It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2007, 07:43 AM   #1
(female)

tlbrown10 HB User
Upper arm pain in left arm

Five weeks ago I noticed on the outer side of my upper left arm, half way between my shoulder and my elbow, a small area that felt sensitive to the touch. If felt somewhat like a bruise, but it didn't hurt if you applied pressure on it. I noticed that for about a week. Then I started waking up at night when I slept on that side. (I like to stretch my arm under my head and pillow) I wasn't too concerned at that point, I thought maybe I had ran into something and just didn't remember it. Then I was setting in the car and was going to place my pocketbook in the floorboard behind the drivers seat, and as my arm motion went up and back with my pocketbook in my hand, I felt alot of pain in my upper arm and could not complete the motion. That was when I started to move my arm in different ways to see how and when it hurt. It hurts and feels stiff to reach across my body to my right shoulder, sometimes it hurts to raise my arm straight up, just as I get to where my arm is completely straight is when I notice it, and it also hurts to take my arm out to the side and then reach behind me. I do not notice any weakness in my arm and I can still lift things, it just hurts with certain motions. I can rub and massage my arm and there is no pain. I went to the doctor after the first 2 weeks. He did some arm movement tests and said it was rotator cuff syndrome. Take prescription anti-inflammatories for 30 days and if not better then physical therapy. Took the meds for 1 week and had to take my son to a different doc in same office. Told him what was going on with me and that after a week on the meds that I haven't noticed any difference. He said to make an appointment and come back in a few days, keep taking meds, but should have noticed some improvement by now. Went back and this doctor did arm movement test and said not my rotator cuff, but I have sprained the exterior muscles in my arm. Did an x-ray and everything there ok. Said to rest my arm and stop moving it a dozen times a day to see if it hurts when I do that, and continue the meds for 2 weeks. If not better, then physical therapy. I told him I was concerned that there was some kind of neuro-muscular problem since I do not remember in any way injuring my arm. He didn't THINK so. It has now been 5 weeks since this all started and no improvement. Any suggestions as to what this may be or what I should consider next. I feel like physical therapy will be a waste of time. I want to have an MRI done, but doc said not yet.

I will be the first to admit that I suffer from anxiety issues and am worried to death as to what this may be. I feel like sometimes the docs don't always listen. Maybe that is just part of my paranoia I just need a place to post my thoughts and fears and hear some possible suggestions.

I am going to call the doctor back today, has been almost a week of arm rest with no improvement. Guess that means physical therapy. Sorry this was so long.

Last edited by tlbrown10; 05-08-2007 at 12:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread