It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
(female)

Storm Moon HB User
Can anyone help me with this?

Basically, I noticed that my neck on my left side felt swollen up for a few months but I figured it was just from gaining weight. But a few weeks ago, I noticed something else, a knot underneath my jawline about an inch down on the left side. It hurts considerably when I swallow and feels about the size of a quarter to half dollar. I've had constant fatigue over the course of a few months, even after getting a good night's sleep. I eat pretty well, but not as much as I should. I'm in school and work part time, so I'm a little stressed, so I just wonder if someone can tell me what this might be. Thank you

Old 05-11-2007, 04:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Can anyone help me with this?

this really sounds like swollen glands(lymph nodes?) it usually indicates some sort of an infection going on within your body somewhere.if this is only in the upper area nodes and around the throat,chances are you could have something like a strep infection going on or some other throat issue.i have had strep many times and it does not always come with actual throat pain.i just saw my doc becasue my glands were swollen and it was getting harder to actually swollow.they just do as a precaution,a quick and the longer 24 hour strep test just to see if this is the culprit.if you have not actually even seen your doc about this,you really do need to.this does need further evaluation for the casue of the swelling.it could very well be a case of strep.if it is,the longer this goes untreated within you the more likely you are to develop some complications from it.it just needs a good round of anti Bs in order to kick it out of your system.

but,no matter the cause,anytime your glands are actually swollen,it bears a trip to your doc for an eval of them.i would even try to get in today if possible,if you cannot actually get in to see your regular or another doc at your clinic,ask if you can at least come in for that throat culture done for strep.it would get the ball rolling anyways.good luck and please keep me posted,FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2007, 10:10 PM   #3
(female)

Storm Moon HB User

Well see, it's weird cause I just had a round of antibiotics a few weeks ago from a sinus infection and I noticed it before then, so maybe it's not completely cleared up or something else is going on. It's kind of scary. I thought it could be from an abscessed tooth but I don't have any pain in my jaw or anywhere, and take fairly good care of my teeth. I still have my wisdom teeth though. They're still trying to come in.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi Storm

Funny you should mention the tooth thing. A very good friend of mine had a similar lump for a few years; it was on the side of her neck below the jaw line. Doctors couldn't figure out what it was, but it seemed harmless. Then she had a back molar extracted (not sure if a wisdom tooth or not). About two hours after the extraction, she sent her little girl flying to my house for help because she was spitting out all kinds of blood. Turns out that lump in her throat was the extension of an infection under her tooth all those years and when it was finally pulled, the infection jkust erupted and cleared out. Lump gone, all is well.

The other thing that crosses my mind is that you should, indeed, see a doctor. (Always should with any problem that concernss us and causes worry). When my niece was a freshman in college, she kept complaining about sore gland and fatigue. Turns out she had mono. She is fine now also. Smiles.

Suggest you go see your family doctor first. he can run any 'rule out' tests and refer you to a dentist iif needed.

Good wishes
reachout

Old 05-17-2007, 10:08 AM   #5
(female)

Storm Moon HB User

Well, I tried to get in at the Doctor but since I'm not a regular patient there, they said that I can't get in on a same-day appointment, and it would take up to 6 weeks to get a regular appointment. I'm not sure if I want to wait that long. But what can I do? Go to the hospital over a swollen gland in my neck? They'd think I'm crazy or a hypo

Last edited by Storm Moon; 05-17-2007 at 10:09 AM.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

Explain you can't get in to see your dr for 6 weeks and that the lump bothers you. I'm sure they'll understand. Don't worry about what the folks at the ER might think. That's the least of your worries. This is your health and well being we're talking about here.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

you need a thyroid ultrasound.....sounds like your thyroid to me

Closed Thread