It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2007, 10:46 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

nokoBot HB User
What makes you disabled or not disabled?

I'm 27 male. With knee arthritis and history of knee teears that has left me with bad knees and bad knee muscles. I also tore my sternum( chest) muscle in 1998 trying to do a back bend backwards, and it hurts really bad if i try to lift my arms( sometimes it does..wow pretty painful,, but most other days if i'm careful and don't lift stuff and don't move chest too quickly, it doesn't hurt at all..so you see i'm pretty limited)

Then i have a history of sprains in my back. and due to some scoliosis and some ohter reason, i keep getting backsprains easily.

I also have Hyperacusis( ear problem) and then i got carpal tunnel( or ulnar nerve syndrome).

Anyways, i can't walk that much. i can't run at all. i can't lift things fast and can't lift heavy things, i can't bend my knees at all as in doing a full heel to buttock squat. and can't unbend them and bend them repeatedly because i get knots and it feels really bad. then i also have bone pain due to arthritis. I have hip pain often because of unbalanced leg size ( due to operation since childhood)..etc.. so i feel pretty disabled. I don't think employers or whoever would think ki'm disabled. but
if we call people in wheelchairs disabled, if we call blind people disabled becausee of the fact that a part of their functioning is missing, then why am i not considered disabled when many parts of me do not function?

Old 05-22-2007, 09:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: What makes you disabled or not disabled?

You are not diabled just because certain parts of your bady hurt. If that were the case, then I would be diasabled because I have two 15" titanium rods and 20 screws in my back and I cannot bend over any more nor do I turn or bend like I use to. I live with constanct pain every day, as do many folks.

Just because you have parts that don't work as well as they should, that does not classify you as disabled. It may limit how you do things, but it is not stopping your life.

To be disabled you need to prove that you have an imparement that severly restricts you from doing activities that are of central importance to every day life...like cooking, cleaning, dressing yourself. From what you wrote I would assume that you can dress yourself, cook for yourself, care for yourself.

Last edited by ibake&pray; 05-22-2007 at 11:04 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2007, 09:37 AM   #3
(female)

babyluv45 HB User
Re: What makes you disabled or not disabled?

i say you are disabled if you are in significant amounts of pain that interfere with your life or have severe restrictions on your mobility, which it sounds you have.

Closed Thread