It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User
What causes RBC to be slightly elevated?

CAn someone tell me some reason why my red blood count would be slightly elevated? Dr didn't think it was a big deal, but to me when something is high like that, I want to know what could be the cause. I do have asthma but, not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. Thanks!

Old 06-18-2007, 07:54 PM   #2
(female)

Summer1972 HB User
Re: What causes RBC to be slightly elevated?

I wouldnt worry about it, if it's only slight. I am a numbers person-I totally freak when my numbers are off even a bit-but I have had to learn to relax and hope for the best. Sometimes I do a search on here to get what I need.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2007, 06:21 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer1972 View Post
I wouldnt worry about it, if it's only slight. I am a numbers person-I totally freak when my numbers are off even a bit-but I have had to learn to relax and hope for the best. Sometimes I do a search on here to get what I need.
I'm a numbers person too, and when I see a high reading, it worries me. My readings were: Hemoglobin-5.1 (H) and rbc- 5.12 (H)

Old 06-19-2007, 06:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

this could be from something as simple as dehydration,where the blood is not as diluted so the remaining RBCs appear to be more accumulated.it is the way they do the count that would show this that way.also having your hemo up too could indicate a few different issues.but the main thing here means that your blood is not as dilute and would be a bit less 'fluid'?sluggish to flow?just do some simple searching on high RBC hemoglobin and see where that leads you.there are many different things that could stem from this or actually cause it.were there any other numbers that were out of range or were these the only two?you kind of have to look at the "whole" picture here,that means any symptomology(what if any actual symptoms have you been showing or feeling?) along with your other lab values.thats how your doc will eventually put the pieces together to form a preliminary Dx of whatever they feel this could be stemming from.

hopefully this doesn't mean anything really ominous or serious.please keep us posted on how things are going,K? good luck,FB

Old 06-19-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
this could be from something as simple as dehydration,where the blood is not as diluted so the remaining RBCs appear to be more accumulated.it is the way they do the count that would show this that way.also having your hemo up too could indicate a few different issues.but the main thing here means that your blood is not as dilute and would be a bit less 'fluid'?sluggish to flow?just do some simple searching on high RBC hemoglobin and see where that leads you.there are many different things that could stem from this or actually cause it.were there any other numbers that were out of range or were these the only two?you kind of have to look at the "whole" picture here,that means any symptomology(what if any actual symptoms have you been showing or feeling?) along with your other lab values.thats how your doc will eventually put the pieces together to form a preliminary Dx of whatever they feel this could be stemming from.

hopefully this doesn't mean anything really ominous or serious.please keep us posted on how things are going,K? good luck,FB

Those were the only two that were considered high. Not sure what to think of it. When you say dehydrated, do you mean as far as not drinking enough water? I get an average of 32-48 oz in a day in but that's about it. Thanks for the feedback!

Old 06-20-2007, 05:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

thats pretty much it.alot of people are dehydrated during the course of the day(they just don't drink the recommended amount of water),it really does depend alot on how much water or other fluids you take in during any day that determines how well hydrated you are.if you are drinking caffeinated type drinks,these can also act as a diuretic and make you urinate more too.other meds people take can also have an effect on hydration for other reasons as well.i have to drink alot of water during the course of a day just to keep my diseased kidneys well flushed and my body hydrated.i am also having to be on many different types of meds.

just what does your doc suspect is going on with you?what symptoms are you having?what actually prompted these tests in the first place?just being nosey.FB

Old 06-20-2007, 08:57 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
thats pretty much it.alot of people are dehydrated during the course of the day(they just don't drink the recommended amount of water),it really does depend alot on how much water or other fluids you take in during any day that determines how well hydrated you are.if you are drinking caffeinated type drinks,these can also act as a diuretic and make you urinate more too.other meds people take can also have an effect on hydration for other reasons as well.i have to drink alot of water during the course of a day just to keep my diseased kidneys well flushed and my body hydrated.i am also having to be on many different types of meds.

just what does your doc suspect is going on with you?what symptoms are you having?what actually prompted these tests in the first place?just being nosey.FB

Well, part of it was because I was getting a blood glucose test done and part of it was just for a physical. Don't like to get stuck, so she figured that it may as well be done all at once. She didn't seem to be worried at all about the rbc but, ya know, it's high for a reason and that is considered abnormal and I just want to know why. I don't know why doctors aren't more concerned about these things even if they are small, it's still an abnormal reading on a blood test. Why not want your patient to be in the best physical position they can be in instead of settling for "a little off, but that's okay". MAybe I am too anal on things, but, I'm getting that way as I get older.

Closed Thread