It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2007, 04:32 PM   #1
(male)

jordan001101 HB User
short sharp shock in neck

hello all.

I have been having this problem for years now and have finally decided to try and find out what it is. Every now and then, I randomly get this quick strike of shocking pain in my neck. It's like someone just quickly zaps me with a bolt of electricity down my neck. It comes and goes in a split second but gives me a good jolt when it does.

I have no idea what causes it but I think it might be when I twist my neck into certain positions as now that I think about it, it usually occurs when my head is tilted and I am sitting badly, usually slouched and twisted as I use my laptop. It only happens maybe once every few weeks. Anyone know what this is about?

Thanks,
Jordan

Last edited by jordan001101; 05-31-2007 at 04:33 PM.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: short sharp shock in neck

It sounds like a muscle spasm. As you say, maybe the position of your head and neck may pinch a nerve and cause a spasm when you move. Is the pain th only symptom? no numbness, tingling or vision disturbances? If not then it is probably not much to worry about.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2007, 05:47 PM   #3
(male)

jordan001101 HB User

no the pain is the only symptom.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
(male)

bobnorth HB User

You may be experiencing what is called a "L'hermittes sign", a symptom of an underlying spinal or neurological issue. Does it happen when the head is tilted forward as if trying to touch your chin to your chest? Or does it happen when you move your head any any particular position? Does the jolt-shock travel down the neck down thru the center of your body? Are there any other strange symptoms along with it? The only way to know if it's your spine is to get an MRI of your neck. Any yes answer to any question would suggest a cervical spine issue.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:49 AM   #5
(female)

adkmtngal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan001101 View Post
hello all.

I have been having this problem for years now and have finally decided to try and find out what it is. Every now and then, I randomly get this quick strike of shocking pain in my neck. It's like someone just quickly zaps me with a bolt of electricity down my neck. It comes and goes in a split second but gives me a good jolt when it does.

I have no idea what causes it but I think it might be when I twist my neck into certain positions as now that I think about it, it usually occurs when my head is tilted and I am sitting badly, usually slouched and twisted as I use my laptop. It only happens maybe once every few weeks. Anyone know what this is about?

Thanks,
Jordan
Yes, the answer to what this problem is - definitely L'Hermittes sign. Its so strange to describe and only because I have had this can I relate. You feel crazy trying to tell someone - its a very rare symptom. Actually it is related to the cervical spine but it does show up in MS a lot and in my case it was so severe they thought I had MS. What I had was pernicious anemia - an autoimmune disease which results in Vit B-12 defficiency and demyelination of the nervous system. I was misdiagnosed for too long and now have permanent nerve damage from it. Pernicious anemia is fatal if left untreated and believe me I felt like I was dying as well as suffering from so much weakness and severe burning in my hands and feet, other symptoms for months while I was just barely hanging on - my B-12 was in the low 100's when it was discovered. Its been two years now since diagnosis and treatment which also included a great deal of physical therapy ( my body acted as if I had a stroke) - the L'Hermittes sign is much improved although if I do too much walking or something as that it does return and I feel the shocks surging down my body. Be sure to get tested for your B-12 level everyone! ! I strongly feel it should be part of routine testing as a CBC is - it is that important. I am not the same person I was and probably will never regain completely though I do stay hopeful and as busy and active as possible with having to take so much Neurontin to combat the burning which causes a lot of fatigue. Hope this helps with a bit of info.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

is it just local to your neck? I get it now and then.. I think a nerve gets pinched.. feels like you've been shocked in the neck. From what I'm reading about that "L'Hermittes sign" is that the pain shoots down into your body..

Closed Thread