It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
(female)

santo HB User
pain after IV insertion

i had an endoscopy a week ago, and the nurse had trouble getting the IV in. she chose a vein near the side of my wrist and kept jabbing it in to no avail- the pain was really bad, it felt like two explosions had gone off inside of my hand. i've never felt that kind of pain from any needle before. afterward, she chose a different vein and that was fine. but a couple of days after the procedure, i developed a random, deep green bruise on the area, and when i tap the bruise, or at any given time, this pin *****ling feeling radiates up to my hand, through my fingers, and before it also went down my arm. it's an odd, painful feeling. i'm wondering if this could possibly be nerve damage, or just may be unrelated? is it normal to have that type of pain from a bruise and/or IV?

Old 05-23-2007, 03:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
Re: pain after IV insertion

It sounds like she hit a nerve. That has happened to me to, and may takes months to go away. Don't ever let them continue jabbing you, when there are signs something is wrong!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2007, 05:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

When I was in the Army, we practiced IV's on each other; I was a hard stick and would always end up getting my IV done where you had yours. Every once in a while they would hit a nerve, and it is just as you described. It never took very long to get better, either-certainly not months (but nerves are weird, and I can see how it would).

It will get better, though.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
(female)

santo HB User

thanks for the assurance! i'm glad it's nothing unusual.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

I have had 3 IV's in the hand recently, due to havingsurgeries, and an endoscopy. Once, with the endoscopy, it was fine, just hurt while it was in. Another one was in the side, and ended up going under the bone in my wrist. I had a huge bruise all the way down the side of my arm. After a few hours of it being in, I was crying any time they put something into it, or when I moved it. Finally they moved it to my arm, where it didn't hurt at all. THat is where I prefer it. Took about a month to heal, and sometimes it still hurts. Last week, they got me in the middle of the hand. It is still really sore to touch the middle of my hand, and the whole vein. It looks faintly blue across the whole hand. You can still see the holes from all three, even though one was done in December, one last month, and the other was last week. I really don't understand it all, but it hurts like the devil.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:56 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Tivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB User

I had a similar experience with my last surgery. They claimed the intense stinging sensation was the numbing agent but I'm not convinced! The first vein she tried on the left hand collapsed and it hurt soooooo bad! Then the doctor actually came and found a vein on my left hand and that one hurt, too, but perhaps not as much.

So then I noticed after my surgery, the hand with the collapsed vein, the one that was not actually used for the IV hurt worse than the one they used for the IV! I was in pain for a good month after the surgery was over! I mean not huge pain, but just if I tapped it or brushed my hand too hard against something then I felt the pain again. It was weird. It seemed to take a while to go away.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #7
(female)

cathy53 HB User
Re: pain after IV insertion and bruises

IV's should NOT hurt or be uncomfortable if done properly! . A good IV should barely be noticeable. I have had my share of BAD IV's and believe me, there is NO reason you should allow it to go on . Speak up immediately! Dont worry about hurting the persons feelings, its YOUR BODY that they are hurting! I had an endoscope 3 yrs ago and the gal trying to insert my IV was terrible! She kept at it and after several attempts I had to tell her to STOP and to please get someone else to do it. She went to her supervisor and told her I was being uncooperative. The supervisor came over and started to tell me in a stern voice that I had to co-operate but when the supervisor saw the mess the other gal was making in my arm, the supervisor took over, it took less than 30 seconds and I didnt feel a thing . I just had another endoscope this week, the gal started to mess up my arm with the IV, I immediately stopped her and asked for someone else. Another gal finished the job in my hand and it was perfect but the damage had already been done to inner my arm and now I have a gross black and blue mark thats about 6 inches long on my inner arm !
I also had a bad IV in the emergency room as I was being admitted to tel med about 6 yrs ago and suffered in silence for over 10 hrs! Finally I was whimpering from the pain, a nurse came in, saw how bad the IV was and immediately called the head nurse. She redid it in the outer side of my forearm and I didnt even know it was in there! From then on, when it hurts, I stop the process and insist on someone else who is more experienced. In my experience, IV's should NOT be painful or even terribly uncomfortable! If it hurts, it was done incorrectly!

Old 08-12-2007, 01:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User
Re: pain after IV insertion and bruises

That is good advice. Hopefully I won't have to have another one, but since I have kidney stones right now that may have to be removed (in two surgeries), and I have been to ER 4 times in the past 8 months, I think that I may be stuck quite a few more times in my lfe (as I am only 21). I will definitely ask for someone who knows what they are doing!! The many that I have had hurt so bad I just cried!!

Closed Thread