm...I took the script to one pharmacy, and the doctor hadn't even wrote half of the dosage, just the first part. They wouldn't accept it, so I went to another pharmacy, and they had me wait until they could get ahold of my doctor. Well, they couldn't so they finally let me go, saying I had to call back later, and if they didn't get a call back from the doctors office, they couldn't do anything, because it was a narcotic. I was so frustrated. It took until like this afternoon, after the office was already closed to finally have someone in the answering service get ahold of the doctor, and have him call in the prescription, which I was very lucky that they let me do it like that. Oh my goodness, I have no faith in this doctor, but he is the only one around this area, and there is no way I can go to a different one. Hopefully I can get through this weekend, and on Monday he will give me some good options, and he will know what he is doing. I just want to get out of this pain. Luckily the higher dosage of medicine is working for now, but tonight who knows. For me, that seems to be when the worst of the pain comes. I was reading the CT scan report from last weekend, and it showed that I have kidney stones in both kidneys, high and low. Most of them are small, but a couple were of pretty big size. The only side that hurts is the right side, and that is all the doctors are talking about. I hope that they take care of all of them, because a few months from now, I don't want to be going through this whole mess again. I have learned that I will most likely be having a recurrence of them unless I change my diet, and start drinking a lot more fluids on a regular basis. I am having to do my own research on all of the findings, because I really can't trust this doctor, and my GP is a couple hours away, because he is near my school. I can't wait to be back at school, where I can find a doctor who cares, and there is a wide variety of them in each specialty, unlike where I live, which is in the middle of nowhere. I really don't like being so limited in options.
Any advice for how to ask my doctor to take care of all the stones, and what kind of diet I should try, or any other advice you can give would be wonderful. I don't know much about stones, other than I have quite a few, have passed a few, and they hurt like the devil. Thank you so much!!

Old 05-11-2007, 04:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

This will not be of much help to you now, but, our daughter had kidney stones and after she started drinking distilled water she has had no more problems. She lives in a narea where there is lots of limestone. Ask your doctor about drinking distilled water. I know minerals would be lacking.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Thanks! I am trying to start ASAP on a diet that will be beneficial. The distilled water shouldn't be to hard to add. I will ask my urologist, but when I go back to school I will ask my GP about everything. I just want to get some sort of start in the right direction right now. My health has got to change for the better at this point, and not getting any more kidney stones is definitely a major goal!! I appreciate the advice about distilled water. I also live in an area with a lot of limestone, and we drink well water. It has a lot of iron and everything. Totally gross, and a lot of minerals that could eventually build up and make stones. At school, they told us we couldn't drink the water from the tap, due to some sort of something in the water that made it dangerous. Eeek. Most bottled water has extra minerals added. I wonder if those are bad, or if I can still drink thoe without worrying. You have brought up a good point I most likely would not have thought about.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:49 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

I just got back from the urologist. I am having surgery to remove the stones on Thursday. Yay!! I can't wait to have them out. He isn't using lithotripsy. I think he is using hte basket method, and putting a stent in because I have swelling in my kidney. But hopefully I will be able to go to Ohio next week!!

Closed Thread