It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
(male)

MarcusNoemiSmit HB User
Dizzy, nausea, off-balance.

Two days ago in the morning after awaking and eating breakfast I suddenly experienced an extreme dizzy feeling, then everything I saw started spinning, so I lied down on bed and elevated my legs thinking I was going to faint. The experience didnt stop and I thought I was going to die. After a while I noticed that if I stayed still it would feel a bit better. Then I felt very nauseous which led to vomiting. Later felt the urge to empty my bowels. I started to feel better after many hours, by nighttime I felt much better. The next morning I felt similar except for the spinning and vomiting, but I felt dizzy and nauseous. The movement of my head would make it worse. I decided I should see a doctor and I suspected that this could be a result of a head injury I had at work 5 weeks prior, so I couldnt by law see my own doctor but had to see the work appointed doctor. That doctor I saw said he doesnt believe that the injury could have caused what Im experiencing because of too much time in between the injury ( 5 weeks ) I was able to work and fuction normally after the injury until now.
I have another appointment for a 2nd opinion with the same clinic just a different doctor.
I did some reading on the web and came across a condition called vertigo and it describes exactly what I have. It also lists probable causes one being a head injury but I cant find any info that states vertigo can only occur immediately after a head injury or can weeks or months pass. Today I still am dizzy, I cant walk straight, or bend down, I dont want to try driving, and I surely cant work, I feel like Im sea sick. The doctor wouldnt give me any medication so I guess I am stuck in this condition until my next appt.

So my question is can a head injury from 5 weeks prior cause vertigo?
Thank You

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2007, 06:15 PM   #2
(female)

bonzer HB User
Re: Dizzy, nausea, off-balance.

vertigo usually occurs a few days to a month after a head injury if it is going to happen. i would say 5 weeks is normal. when the doctor finds out if it is benign positional vertigo or another cause, then he will know how to treat it. if it happens when you move your head it's BPV and easy to get rid of.
good luck

Old 05-12-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User
Re: Dizzy, nausea, off-balance.

My DH started with the same thing, just last night. He feels OK until he first lays down, when he first gets up or when he looks up or down. The PP is right about it probably being positional vertigo, which could occur that long after a head injury according to what I read on the internet tonight. The most common cause of this type of vertigo is an inbalance in the inner ear. Try taking some Benadryl or Dimetapp. An antihistamine will make you feel much better, though they do cause a bit of drowiness and you may have to take them for awhile before you feel better consistantly without them. You could also try a motion sickness drug like Dramamine.

Nancy

Closed Thread