It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2007, 02:51 PM   #1
(male)

Perry2 HB User
dizziness after getting up from reclined position?

I am a 46 year old male. I noticed at the gym the other day after doing some leg presses I was dizzy after standing up from a reclined position. Noticed it again yesterday after getting out of the Dentist's chair so does not appear to be exertion related. Saw the Chiropractor today for some neck stretching and manipulation and that didn't fix it, and I was dizzy again after getting up from her bench.
No nausea, headaches or other unpleasant symptoms, and after walking like a sailor for a couple of minutes the slight off balance issue corrects itself.
Anything come to mind? I am not fat but am a huge salt consumer and have been under extreme stress lately. Could this be a blood pressure thing?
I had an inner ear problem last year that messed with my balance kind of like this but then I could feel something wrong in my head. Right now I feel pretty good except for the dizzyness thing. Anyone?

Last edited by Perry2; 05-23-2007 at 02:52 PM.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User
Re: dizziness after getting up from reclined position?

Hi, the first thing that comes to mind is low blood pressure. Do you know what your blood pressure is? If you want to buy a machine for home, they sell them at any drug store. The good ones are close to being accurate. Or maybe something with your ears. Fluid? Any colds or sinus problems lately?
Good luck and hope it goes away soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2007, 03:26 PM   #3
(female)

alien7 HB User

Orthostatic hypotension comes to mind, which occurs upon standing after remaining seated or laying down for a long period of time or getting up to fast. Symptoms usually include dizziness and lightheadedness etc. It is caused by a temporary drop in blood pressure but generally isn't anything serious it happens in healthy people as well as those with health problems.

Last edited by alien7; 05-23-2007 at 03:33 PM.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:30 PM   #4
(male)

Perry2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_in_NJ View Post
Hi, the first thing that comes to mind is low blood pressure. Do you know what your blood pressure is? If you want to buy a machine for home, they sell them at any drug store. The good ones are close to being accurate. Or maybe something with your ears. Fluid? Any colds or sinus problems lately?
Good luck and hope it goes away soon.
Interesting. I thought the salt thing would promote high blood pressure. No cold or sinus issues lately. Have just made an appt with my MD for tomorrow.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:37 AM   #5
(male)

Perry2 HB User

Went to Dr and he did some balance and co-ordination tests, as well as BP and said it is just something that happens and may go away just as suddenly as it came. Not really a satisfactory answer as resting systolic pressure was 109 while we were talking while seated, and up to 140 when I moved from the chair to lay on the exam table.
Will post on the BP forum I guess, to see what they say about the yoyo in the systolic reading.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:03 PM   #6
(male)

Perry2 HB User

After a lot of experimenting it seems my dizziness is linked to head position rather than BP dropping too low. I am too young to have Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo which symptoms most closely match my problems. I guess I will just have to wait it out unless I get new smptoms to bring to my MD. Thanks to those who responded.

Last edited by Perry2; 05-26-2007 at 10:05 PM.

Closed Thread