It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 11:33 PM   #1
(female)

smile025 HB User
Question weight gain

Hey, I am a 20 year old female. I have type 1 diabetes and hypothyroid. My HgB A1C has been 7% which is at a good level and my TSH was 1.0 which was also a good level. My questions is, I have been getting headaches, gaining weight about 40lbs in 2 years. I don't eat more then I used to 2 years ago and I exercise at least 30 minutes a day. I know my weight gain is not in muscle and is fat. I am also constantly tired or fogged out. My doctor just tells me to eat right and exercise and that "all my levels/blood work is fine" and according to the results they are all within normal and my blood pressure is good, its all good. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should do. I am not on birth control ( I know I am not pregnant) or anyother meds other than insulin for diabetes (but Ive been on that since I was 12 and maintained a steady weight until 2 years ago)and synthroid for my hypothyroid. Any suggestions would be great as my doctor doesnt seem to be helping me and being tired and gaining weight isnt that great for my self esteem especially when I have tried a lot to get back to normal.

Last edited by smile025; 05-09-2007 at 11:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2007, 12:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: weight gain

If you doctor is monitoring your thyroid by watching only your TSH, you may be undertreated. You certainly have the symptoms of being undertreated.
He would do better to watch your free T4/free T3 levels; if they aren't at least mid-range, you likely aren't getting enough thyroid hormone to meet your needs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2007, 08:32 AM   #3
(female)

xanthia HB User

Thyroid patients have a horrible time with weight issues. Your metabolism is affected by your thyroid, so what you could eat before might not be the case now. Ask your doctor to check your T4/free T3 levels as Midwest said.

Unfortunately getting the optimal dose of medication will not melt away the pounds. I have to keep a strict food and exercise diary to stay in check. This will also help you monitor your blood sugar too.

Can you see another Endocrinologist? Mine actually specializes in Diabetes and Metabolism. He gives me lots of input on how to stay fit and keep up with my body while being hypo.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:29 AM   #4
(female)

smile025 HB User
Red face Re: weight gain

thanks next time i see my doctor i will ask for a t3 and t4 test done and see what that says, i've kept telling him that i think my thyroid is low, but he always says it is "normal" how annoying.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I agree that weight has many, many contributing factors besides thyroid function. But your mention of fogginess and tiredness makes me think that you must be undertreated. Doctors are notorious for telling us thyroid patients that we are "normal" when we know darn well we are not.

Be sure the T tests are the "free" type, not "total". (That doesn't mean they don't cost anything They measure the portion of hormones that are "free" of binding protein and therefore of direct use by the cells.)

Old 05-19-2007, 05:25 PM   #6
(female)

smile025 HB User

I asked my doctor to check my T3 tests and he just did. I seem to be gaining weight weekly without eating any differently where is all this weight coming from, its getting frustrating and to the point where people are noticing me getting bigger if the T3 comes out normal is there anything else that would cause this how can I get back to normal????

Last edited by smile025; 05-19-2007 at 08:38 PM.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:19 PM   #7
(female)

smile025 HB User

I got my lab results back. My T3 free is 4.3 (normal is 3.5-6.5) and my TSH is 2.4 (normal 0.38-5.5) Do those seem like normal numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
I agree that weight has many, many contributing factors besides thyroid function. But your mention of fogginess and tiredness makes me think that you must be undertreated. Doctors are notorious for telling us thyroid patients that we are "normal" when we know darn well we are not.

Be sure the T tests are the "free" type, not "total". (That doesn't mean they don't cost anything They measure the portion of hormones that are "free" of binding protein and therefore of direct use by the cells.)

Old 05-29-2007, 10:37 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Those levels are "normal" so far as it goes, that is... They are within the so-called "normal" range, but they are probably not "normal" for you. The TSH is high for someone in treatment; about 1 or even less would probably be optimal, because that's what 85-90% of the population without any thyroid problems has. Yours at 2.4 is nearly hypo by definition, which is anything above 3.

Your FT3 is below the middle of its range, which says it probably isn't high enough to meet your needs. I'm not sure why your FT4 wasn't tested as well; if it too is below the median range, that means you're definitely undertreated. A smart, sympathetic MD would increase your dose based on those levels. That's really what should happen next; I hope you have a caring doctor who will grant your request for a modest med increase, because I do think it's warranted.

I'd be pleased if you let me know what happens.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
(female)

smile025 HB User

I am seeing an endocrinologist in July for my diabetes I think I am going to bring in my lab sheet and see what he says. My doctor doesnt really understand anything about the new levels for tsh. He thinks it can still be up to 5.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:34 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good luck!
Join us on the Thyroid Healthboard for great support, information, and help with labs!

Closed Thread