It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2007, 04:52 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User
kidney stones

Hi. I posted a litlte while ago about having the kidney stones. It had almost been three weeks of having them, when they did surgery to remove one of them (the one that was passing, because it was making my kidney enflamed). Right now, both sides hurt, but really close to my stomach. They didn't go into the left side at all, even though I had stones in both sides, high and low. They went in through the urethra. They put a stent in the right side, and if I move, I feel like it is pulling. It hurts so bad. It isn't bleeding as much today, but yesterday it bled a lot, and I filled a whole pad, even though I thought you were only supposed to bleed while urinating. I don't understand the abdominal pain. It is nowhere near the same area it hurt with the sone moving. I am taking two percocet, and an antispasm medication, and it still hurts. I hate it. I have also had migraines for the last couple of months, that have gotten worse. I used to have them really bad, but for about a year they had went away. I have no idea if any of this is related, but I am in a lot of pain. Just had my gallbladder out in the beginning of April, and then yesterday had surgery, so within two months had two surgeries. At least there were no incisions yesterday. Also, it really really burns when I urinate. I have to go to the bathroom like every 20-30 minutes, if I can wait that long. It stings so bad, before and after going. Is this normal? Neither me nor my parents had a talk with the urologist yesterday who did the surgery, so I can't really ask them what they think, and it is embarrassing anyways. I just want to know what si going on. Thanks!
Daisy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2007, 06:25 AM   #2
(female)

jcjwillis HB User
Re: kidney stones

I would definetely contact the urologist who did your surgery and see if the things you are having are normal.
Doctors usually encourage you to call if you have problems or questions!
Hope you feel better soon!

Old 05-18-2007, 07:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Thanks. I will call them today. Hopefully I will feel better really soon. Hopefully nothing is going on.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Went to urologist to have the stent taking out on Monday. I felt so much better afterwards. I am still feeling good. I am going back in two weeks to get my options about the other stones, because there are a lot of them. Hopefully they will have figured out what was causing them, and can tell me, because every time I go and have a CT scan, there are more stones than before. But, for now I am doing good.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

bananrama,
did you know your kidneys were swollen before you had the imaging tests to show they were enlarged?

I didn't even know mine was until I had an catscan performed via emergency room for pain I was having on the lower right side of my pelvic area, thinking it was my appendix.

they foudn out my right kidney and tube was enlarged and they didn't rule out a stone. they didn't see a stone and don't know if I had maybe passed one.

I was supposed to go for a follow up the next day with a specialtist and have an ivp performed but I have no insurance and can't have the test done.
my question is, could I still have enlarged kidney even though my pain has gone away and I don't have that sharp stabbing feeling in my bladder anymore when I urinate like I used to from time to time?

they called it hydronephrosis and right hydrorouter.

is that what you had with your stones too?

Linda

Old 05-25-2007, 06:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Linda, they didn't say anything about what it was called or anything. The CT scan was what showed the enlargment after I had the third one done. I was supposed to have the IVP, but I was in to much pain to do it, so they opted for another CT scan instead, so I didn't have to lay down as long. I don't really know what it feels like, because I was in the process of trying to pass a stone, but it wasn't passing, so I had to have it surgically removed. Not so much fun.
I would definitely try working out a payment plan with the local hospital if I were you. And try finding a urologist in your area that will accept a payment plan. I know in the area where I go to school, they have a lot of doctors who will work with you. Hopefully it is gone, but you never know, and you reallly don't want to end up back in hte ER with more pain, so it is better to get it taken care of before that happens.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Hi, Allie! I am doing pretty good. I have been off pain killers since Monday, and I have been on them since April, so that is amazing. I can finally think clearly again. I am going back to the urologist in a week and a half to see what my options are with the rest of the stones. But for now, I am feeling great, and just hoping not to start passing any more stones. I ended up having two removed surgically last week, but I have a lot more in both kidneys. Praying that they will have a good option as to what to do, but part of the treatment will depend on whether my kidneys are still swollen. I also had some type of infection somewhere. I don't really know how to read the surgeons report, but that is what I got out of it. But, since the surgery and having the stent removed, I have been feeling much better, and now have stopped having bladder spasms, and pain. Doing so much better! Thanks for asking.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:00 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

Bananarama,
I am happy to hear you're not suffering anymore. I wish you the best outcome and hope you keep us informed of your progress.

Allie,
thank you for your advice.

Linda

Old 05-29-2007, 07:23 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Hey! Ok, well I was feeling great for most of the week. Saturday I was at a party though, and played volleyball, and then my side started killing me again, just like before. But then later, I played softball (I am a glutten for punishment), both sides started hurting. The pain is in the kidney area. It hurts really bad. It is on both sides, but isn't constant. I don't really know what it is, but I know it feels like the pain is in the kidney area, but it doesn't feel like stones really. I don't understand why the pain is on both sides. It is really annoying. Any suggestions as to what I can/should do?? My parents want me to wait to go to the doctor until next Tuesday. I am not supposed to drive right now, because of random migraines that I can't control. I am in need of going to the doctor for that as well, because I haven't yet. But I have to find a doctor here for that. I can't really go to my urologist for that. Hehe. Anyways, I said that just so that you know that my parents are my ride, so pretty much what they say goes.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:09 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

I am taking Vicodin. I went to an urgent care earlier today. The doctor just ordered an ultrasound, and said that he doesn't know what it is. I don't know what the ultrasound showed, but I must say that the pain was horrible throughout the ultrasound, because of all the pushing. The doctor couldn't believe that both sides hurt. If I hadn't had the surgeon's report with me from teh kidney stone removal and had the scars from the recent gallbladder removal, I don't think this doctor would have believed me. I am really tired of this mess. Hopefully my urologist next week will have some sort of clue as to what is going on. I will have the ultrasound results faxed to them. Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to go and try them!! The doctor didn't give me anything stronger for pain. I really don't feel comfortable taking strong stuff anymore, because I was on Percocet for a long time, but I really hate the effect that the narcotics have on my head. Also, I didn't tell my parents I was going to the doctor, and they are the only ones with money, so I can't afford any prescriptions. I spent over 3 hours at the doctors office, and still no answers. Oh well, something will happen soon.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:13 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User

Bananarama, any kind of physical activity will have the kidney stones start moving around again. I'm glad you will be seeing your urologist soon. Tell him you want them gone. They can zap them to make them smaller to pass through your urine. Anyway if you are still having pain like that, it means you still have kidney stones. Good luck.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:34 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Thanks! So, should I do physical activities or not??

Old 05-29-2007, 01:35 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Thanks to both of you! I appreciate all of the support I have recieved!! It helps so much!!

Closed Thread