It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
(male)

daytek312 HB User
fingers keep going numb

im an active 21 year old male. no health issues that i know of but have been very stressed and depressed the last few months.

about a couple months ago my right hand went numb when i was drywalling my house. ever since the it has been happening more and more but my left hand has also started as well. i can be doing something as simple as driving and my finger tips will go numb. my left thumb feels like pins and needles as i type this.

any idea what this might be? should i go see a doctor or just wait and see if it goes away?

Last edited by daytek312; 05-22-2007 at 06:02 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to daytek312 For This Useful Post:
niels (04-23-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2007, 06:55 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

nokoBot HB User
Re: fingers keep going numb

well you may not know it but some people are more susceptible to carpal tunnel syndrome or ulnar nerve syndrome especially if they live in modern society using computers or working with their hands a lot.

Even if some peole keep doing hand work and never get it , some of us are more unlucky and do get it.

Another thing is that you may have some blood circulation problem. I also always get hands numb and feet numb at nights.

i hate to say this, but the only thing we can do is to get checked with doctor. I'm getting checked for Diabetes soon, i need a check cause diabetes runs in my family and i 've been having alot of foot numbness and hand numbness and weird pains for no reason.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2007, 03:48 AM   #3
(female)

custard HB User

Hi Nokobot
What sort of pains do you get?
I've had pains in my 'bones' (not necessarily joints) and numbness since I was a small child (I'm 35 now).
I've had my entire arms/hands go completely dead... both at the same time! abut mainly it's my hands and on the left side of my body.
mine can't be carpel tunnel as I don't think that can happen in your whole arms and legs/feet! Doctors ignore me so I've never found out why this is.
Magnesium is brillient as it lowers the pains and there is a slight drop in the 'circulation' thing. I still get it most days but it's definately better.
I am nervious about diabeties now as I had a friend and she kept trying to test me but it was fine (I don't know anything about my families medical history!) but I tend to feel light headed... in a constant fog... I try to drink more water as I tend to dehydrate but then spend lots of time in the loo!
in 22 years of trying to find out what this is I've only ever had a arthritis test done twice - nothing else... and they say it's not that which I already know!
As nothing as been done and I think it stresses my body/mind out so now I'm really unhealthy... in that I have a little list forming of ailments! I never use to get sick but I'm constantly ill now! Is it possible to go to a chemist now and get a diabetic test done? (UK)

Daytek: I use to work in a hospital (only admin side) and the consultants i worked with dealt with carpal tunnel syndrome and I would say it does sound like you do have this. They give you exerise to do and sometimes a steroid jab and it should improve!

Old 05-23-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

nokoBot HB User

Custard I'm 27 now. Well pains? He he i get all kinds of pains. but as for numbness, i get my feet numb.. well mostly the right foot only. often at nights and i have to shake it really bad. I also get my hands like totally dead sometimes.. my carpal tunnel ulnar nerve is really aggrevated by any little typing i do.. AND i have to do typing at work.. so i just have to find tricks to make it better. like when i do repetitive mouse clicking, now i don't do it with the whole finger i use my knuckle and my whole arm instead of just the wrist.

That trick has saved me a lot of nights without hands going numb. Oh, well i would tell you about my knew pain... which is one of the reasons i suggested for the poster to get checked for diabetes... I have had unexplained toe pain( feels as if toe broken) without ever spraining the toe..2 months already and doesn't go away. cant put weight on toe.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:34 AM   #5
(female)

custard HB User

Hi Nokobot
Did your doc tell why you get in your feet as well... I didn't think there was a carpal tunnel in your ankles!?
Luckily I don't use a mouse as that does make my hand tense up. I retouch pics so I have a pen and wacom table... so much better to use. I use to do jobs typing and data entry but I don't find it has any affect on circulation/pains stuff and I had the trouble with my hands etc since I was about 6/7 years old
It started in my feet back then and has slowly crept up my legs... then started in hands which has increased up my arms... I now get it in my shoulderblades and hips/back which is really painful and makes me tense up... I also get really cold sometimes in those areas... I would need a huuuuge water bottle to cover all the areas of pain so I don't usually bother. I try not to take painkillers (ibuprofen only) which helps sometimes to dampen it down (or a placebo affect ... don't mind which!)
All very strange.
I did have one doc who thought perhaps it was fibromyalgia but I never saw him again and I was only tested for arthritis (I was told they were doing a general test so I was annoyed it was for arthritis as I know it's not that!)
Pains increase in damp weather tho'.

I have had stiffness in my toes... and I do wonder if I've broken it or strained it and there is no reason for it to hurt... not dropped anything or hurt it. I also get that feeling when two tiny thin bones have 'crossed' over each other in the arch bit and I can't get it to go back... hurts! but those only last for a day or two so I'm not to fussed about that!
Good luck in your search! I have a feeling I will be having this for the rest of my life and its 'one of those things'!
It's getting worse as I get older - hopefully it will 'stabilise' itself at somepoint.
I'm sticking to the magnesium and I might try Ginko Bilio (or what ever it's called!)
;-)

Old 05-23-2007, 01:10 PM   #6
(male)

daytek312 HB User

the last inch of the middle 2 fingers of my left hand have been numb since yesterday morning and i found it extremely difficult to use that hand at work last night.

if it is carpal tunnel, what needs to be done to correct the problem?

Old 05-23-2007, 11:04 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

nokoBot HB User

surgery or keep off from the activity that causes it. that is, repetitive stuff like typing

Old 05-23-2007, 11:33 PM   #8
(male)

SeanW715 HB User

Dont worry about it.this happened to me afew months ago and lasted like five weeks.What u did was pintch a nerve in ur elbow but dont worry it will go away..try not to lean on it any more ,it happened to me because i always lean on my elbow at work...Youll be fine

<also 21 male snd its not carpel tunnel thats what i thought to till my doctor explained what happened

its called the ulnar nerve

Last edited by SeanW715; 05-23-2007 at 11:37 PM.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:01 AM   #9
(female)

custard HB User

'ActiveClick automatically clicks the mouse, lets you drag windows and text, and makes you take stretch breaks to help relieve the pain of carpal tunnel syndrome, tendentious and RSI.'

Last edited by moderator2; 05-24-2007 at 09:47 AM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 05-24-2007, 04:15 PM   #10
(male)

daytek312 HB User

unfortunatly my job is physicaly demanding and i must use my left hand for the whole shift and it requires a strong grip. its very difficult to work but i have no choice because i have mortgage payments to cover....

Old 05-25-2007, 03:17 AM   #11
(female)

custard HB User

Oh, they removed the link.. It was free software thing for carpal tunnel suffers and gave tips on how to exercise and lessen the pain!
Just trying to be helpful... I wasn't advertising. sorry

Old 05-25-2007, 03:32 AM   #12
(female)

custard HB User

Daytek.
Can't you take a couple of days 'holiday' or a long weekend to rest your hand. It could cause you more problems later!
Have you made an appointment yet to see a consultant - you made need a jab which apparently makes a big difference to the recovery rate.

Closed Thread