It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2007, 11:34 AM   #1
(female)

dawnd1 HB User
Unhappy Please help....I have so many symptoms

Hi, I am a 39 year old female who has been extremely healthy my whole life. I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia 10 years ago that I have never had alot of problems with. I am a former 20 year, pack a day smoker(quit in January 2007) and I have two small peach martinis every night to help me go to sleep. That is my history until now.

In June of 1999 my back went out for the very first time. Never felt pain like that since childbirth! Recovered from that but since have had bouts of back pain that comes and goes. October of 2006 my back goes out but does not fully recover for a month and a half. See an orthodedic doctor who took x-rays(fine), physical therapy(made it worse) and finally an mri of the back which comes back as having a herniated disc in L-5 or L-6, I forget which, and arthritis in the lower spine. Puts me on long term anti-inflammatories.

November 2006 my right shoulder and right knee start hurting. The shoulder is quite painful and the knee pain comes and goes. Go to orthopedic doctor who takes x-rays(fine) says I have bursitis and gives me a cortisone shot(boy that hurt!!) Pain goes away. I don't bring up knee pain because it is not pesistent.

January 2007 I go to my primary doctor for rib pain. Not constant, moves around and sometimes is stabbing. Takes chest x-rays(clear) and diagnoses costochondritis.

Three weeks later the rib pain still comes and goes so I go to my orthopedic doctor. He takes chest x-rays(clear) says it is costochondritis and prescribed steroids. Actually clears up my rib pain for a few weeks.

A month ago I start having SEVERE chest pains and burning in my upper back. I go to my primary doctor and he pokes around my stomach(which causes alot of pain) and gives me a GI cocktail. In less than a minute the pain is gone. Also does another chest x-ray at my request which is clear. Says it is GERD and my hiatal hernia. Prescribes Nexium and the symptoms have almost gone away.

Two weeks ago I go back to him with right sided abdominal pain which radiates to the back up into my shoulder blades. Sends me for an ultrasound and a hida scan. Both come back as gallbladder, pancreas and liver being fine. Tells me to continue taking stomach medicine.

Fast forward to today. My knee still hurts and my shoulder is starting to hurt again sometimes. I get this knot at the base of my neck and to the right that tightens up and burns sometimes. The right side of my ribs still hurt, mainly on the side but sometimes in the back and up under my breast. I am also having a pain at my waist line that is mainly on the side but sometimes feels like it is in the front or back of my body. Occasionally I stll get the burning in my upper back. My lower back is hurting again with shooting pains to my right hip. I also have an occasional pain in my mid right back.

Im so sorry for the long post. I am now without insurance and won't have it again for 90 days. I am so scared. I cry every day thinking I am dying. I feel like all of this is cancer that has spread to all these different parts of my body. Please give me your inputs but also please don't try to scare me too much. I don't think I could take it.

Thank you so much for listening,
Dawn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2007, 12:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: Please help....I have so many symptoms

Dawn, I would stay on the medicine for the GERD. Gerd doesn't go away quickly. It can take 8-12 weeks to heal. Stay on the medicine and give it chance to work. ALso, when you are under stress, your msucles tighten up and will cause aches and pains.

If your doctor said you had a herniated disc and arthritis, that can be causing the buring sensation in your hip and down your legs. Take an aleve and try some heat on the area. That should help some. When you get insurance, you may want to have a back doctor check this out.

I don't think any of this is cancer. You are just stressed and it is causing you to worry. The bakc issues can cause you to have discomfort all over your back because your back will tighten up to protect the spine. Then you carry yourself different and that causes pain because you aren't standing the way you should......

hang in there, it will get better..

Old 05-25-2007, 06:23 PM   #3
(female)

dawnd1 HB User

ibake&pray,

Thank you so much for your input. I am sooo stressed and I know that can do a number on your body. It just seems like I am falling apart all at once. As hard as I try I can't help but wonder if only one specific thing is causing all of these problems(cancer).

Again, thank you and have a blessed day.

Dawn

Old 05-26-2007, 09:37 PM   #4
(male)

Perry2 HB User

Watch your brain doesn't run away with you. Once you start feeling "broken" you become hypersensitive to discomfort. Twinges that may have been around on and off for years suddenly get singled out as problems, when in fact, we all have occasional pain in many places that is medically insignificant.
Especially as we get older, since by the late 30s and early 40s we start to acquire a brittleness, tell tale arthritic discomforts, and gastrointestinal jabs that signal the end of the free ride of youth, but aren't necessarily evidence of any relevent medical issues.
Your issues seem largely unrelated, and don't seem to link to any severe medical issues.
GI problems will cause radiant pain right into your back if you keep eating the wrong things, even on meds. Postural problems due to a loss of physical fitness will result in radiating back pain, and still other back problems can be treated with a couple of visits to a Chiropractor.
Eat better, get more actiive, and quit obsessing over your health so much.

Closed Thread