It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2007, 05:51 AM   #1
(male)

Cowbell88 HB User
Exclamation Bad diet?

Hello, this is my first post here, and I have some questions to ask.

In January this year I decided to loose weight finally, so I cut out all the soda, I've been drinking 6 cans a day for most of my life, so thats 600 calories I cut out, then I totally changed my diet, I went from eating about 2500 calories of food a day to about 1000-1200 calories a day, so I cut my diet in half, about 1500-2000 calories. But I have been going through a horrible year ever since, and the it took me awhile to think, maybe its from my diet..

I've been having a 24/7 feeling of dread, tons of anxiety, I stopped hanging out with friends, lots of stress, I have been having trouble thinking, I am always tired, the physical symptoms like, chest pain, hard to breath, swollen feeling throat, hard to breath through my nose, headaches, dizziness, lightheaded, irritable, mood swings, the whole lot, its been miserable, do you think its from my diet, just from to little calories?

I've been healthy my whole life, and this is just absurd, I just can't live another day like this, but I am afraid if I start switching my diet back, then I'll end up being fatter then I started, because for some reason I never lost any weight, after 5 months of all this, plus at least an hour of exorcise a day. I ended up going to the hospital one night I felt so horrible, but they said it was a anxiety attack. Then I went to the doctor, he couldn't see anything off the top wrong, but I did not mention my diet, then I went and got my blood tested for diabetes and I don't have that.

Oh by the way, I'm 19, male, I weigh 180, and I'm 5' 7".
And my daily intake is usually, a can of soup for breakfast, a can of soup for lunch, and a 600 calorie dinner. The cans of soup are 250 calories each.

Please help.

Thanks!

Cody

Last edited by Cowbell88; 05-20-2007 at 05:53 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2007, 09:48 AM   #2
(male)

rob1985 HB User
Re: Bad diet?

I am not a nutritionist by any means but you need to focus less on calorie consumption. Moderation along with exercise is the best alternative to losing wieght. Mix it up with lunch and breakfast. You should get more grains and carbs with some fruit in the morning, try mixing up lunch with sandwhiches and what not and make sure you get plenty helpings of fresh vegtables. If you are also that concerned see your doctor.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

KittenPaws HB User

I agree with the above poster. You dont get all your vitamin needs through soup as well, your body NEEDS vitamins to function right. It looks like your consuming the wrong foods to get the calories you need (wich it could be a little bit more on the healthy side in number). The best way to get vitamins is through food, pills are 2nd best.

Have you seeen a dietician or nutritionalist? They can help you tweek your diet to meet your needs in both vitamins and calorie consumption and help with exorcise as well.

Last edited by KittenPaws; 05-20-2007 at 11:21 AM. Reason: If i didnt make any sense...its cuz im not awake yet sorry :(

Old 05-21-2007, 08:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User

I also agree with the above posters...

It's ok to watch your calories, but you have to be more concerned about the healthy ingredients. By cutting out a large variety of food you're also cutting out alot of vitamins and nutrients that your body needs. Not getting proper vitamins can definitely effect you negatively.

If you're body isn't getting enough calories, then it will go into "survival mode" and will store the fat instead of burning it off.... which is probably why you feel you haven't lost any weight.

Stress/anxiety will also effect the body is various ways.

Try balancing out your diet better. "They" say to eat something small every 2-3 hours a day to keep your metabolism up. Start off with a light breakfast; cereal with a piece of fruit. Then have a small snack; an apple, a granola bar.. you can have a sandwhich or something for lunch, a little after that another heathly/light snack. for dinner have chicken or fish with a veggie. after that yogurt or popcorn for a little snack. This is just example really. The "trick" is a healthy balance, and portion control. Pasta is good, as long as you're not eating enough to serve 3 people!! Check out the diet/nutrition board for more help with specifics.

While working on bettering your diet, work on lessening the stress in your life. Easier siad than done, I know. If you have a lot of work (school or other) make sure that you make time for yourself too. "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." (ever see the Shinning!!?)

Ok, I've rambled long enough. I hope you start to feel better!

Old 05-21-2007, 08:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

You need two glasses of milk a day.. five servings of fruit and veggies a day and about 4 ounces of protien three times a day. Excess protien is flushed. Keep your protien sources lean. You seem to be suffering from malnutricion. If you are in college your student health center should have a nutricionist that can help you with your diet. Also you can look into visiting the physical education department and see if they have any healthy living studies you can join for free. I am soing that this summer and get free phys ed courses and a personal trainer 2x a week.

Another thing to look into is weight watchers.. it is not just a girl thing and it help me lose 45 pounds and I am still losing.. I have 15 pounds to go.

Sincerely,
MG

Closed Thread