It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2007, 11:52 AM   #1
(male)

bobbyjackpot HB User
Weird Head Problem

So for a little over a year now I've been dealing with this condition thats really starting to affect my life and the things I can and cannot do. I have this intense outward pressure in my head like the inside of my head wants to jump out of my skull. Also, i feel like i'm in a complete fog and just detached from the world. My vision sometimes gets blurry and i'm extremely fatigued all the time. Also, I find that if I wear a hat it feels a lot better than if I didnt and I often find it difficult to keep my head up so I rest I have to rest it on my hand or the back of a chair. My neck is also very tense and tight. I feel like this 24/7.

Over this past year I have seen 2 neurologists where I had a catscan, eeg and ekg that all came back fine. 3 ENT's ( I found out that I do have a deviated septum and some swelled turbinates, If I had surgery could this possibly fix my problem?), 2 chiropractors for electro stim on my neck (which doesnt help), 2 different doctors for TMJ (They and my neurologist say i dont have it but my chiro thinks I do), my carorid artery test came back fine, bloodwork is all norml. Went to a psychiatrist where he put me on anxiety pills and anti depressents which didnt do anything (I'm a pretty happy outgoing guy but I'd figure I'd give it a shot). Went to an allergist he says i have no allergies, we had a catscan of my sinus cavity and its totally fine. I'm at the point where I want a test to come back with a problem so we can identify it and get to the bottom of it. The psychiatrist recommended maybe a thyroid issue. Is this a possibility?

I'm a 23 year old male. I exercise regularly. I eat very very healthy. I drink maybe 300 milligrams of caffeine a day. I'm not overweight. I smoke maybe 3-5 cigarettes a day. I notice that when I drink a lot of alcohol (and smoke more cigarettes) on a weekend night, the next day is unusually bad. I'm studying to be a teacher and at this point i'm terrified that i'm not going to be able to do it.

Can someone please help me or point me in the right direction !! No doctor seems to really care. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2007, 12:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User
Re: Weird Head Problem

I think your psychiatrist hit the nail on the head. All of what you're describing can be symptoms of a hypothyroid problem. Next - on to the blood tests! Have them test your TSH, FT4, FT3 and thyroid antibodies (TPO and TgAb). You need to have all these tests done in order to get a good idea of what your thyroid's doing.

Many drs tend to test and treat by TSH alone. While it works well as a guide, it's not the holy grail by any means. You can have a perfectly normal TSH level and still be horribly hypo. Also, just so you know, the "new" standard for TSH levels is .3-3.0. Many labs and drs are using the old standard, and as a result, a large number of people with hypo go untreated.

You might want to read up on the thyroid. There are a lot of excellent sites out there.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 05-17-2007, 03:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sheriff56 HB User

Check out the inner ear disorder board and see if you can relate to any of the symptons there??
Jayne

Old 05-17-2007, 10:45 AM   #4
(male)

bobbyjackpot HB User

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I tried to make an appointment with an endocrinologist and they said that I would need blood work done. Is this something I should get done at my primary ? Can I tell them to test for TSH, FT4, FT3 and thyroid antibodies?

About the inner ears; I have been to 3 ENTs in the past 6 months and none have said anything about the inner ear. Is this something they should just notice or should I tell them something specific to look for. Come to think of it, I dont even know if they have looked in there. Should I try another one?

Old 05-17-2007, 12:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyjackpot View Post
Thank you very much for the quick reply. I tried to make an appointment with an endocrinologist and they said that I would need blood work done. Is this something I should get done at my primary ? Can I tell them to test for TSH, FT4, FT3 and thyroid antibodies?
When you're making your appointment, ask if the endo treats by TSH levels or by symptoms. If they treat by TSH alone, make more phone calls until you find a dr that treats by symptoms. You can get those tests done by your primary or by an endo. I think even your psychiatrist can order them (being a doctor and all that). Just be prepared to put up a bit of a fight if they're not well-versed with thyroid problems (I'm still trying to get my FT3 and FT4 tested. Harrumph!). Be persistent. Be a pain in the butt. Wear them down. Hopefully, you'll have great drs and won't have to go through all that.

