It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
(male)

gdelarocks HB User
Neck questions

Any male who could answer these concerns (being males have adam's apples) would be appreciated. Almost four weeks ago I had a severe sore throat for a few days and it went away to be replaced by a feeling of there being a golf ball stuck in my throat. I went to the doctor, he said most likely strep and that I was actually self recovering. He perscribed antibiodics (Cephalexin) which I allergically reacted to with a rash and said that because I was self recovering my culture had come up negative so perscribing new meds wasn't necesary. The "golf ball" feeling has never been as intense as it was and came back for a little each day for the next week, didn't come back really for a week and then did come around again. It isn't painful as much as annoying. Right underneath my adam's apple there is a lump that if I look and in the right light is pretty visible when I swallow. It does move up and down when I swallow and it is not rounded, more of like a ridge. Is that abnormal or not? Do I have anything to be worried about? Could that weird golf ballish feeling still be an after effect of my infection or is there something that could be a lot more serious? Help in the form of RESPONSES is appreciated PLEASE and SOON so hopefully I can relax!

Last edited by gdelarocks; 05-16-2007 at 06:59 PM.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Neck questions

Everyone has an Adam's apple; they're just more obvious in men.

It sounds very much like you've had an attack of "acute" thyroiditis - also known as "painful" thyroiditis. The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland that lies at the base of the neck just below the Adam's apple. My guess is reinforced by the fact that there seems to be some enlargement of the gland, based on your observation that it moves when you swallow, and the fact that you feel a "golf ball" sensation in your throat.

I don't believe there's much that can be done about it. It usually runs its course, with only aspirin as a pain reliever needed. It can take a few months, though. You can research it and return to the doctor to educate him if you want. Have him do a thyroid exam... something it doesn't sound like he did yet, probably because he hasn't learned the art of it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2007, 09:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

There is also a band of cartilage called the cricoid that is situated just under the adam's apple (pressure on it used during CPR to make the breaths go in better). It may have been there all along and you only just noticed because you were looking specifically there.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:06 PM   #4
(male)

gdelarocks HB User

Should also mention that two weeks ago about four or five days experienced soreness in jaw on both sides for about an hour or two but havent experienced these symptoms in almost two weeks. I also am kind of fatifgued today but haven't overall been fatigued- slept just four and a half hours fri night with an hour nap saturday then got only 5 hours of sleep sunday and had to get up and go to three hours of work mowing on a golf course sunday morning, really didnt nap and worked 4 and half hours on my feet at a supermarket. Never was that tired, last night I got a solid 8 hours of sleep and have felt more fatigued today then sun or mon. I also should mention I worked out four days in a row (today being my day off). Maybe this will furhter help.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The jaw pain would be a typical symptom at the onset of the thyroid disorder I talked about. The disorder causes fluctuations in thyroid hormone levels, and that in turn would affect your energy levels.

Return to the doctor if you're still in pain and/or concerned. Ask for thyroid blood tests and a physical thyroid exam to confirm the suspected diagnosis.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:21 AM   #6
(male)

gdelarocks HB User

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it. The fact that what you suggested is pretty harmless and just a typical "run its course" problem, I feel like I can relax a whole lot more. Normal energy level today by the way. Unless I feel terrible between now and my routine physical in 2 and half weeks I will likely have him do the blood and physical tests for my thyroid. Thanks much again for your assisstance.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh, you're welcome!
One more thing... If thyroiditis is what you have/had, you are at higher risk of developing permanent hypothyroidism in the future. Make sure - if thyroiditis is confirmed now - that you keep check on your thyroid function at future annual physicals, having at least both TSH and free T4 tests.

Closed Thread