It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2007, 06:28 PM   #1
(female)

confused8242 HB User
surgery recovery.

i had orthognathic surgery a little under a year ago. they moved my lower jaw, upper jaw and part of my chin. i was wondering if anyone else has gone through this procedure and how it turned out for them?

the reason i ask how it turned out is because i still have limited feeling in my chin and i was wondering if this is normal after this long? its pretty upsetting for me and i was just seeking some advice.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
(female)

dusablon4 HB User
Cool Re: surgery recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused8242 View Post
i had orthognathic surgery a little under a year ago. they moved my lower jaw, upper jaw and part of my chin. i was wondering if anyone else has gone through this procedure and how it turned out for them?

the reason i ask how it turned out is because i still have limited feeling in my chin and i was wondering if this is normal after this long? its pretty upsetting for me and i was just seeking some advice.
Wow, I have been wanting to talk to someone who has had this done. Im supposed to be haveing jaw surgery in Aug. But Im starting to talk myself out of it. Im SCARED. I would love to hear your story, how it all went down. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: surgery recovery.

We had our son's lower jaw broken and realigned because his bite was off by an entire molar. His oral surgeon told him it could take a year for feeling to return to any nerves that were damaged in the surgery. Nerves are delicate things and don't like to be messed around with and when they are moved it takes time for them to settle down and for feeling to return to them after they have been tramatized.

I know that our son said that it was a full year for him to regain feeling in some parts of his jaw..and that he was totally satisfied that he had it done!

You have to realize that any time you start moving around nerves and muscles that it causes irritation and it may cause damage to them that takes time for them to heal. It can also cause damage that sometimes doesn't repair itself. It's a risk that you assume when you undergo the surgery. But for most people it is a risk that they are willing to take.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
(female)

amyv1977 HB User

I had upper and lower jaw surgery last September and I just got my braces off a week ago. Of course, I couldn't wait to try to chew gum! While chewing the way you chew gum, I noticed that there is quite a bit of numbness in my chin...but definitely not a big deal. I still have feeling, it is just tingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibake&pray View Post
We had our son's lower jaw broken and realigned because his bite was off by an entire molar. His oral surgeon told him it could take a year for feeling to return to any nerves that were damaged in the surgery. Nerves are delicate things and don't like to be messed around with and when they are moved it takes time for them to settle down and for feeling to return to them after they have been tramatized.

I know that our son said that it was a full year for him to regain feeling in some parts of his jaw..and that he was totally satisfied that he had it done!

You have to realize that any time you start moving around nerves and muscles that it causes irritation and it may cause damage to them that takes time for them to heal. It can also cause damage that sometimes doesn't repair itself. It's a risk that you assume when you undergo the surgery. But for most people it is a risk that they are willing to take.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I had it done almost 20 years ago now. Wow it doesn't seem that long ago. I was in my 30's I always had a deep overbite but my teeth were starting to really lean in and were getting crooked. I had braces put in but then I was told I needed to have the surgery or my bite would collapes. I was freaked out about having my jaw wired shut The surgeon said there was a possibilty he could put plates and pins in so my mouth could open up a tiny bit for a baby spoon to fit in. I opted for that if he could do it.
The surgery was 5 1/2 hours. I was in intensive care afterwards with my head wrapped in bandages for swelling. I had tubes down my nose. They had me on morphine but I hated it so I was taking tylenol. I really wasn't in pain. I think my hubby was more freaked than I was. My nurse was at my side and she did have to suction me through the tubes down my nose. That was a scary sensation at first but then it was glad she did it. We watched tv together all night. My worse pain was my catheder pulling on my bladder because some fool had taped it to my thigh and they didn't realize it until the next day.
I went home the 3rd day. I looked like an accident victim. I bruised all the way down my chest. I really felt ok but didn't look so good. Even the shape of my eyes were different from the swelling. I didn't eat much for 8 weeks. mashed egg, pudding etc. I could open my mouth just a little. I was thin before the surgery so I was told to pack on the pounds. Oh boy....well I guess my body resisted losing weight because I lost only 13 pounds and then gained in all back plus some when I started eating. So much for being thin.
I had been told I might not ever get the feeling back in my face since the nerves were cut. Over the next several months the feeling came back but not in my lips or my chin. I couldn't tell when hubby kissed me or if I had food running down my chin. 7 years later, I was getting into my car on a very windy night and the car door was blown into my face as I was getting in. The next morning I had most of my feeling back in my face. Go figure that one. My chin didn't get back all of the sensation. I know when my hand is on in but I still don't always know if I have food or something there.
The surgery was worth it. I have beautiful teeth and it really softened my hard features lining my profile up. However, I would have had my jaws completely wired shut instead of the plates as there is something in the plates that caused me to get burned in a MRI even though the plates are titanium. I now can't have a MRI and that is a good tool to have available. Oh and I wrinkled my lips up trying to keep them off the surgical wires. Use wax so you don't wrinkle prematurely.. Those are the bad things I say about the procedure. THe surgery wasn't bad

Old 10-10-2007, 05:32 PM   #6
(female)

confused8242 HB User

it's been a while since i've had the surgery and i still have numbness in my chin. is this normal? i read the surgery report and it had said that they had purposely avoided some nerve so i wouldnt experience any long term numbness but its been 2.5 years..... im getting scared that it wont ever come back. has anyone else had that situation and did it come back?

Closed Thread