It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2007, 03:42 AM   #1
(female)

Katestar HB User
lymph nodes?

Hi Iíve got a medical form here with a space for ďlymph nodesĒ while Iíve got a general idea of what they are Iím not sure how the doctorís supposed to check them.

Could someone please put my mind at ease?

Old 05-18-2007, 03:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
Re: lymph nodes?

if you can explain more in detail about what you mean, I'll try to help.

Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2007, 04:14 AM   #3
(female)

Katestar HB User

Well what I have in front of me is a medical examination form with a break-down of what the doctor needs to look at and well- there's a space for Lymph Nodes.

Guess I'd like to know how the doctor's supposed to check them.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

thanks for explaining more in detail Katestar,
I'm sorry I didn't understand at first.
they palpate them.
which means to just touch them to see if they're enlarged or not.
we have many many lymphnodes in our body that run like a channel. a lymph node channel.
they are part of our defense system and if a foreign agent is in our body, our cells recognize this and attack it. the lymph nodes are supposed to filter them in a sense.
sometimes lymph nodes become enlarged due to allergins, cancers, viruses, etc.
we have them behind our knees, inside and behind the elbows, on our scalp, behind the ears, under the jaw line and down the sides of your neck and under your collar bones and inside your groin, behind the knees, under your arm pits, etc.
you can ****** the human body or lymph nodes and see an illustration.

your dr will most likely during the examination feel under your arm pits quickly, in your groin area, and under your jaw line on both sides of your neck.
these are the 3 places they mostly check during a physical.
they just place there finger and hands there and move it around which is called "palpate". Like when you give yourself a breast examination each month.

most people can't feel their lymph nodes, but very thin people can feel them and become alarmed because they feel them, especially in the groin area.

anything larger than 2cm is of certain to the dr's and that's when they do further testing on the patient.

I hope I was able to help answer your question.
you sound like you're getting ready to have a physical from the dr. am I correct on this?

don't worry. it's all normal that they do this.

I'm here if you need to talk about it.

sincerely,
Linda

Old 05-20-2007, 04:08 PM   #5
(female)

Katestar HB User

Thank you, I assume groin in this context to mean the inner thighs and not somewhere more *ahem* personal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lintek45;29***55
you sound like you're getting ready to have a physical from the dr. am I correct on this?
Indeed.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:48 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, absolutely, that's what I meant by groin. the inner thighs.
<<smile>>

good luck on your exam.

Linda

Old 05-22-2007, 01:38 PM   #7
(female)

Katestar HB User

Thank you thatís certainly a relief (all my web searches on the subject were showing up breast cancer related info).

Old 05-22-2007, 02:36 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

A asked a question a while back on these message boards about swollen lymph nodes and was given this answer :
Ever been tested for EBV, it can cause recurring flares of swollen lymph nodes throughout the body as well as a underlying bacterial infection.Your lymph nodes are filters or defence mechanisms in a sense. A hand infection usually cause under arm swelling of the auxillary nodes, sinus or tooth infections cause the neck lymph nodes to swell ect....Antibiotics are a start but does not get to the root of the problem.I'd go to another doctor or ask the previous one to look further

Old 06-03-2007, 07:16 PM   #9
(female)

Katestar HB User

Just wanted to say that I had the exam on Thursday and it went largely as described save for some slightly palpitation of the nodes in my breasts (though I was largely covered for this).

Anyway wanted to say thank you for the help.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:42 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

it is so good to hear back from you kate star ansd that you're exam went well. it wasn't that bad, right?
it's important to do self breast exams every month. I'm sure you're aware of this, right?
pick a date every month after your mensus, not before, beause the denstity of the breast changes with your cycle.
If you're breasts feel lumpy and they're always that way, get used to where they're lumpy, this way if any new lumps appear, then you'll know to alert your dr and they'll do follow up.
I'm trying to instill this into my daughters, but they don't listen to me.
it's soooo important. and there's this false myth that mamograms hurt.
maybe for some if they're breasts are tender, but it's not so awful as to being told you have breast cancer up the road becuse they're too afraid to suffer alittle uncomfortbleness during a mammogram.

I didn't ask how old you are because i didn't want to put you on the spot.

I'm 46 and have been getting tested yearly since i was in my 30's. due to my sisters having hade breast cancer.

good luck on your journey of good health.
and thanks for keeping in touch wiht a follow up.

sincerely,
Linda

Old 06-05-2007, 02:56 PM   #11
(female)

Katestar HB User

Well I didn't like the touching there, especially since there was no warning but yes it could've been worse

I do check myself once a month and have done so since I was 16 (am 19 now).

Thank you for your concern.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:41 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

it makes me happy Katestar to hear that young woman like yourself are being intelligent to remember to do monthly checks. it's so important.

my oldest daughter age 23 JUST went to her lady dr. for ladies, (gynocologist) and had a pap test done. she went for another reason though. we were expecting the card to come in the mail telling us everything was fine but instead when I got home from work the other day, there was a message from her dr. stating that her tests are back and she needs to go over them with her.

her pap test came back positive. there is a pre-cancerous condition going on and the HPV virus is the cause of it. are you familiar with the name of HPV?
I think all young woman by the age of 18 should learn about this virus and should be made aware of getting yearly exams also.

just to let you know this in case you aren't aware. I figure if I can help one person out there, I've helped maybe save a life.

they're just starting to put commericals on t.v. here in New York to make young woman aware and I couldn't be more happy to see this marketing effort.

I hope you have a healthy and happy life.

sincerely,
Linda

Closed Thread