It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2007, 09:53 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

nokoBot HB User
Gardener dad, but I have scoliosis and bad back

He wants me to do all back bending things and with me it's like i do any little thing and i get sprained. sos today he told me to pickup a bunch of bricks to move them.. i got sprained in my back , now it's hurting alot and i didn't even do much to get hurt.

But i've had alot of sprains there before. How can you deal with a dad that wants you to be macho , and do tough stuff, when you're injured and he doesn't care nor understand? i'm 27

i would like to do tough stuff also but i can't. my knees don't work, i have arthritis, and my back doesn't work either. it's weeak

Old 05-19-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User
Re: Gardener dad, but I have scoliosis and bad back

You can start helping your self by exercising you back to strength it. Exercises help in preventing deterioration of the back posture and play a positive role in helping the spine to resist from further curving. Stretching exercises are performed to increase the mobility of the spine in the right direction. Yoga, Pilate's, and stretching are good starters.

I grew up with a girl that had to wear a half body brace all during school for her scoliosis. She read up on exercising and the good it does and now she is able to do just about anything she wants she weight lifts and all. The girl I work with has it and she unloads trucks with heavy material.

There are so many people today that do anything they want with scoliosis. It may not be that you dad does not understand he may know people that have it and is comparing them to you. If your dad is lilke my dad injury or no injury I should tough it out and work.

Until you get better or until you can make your dad more sympathetic try wearing a brace. They sell them at most hardware stores and bend at the knees when lifting. Take Tylenol before you do any work to help prevent pain.

For your arthritis Vit C,Omega-3 fatty acids,Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin B and calicum will help alot.

-Calicum. Getting too little calcium raises the risk of osteoporosis, a brittle-bone condition that accelerates if you have rheumatoid arthritis.

-Vit B- vitamin B6 and folate are among the nutrients most likely to be lacking in people with arthritis. There's evidence that the inflammation process eats up these B vitamins especially fast in people with arthritis -- bad news for a variety of bodily functions, including the manufacturing of protein, the building block for tissues such as cartilage.

-Vit E- is an antioxidant vitamin that protects the body -- including the joints -- from the ravages of free radicals. Some of the same research showing that other nutrients protect against arthritis also indicates that vitamin E can help prevent joints from becoming worse, though E's effects appear more limited than those of vitamins C and D.

-Vit D- Studies find that getting more vitamin D protects joints from osteoarthritis damage, probably because this nutrient is vital to the health of bones that support and underlie joints. Vitamin D also appears to play a role in production of collagen in joints themselves.

Vit C- not only helps produce collagen, a major component of joints, but sweeps the body of destructive molecular byproducts known as free radicals, which are destructive to joints.

Omega 3- increasing your intake of omega-3 fatty acids can help soften symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis,

Last edited by FromSqueaky; 05-19-2007 at 10:02 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread