It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
(female)

riversleeps HB User
Unhappy Pain in tailbone?? Cyst?

Hi there. I went to a theme park 2 weekends ago and didn't think anything of riding rollercoasters (i'm 24) and having a good time. About a week later I started having awful pain when sitting, walking or applying pressure to the tailbone area (right above the crack). at first, i attributed it to perhaps brusing of my tailbone on a rollercoaster, but the pain is getting more intesne, its hard to sit for periods or time or walk long distances. My mother has experienced Polinidal cysts before and swears up and down thats what it must be....even though there is not anything you can SEE at the moment (no boil, abraision or really anything raised....)

Any opinions?

Last edited by riversleeps; 05-14-2007 at 09:01 AM.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User
Re: Pain in tailbone?? Cyst?

I think it's more likely that your first suspicion is the correct one- that you have bruised your tailbone. Either way, you can pick up a "donut" at the drugstore (I saw some ar Wal-Mart) that will make the sitting part easier.

A trip to the doctor is in order, if you really fear it may be a cyst.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2007, 08:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I vote with your mother. Pilonidal cysts usually aren't obvious externally.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:42 AM   #4
(female)

jimmielegs HB User

A donut pillow may not give you what you need in that you want to suspend your tailbone when sitting. Perhaps a "tush cush" would be better because the cutout is directly under your tailbone. Check it out on the web by searching on "tush cush." You'll find lots of hits.

Several months back, I thought I had a pilonidal cyst due to the type of pain you describe, which became more intense every day. Fortunately, a surgeon was able to say with certainty that I did NOT have a cyst. She recommended a tush cush and a new, softer chair at work. I am 90% pain free.

That said, pilonidal cysts are nothing to sneeze at. They never go away on their own. So, if you have a cyst, you must get it removed, you must follow doc's orders for proper healing. It will only get worse, until you end up in ER in such pain you'll allow anyone to operate. Don't wait for that, please. Do yourself a favor and have yourself checked out.

Last edited by jimmielegs; 05-16-2007 at 07:43 AM.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:16 AM   #5
(female)

Post-It HB User

Hi riversleeps, my husband's Pilonidal cyst started out just like yours and he had many of the same symptoms. You might want to get it checked out just in case.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:06 PM   #6
(female)

ashley19 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by riversleeps View Post
Hi there. I went to a theme park 2 weekends ago and didn't think anything of riding rollercoasters (i'm 24) and having a good time. About a week later I started having awful pain when sitting, walking or applying pressure to the tailbone area (right above the crack). at first, i attributed it to perhaps brusing of my tailbone on a rollercoaster, but the pain is getting more intesne, its hard to sit for periods or time or walk long distances. My mother has experienced Polinidal cysts before and swears up and down thats what it must be....even though there is not anything you can SEE at the moment (no boil, abraision or really anything raised....)

Any opinions?
I have a polinodal cyst and i felt the same way you did i notice it was uncomfortable but i thought i must have done something to bruise my tailbone and that it would go away but it stayed sore and i was worried but i couldn't see anything there the spot looked completley normal but because i waited to seek medical advice it eventually developed into an abscess and i had to have it lanced (having it surgically removed soon) your mom has probably informed you already that its not a fun thing to deal with so i would say she is probably right go to the doctor they will either tell you your fine and just bruised or the will treat it if it is a cyst and no matter what you will be able to sit comfortably again. good luck

Closed Thread