It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007, 07:22 AM   #1
(male)

realdealbneal HB User
Swollen glands and rash

I wasn't sure where to put this because I have absolutely no idea what it is, but just the other morning, I woke up with a rash on the back of my neck. From looking at it, it's to the left just a bit. A couple days later, I noticed that I have two swollen glands. I looked at a picture that describes the locations on your neck, and I've come up with one being located in the deep cervical chain, and the other the occipital gland. They hurt most of the time, and it's giving me a neck ache. Other than that, though, there's nothing wrong with me. I don't feel any other symptoms, don't feel bad at all. I really don't want to go to the doctor, because I owe so much to hospitals and docs already (I'm a diabetic, been through a lot a year ago, and for two years prior to that). I'm 110% sure this isn't related to my diabetes in any way...checked my ketoacidosis levels, and they came out negative, and my blood sugars are fine.

I'm 23 years old...very athletic, and have some basketball games to play soon. I don't want to go out and do much right now, though...just trying to play it day by day, just in case this is something bigger than I imagine.

I'm hoping to hear that this could be just an annoying rash that will go away on its own, and that the glands are swollen because of it. I started using Caladryl to relieve the itching...and a hot shower really does the trick too...so I'm not quite sure what's going on.

Any reply is appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Swollen glands and rash

Hi realdealbneal. What does the rash look like?

It is always a good idea to get photos of rashes. Place something near it, like a coin or ruler, before photographing to give size definition. This is important documentation.

Swollen glands can be a sign of infection. Do you think you may have been bitten by a tick?

Old 05-10-2007, 10:59 AM   #3
(male)

realdealbneal HB User

I'll say that those are bumps...most are soft bumps, but there are a couple that feel like they are scabs (not sure if they are or not, but I haven't been scratching unless it was in the middle of the night).

Bitten by a tick? Well...I don't know. My girlfriend lives near tons of trees...I go out there at least once every couple of days, more than that in the last week though. Would the tick bite be exactly where the rash is, or could it be anywhere on my body? I know nothing about this stuff.

Thanks for the quick response, by the way.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-10-2007 at 01:42 PM. Reason: do not post pictures for any reason, as per the posting policy

Old 05-10-2007, 03:17 PM   #4
(male)

realdealbneal HB User

If I were standing directly in front of you at a grocery store line, the rash runs to the left of the back of my neck, from the hairline all the way to where my neck is connected to my shoulders/back. In some places, it's about an inch wide, and in the middle, maybe half an inch...so it gets wide, then smaller in the middle, a bit wider going down and then it's done, almost like a number eight.

It's definitely red...and most all of the surface is filled with bumps.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-10-2007 at 04:05 PM.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi realdealbneal. Definitely get photos of this rash. Regarding rashes from tick-borne infections, you can have the rash anywhere not only where you were bitten.

You need to have a doctor look at this.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:43 AM   #6
(male)

realdealbneal HB User

I went to the doctor (because my girlfriend and my own mother wouldn't stop calling me about it) and he told me it was shingles...adult chicken pox, or whatever. But...he said that it would only be there for a week. I walked out of the doc's office paying $50 for the visit, and the only directions I got were to leave it alone completely...no antibiotics, no specific directions other than to stop putting Caladryl on it (or anything else, for that matter).

Closed Thread