It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007, 07:46 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

US40126 HB User
Low voice, nobody can hear me, making me anti-social

Hi everyone.. I don't know what board to post this on, so I thought I would put it here. I have a very low voice and it's driving me crazy. Alot of time I don't talk to people because usually they can't hear me. I went out with a guy last week and we went to a noisy bar, he was talking to me and I found myself just nodding and smiling because I knew he wouldn't be able to hear me.

Anyway, my question is how can I make my voice louder? I have become sorta anti-social because of this, and I want to change. Could a speech therapist help me? A vocal coach for singing? Or is it just who I am and I'm stuck with it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:14 AM   #2
(male)

Prakas87 HB User
Re: Low voice, nobody can hear me, making me anti-social

Excellent question, I am in the same boat as you, so you're not alone. Unforunately I have no advice as I always thought it was part of who I am and I couldn't change it.

Hopefully there will be some positive insight here

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2007, 08:24 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

US40126 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prakas87 View Post
Excellent question, I am in the same boat as you, so you're not alone. Unforunately I have no advice as I always thought it was part of who I am and I couldn't change it.

Hopefully there will be some positive insight here
Hi Prakas, I'm so glad to see that I'm not alone. I'm pretty sure there is a way to change how your voice is, but I'm not sure what direction to go in, so hopefully someone will be able to help us.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:29 AM   #4
(female)

Fibrana HB User

Do you smoke? I also have a very low voice and am embarrassed by it. I've quit smoking for 36 days now and I can already hear an improvement in my voice! I'm consciously trying to remember to talk a little higher. My tonsils are no longer as sore and inflamed as when I smoked. I'm a woman and it is so embarrassing on the phone when people think they are talking to a man! LOL

Old 05-10-2007, 08:43 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

US40126 HB User

Not a smoker and never have been... My lungs should be the pinkest lungs around. I guess I'm wondering where to go to try to fix this.. whether a speech therapist, or a vocal coach or what....

Old 05-10-2007, 09:38 AM   #6
(male)

Prakas87 HB User

no, not a smoker, never have been.

good to hear your improving fibrana

Old 05-10-2007, 10:38 AM   #7
(female)

Fibrana HB User

Maybe this is just the way our voices are supposed to be, I don't know. I blame it on smoking, however I have friends who have smoked longer than me and they still have high voices. ??? Who knows! LOL

At least we don't have those terrible "high-pitched" squeaky voices! LMAO

Old 05-11-2007, 02:03 AM   #8
(female)

Jakeysmom HB User

Yes, a Speech Pathologist may be able to help you! If you live in a city with a university that has a Speech/Language Pathology program (or it may be called Communicative Disorders) they will have a clinic where you can be evaluated and treated, (if they agree there is a problem) for a lower cost than a private therapist. Or if you live in a bigger city there may be a Speech Pathologist that specializes in this kind of work-- they work with actors on accents and lowering and raising pitch etc. Good luck in whatever you decide!

Closed Thread