It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 02:49 PM   #1
(male)

joel74 HB User
Sore Throat, Neck Pain, Headache, Fever

3 weeks ago on a Thursday evening my wife came down with chills and fever. On Friday she went to the doctor with a 103 degree fever and they said she had a Sinus Infection and possible Strep Throat. She was given antibiotics and was bed ridden for 3 days with no change. On Monday she called the clinic and they instructed that she be seen by the ER at the Hospital. After several hours in the ER they did multiple tests on Mono, Strep, West Nile, and Lime Disease. All of these turned up negative except for the Lime Disease because it takes 1 week to get results, so still is a possibility. The ER doctor said all signs point to Meningitis and with some reluctance to a spinal tap we went ahead and had the procedure done. If it wasn't bad enough that she was in so much pain that the Pain medications were barely helping she now was instructed to lay completely flat for the next 6 hours because of risk of spinal fluid leaking. Not to mention that this is typically followed with a severe headache. The test turned up negative for Viral or Bacterial Meningitis, great news but still no answers. The next thing the doctor told us was that she possibly has a virus that has worked its way into the spine or she could possibly have what is called Occipital Neuralgia. At this point a Neurologist was called in and his thoughts are that this is Viral and is very similar to Viral Meningitis. They then started treating the pain in her neck and head. The doctor didn't seem to think she will be out of the hospital for at least a couple of more days. The first thing they would like to see is for her to be able to get up and walk around the halls without dizziness and pain. Until then she will remain in their care. I asked the long term on this and he said this thing could last up to and beyond 3 weeks to take its course. On Friday they released from the hospital this was 8 days after this started. She took it easy for a week and slowly progressed to get better. After a week of being back on her feet and 2 weeks after the start of this she has now come down with the initial symptoms. We went back to the doctor and she had 102 degree temperature and the diagnoses was to treat her pain. It is very difficult trying to just treat pain and have no answers.
Tested for Miningitis, Lupus, MS, Nuerological Disorder, Lyme Disease amongst other Tick illnesses, West Nile, Thyroid disorder, Strep, Mono, MRI and Catscans for Tumors or an anurism.
I welcome opinions on what our next steps should be.

Last edited by joel74; 05-30-2007 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Easier to read.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2007, 07:34 AM   #2
(male)

joel74 HB User
Re: Sore Throat, Neck Pain, Headache, Fever

Today she is still having pain with no change. I am changing physicians now to see if we can get an answer this afternoon. A brief note of history is that she has no Migranes and really never suffered from any severe illnesses outside of the normal flu stuff. She is 33 years old and I deeply care about her. If you know of anyone that has these problems please share.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:59 AM   #3
(female)

tetianainto HB User

Hi, I don't have any answers for you. It is good you are continuing to look for answers. A tentative diagnosis of "virus" can be really frustrating bec viruses can't be tested for, and they can be unpredictable. Doctors don't know much about them....Keep working with the doctors: they seem to be doing all the right things and eliminating certain conditions and illnesses. Viruses can hang around for awhile, ....and her symptoms may indeed be viral ie. sore throat etc. I had a weird virus earlier this year...and was also very worried. It eventually went way, but it took a long time.....Take care, c

Old 05-30-2007, 07:17 PM   #4
(male)

joel74 HB User

Thank you for the post Tetianainto.
Update: We saw a new physician today and he seems to think she has a severe sinus infection. They have put her on some antibiotics. We are crossing our fingers.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:54 AM   #5
(female)

tetianainto HB User

Hi - Thanks for the update. Keep in touch and let us know how your wife is feeling.....Hopefully, at the weekend, she'll feel better. Best, c

Old 05-31-2007, 01:53 PM   #6
(female)

tetianainto HB User

Hi, just wondering how the day is going? Is your wife feeling better? It is too soon for the antibiotics to work...but....

c

Old 06-05-2007, 01:25 AM   #7
(male)

joel74 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetianainto View Post
Hi, just wondering how the day is going? Is your wife feeling better? It is too soon for the antibiotics to work...but....

c
She has been feeling better but still has been having some reoccurring headaches. We have now shifted our focus to an Allergist. He is going to do some testing tomorrow. I will keep you posted. Thank you so much for checking in and I will keep you updated.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:01 AM   #8
(female)

tetianainto HB User

Hi, it's good she's feeling better. Sinus headaches, whether from infection or allergies, can be brutal. Has she had allergies in the past? Are you suspecting seasonal allergies? I have had headaches from seasonal allergies before, altho not this year. Each year tends to be different..asthma one year was bad, rhinitis another with headaches....

Thanks for staying in touch.....and I hope that things remain on the up. You seem to be on top of it....

best, c

Last edited by tetianainto; 06-05-2007 at 07:04 AM.

Closed Thread