Please keep us posted.

Last edited by Nyxie63; 05-17-2007 at 12:30 PM.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:04 AM   #6
(male)

bobbyjackpot HB User

Are you having these tests done because you have similar symptoms ?

Old 05-21-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Some of my symptoms are similar, some are different. Then again thyroid symptoms really do vary from person to person. Like you, I have the occasional blurry vision, fatigue, tight neck, chronic sinus problems, and brain fog. Then again, I also have thyroid nodules, acid reflux, plantars fasciitis, anxiety, depression, cold hands and feet, sensitivity to both heat and cold, Reynaud's syndrome, and a whole slew of other things that may or may not be thyroid related. Right now, I'm in the process of trying to get a proper diagnosis, hence getting my FT4 and FT3 tested. Since a great many illnesses have overlapping symptoms, it's really a method of elimination to find the right one.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
(male)

bobbyjackpot HB User

OK So I just got my results back and the doc said all the bloodword came back normal. I still do not trust them. I wanted there to be something wrong.

Here is exactly what it says. Can you please tell me how this looks and where I should go from here?

T-4 5.0 MCG/DL 4.5-12.0

T-3 UPTAKE 33.3 % 24.0-40.0

TSH 2.38 uIU/ml 0.35-5.50

FREE T-4 1.17 NG/DL 0.83-1.85

Old 05-31-2007, 04:07 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyjackpot View Post
OK So I just got my results back and the doc said all the bloodword came back normal. I still do not trust them. I wanted there to be something wrong.

Here is exactly what it says. Can you please tell me how this looks and where I should go from here?

T-4 5.0 MCG/DL 4.5-12.0

T-3 UPTAKE 33.3 % 24.0-40.0

TSH 2.38 uIU/ml 0.35-5.50

FREE T-4 1.17 NG/DL 0.83-1.85

Talk to your dr again. They ran an outdated thyroid panel. They should have run FT3 instead of T3 uptake. They also didn't run the antibodies tests. They're using the old range for the TSH. The new one is .3-3.0. Now, while your TSH is still within range, most people feel better when it's closer to 1.

Your FT4 is less than midway in the range - it should be higher.

Your next move is to either talk your doctor into running the needed tests, talking him into giving you a trial dose of thyroid meds, or finding a dr who knows what they're doing and will treat by symptom, not test results alone. Either way it won't be easy. I've already fired 2 docs and am working on my 3rd in 4 months.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:32 PM   #10
(male)

bobbyjackpot HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyxie63 View Post
Talk to your dr again. They ran an outdated thyroid panel. They should have run FT3 instead of T3 uptake. They also didn't run the antibodies tests. They're using the old range for the TSH. The new one is .3-3.0. Now, while your TSH is still within range, most people feel better when it's closer to 1.

Your FT4 is less than midway in the range - it should be higher.

Your next move is to either talk your doctor into running the needed tests, talking him into giving you a trial dose of thyroid meds, or finding a dr who knows what they're doing and will treat by symptom, not test results alone. Either way it won't be easy. I've already fired 2 docs and am working on my 3rd in 4 months.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you so much for your input. As you probably realize by now, Doctors do not like to be told what to do. They even seemed ****** when I said I wanted to come by and pick up a copy of the results. Do you think I should say "Someone on this health message board told me to do this". I have a feeling they're not going to respond well to that. Also, what do you mean a doctor that treats by symptoms? Do you think I should try someone else ? I cannot thank you enough for your help. After about 2 years I finally feel like i'm on the right path and its all thanks to you and this board.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:50 AM   #11
(male)

bobbyjackpot HB User

Today I feel like I cannot even move. I feel unbelievably lethargic and am having trouble keeping my eyes open. Its troubling because my body feels like it does not want to do anything but my mind wants to do everything. -
I have been awake for 5 hours or so and it seems to be getting worse. I had a little more than 8 hours of sleep last night, ate almost perfectly, drank plenty of water and exercised. I just dont understand it ... Could this also be thyroid related?? I'm starting to feel like a hypochondriac haha

Closed Thread