It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 405
Katielyn HB User
What causes RBC to be slightly elevated?

CAn someone tell me some reason why my red blood count would be slightly elevated? Dr didn't think it was a big deal, but to me when something is high like that, I want to know what could be the cause. I do have asthma but, not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. Thanks!

 
Old 06-18-2007, 07:54 PM   #2
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 53
Summer1972 HB User
Re: What causes RBC to be slightly elevated?

I wouldnt worry about it, if it's only slight. I am a numbers person-I totally freak when my numbers are off even a bit-but I have had to learn to relax and hope for the best. Sometimes I do a search on here to get what I need.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 06-19-2007, 06:21 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 405
Katielyn HB User
Re: What causes RBC to be slightly elevated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer1972 View Post
I wouldnt worry about it, if it's only slight. I am a numbers person-I totally freak when my numbers are off even a bit-but I have had to learn to relax and hope for the best. Sometimes I do a search on here to get what I need.
I'm a numbers person too, and when I see a high reading, it worries me. My readings were: Hemoglobin-5.1 (H) and rbc- 5.12 (H)

 
Old 06-19-2007, 06:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 10,133
feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: What causes RBC to be slightly elevated?

this could be from something as simple as dehydration,where the blood is not as diluted so the remaining RBCs appear to be more accumulated.it is the way they do the count that would show this that way.also having your hemo up too could indicate a few different issues.but the main thing here means that your blood is not as dilute and would be a bit less 'fluid'?sluggish to flow?just do some simple searching on high RBC hemoglobin and see where that leads you.there are many different things that could stem from this or actually cause it.were there any other numbers that were out of range or were these the only two?you kind of have to look at the "whole" picture here,that means any symptomology(what if any actual symptoms have you been showing or feeling?) along with your other lab values.thats how your doc will eventually put the pieces together to form a preliminary Dx of whatever they feel this could be stemming from.

hopefully this doesn't mean anything really ominous or serious.please keep us posted on how things are going,K? good luck,FB
__________________
3-22-01,herniated C-6-7
11-20-01,placement of hardware for failed fusion
9-22-03,removal of cavernous hemangioma that was inside spinal cord. Neuro damage to L hand L leg and R leg.

 
Old 06-19-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 405
Katielyn HB User
Re: What causes RBC to be slightly elevated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
this could be from something as simple as dehydration,where the blood is not as diluted so the remaining RBCs appear to be more accumulated.it is the way they do the count that would show this that way.also having your hemo up too could indicate a few different issues.but the main thing here means that your blood is not as dilute and would be a bit less 'fluid'?sluggish to flow?just do some simple searching on high RBC hemoglobin and see where that leads you.there are many different things that could stem from this or actually cause it.were there any other numbers that were out of range or were these the only two?you kind of have to look at the "whole" picture here,that means any symptomology(what if any actual symptoms have you been showing or feeling?) along with your other lab values.thats how your doc will eventually put the pieces together to form a preliminary Dx of whatever they feel this could be stemming from.

hopefully this doesn't mean anything really ominous or serious.please keep us posted on how things are going,K? good luck,FB

Those were the only two that were considered high. Not sure what to think of it. When you say dehydrated, do you mean as far as not drinking enough water? I get an average of 32-48 oz in a day in but that's about it. Thanks for the feedback!

 
Old 06-20-2007, 05:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 10,133
feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: What causes RBC to be slightly elevated?

thats pretty much it.alot of people are dehydrated during the course of the day(they just don't drink the recommended amount of water),it really does depend alot on how much water or other fluids you take in during any day that determines how well hydrated you are.if you are drinking caffeinated type drinks,these can also act as a diuretic and make you urinate more too.other meds people take can also have an effect on hydration for other reasons as well.i have to drink alot of water during the course of a day just to keep my diseased kidneys well flushed and my body hydrated.i am also having to be on many different types of meds.

just what does your doc suspect is going on with you?what symptoms are you having?what actually prompted these tests in the first place?just being nosey.FB
__________________
3-22-01,herniated C-6-7
11-20-01,placement of hardware for failed fusion
9-22-03,removal of cavernous hemangioma that was inside spinal cord. Neuro damage to L hand L leg and R leg.

 
Old 06-20-2007, 08:57 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 405
Katielyn HB User
Re: What causes RBC to be slightly elevated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
thats pretty much it.alot of people are dehydrated during the course of the day(they just don't drink the recommended amount of water),it really does depend alot on how much water or other fluids you take in during any day that determines how well hydrated you are.if you are drinking caffeinated type drinks,these can also act as a diuretic and make you urinate more too.other meds people take can also have an effect on hydration for other reasons as well.i have to drink alot of water during the course of a day just to keep my diseased kidneys well flushed and my body hydrated.i am also having to be on many different types of meds.

just what does your doc suspect is going on with you?what symptoms are you having?what actually prompted these tests in the first place?just being nosey.FB

Well, part of it was because I was getting a blood glucose test done and part of it was just for a physical. Don't like to get stuck, so she figured that it may as well be done all at once. She didn't seem to be worried at all about the rbc but, ya know, it's high for a reason and that is considered abnormal and I just want to know why. I don't know why doctors aren't more concerned about these things even if they are small, it's still an abnormal reading on a blood test. Why not want your patient to be in the best physical position they can be in instead of settling for "a little off, but that's okay". MAybe I am too anal on things, but, I'm getting that way as I get older.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
What causes you to produce too much cortisone? SHMILY Thyroid Disorders 16 03-07-2008 12:57 PM
what is the range of slightly elevated bilirubin? Dugan11 Liver & Pancreas Disorders 1 02-07-2008 11:41 AM
Slightly Elevated ALT and others HELP adam2000 Liver & Pancreas Disorders 9 05-07-2007 09:38 AM
Need Suggestion/Help for Slightly elevated ALT abatra_75 Liver & Pancreas Disorders 0 04-16-2007 11:42 AM
Pls..Need Despreate Help - Slightly Elevated ALT abatra_75 Liver & Pancreas Disorders 4 04-15-2007 03:05 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



ladybud (79), sjb (77), SnowBunny2020 (76), Titchou (70), JJ (53), janewhite1 (51), lenvegas (29), midwest1 (25), quincy (20), solofelix (19)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1006), Apollo123 (906), Titchou (852), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (755), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:22 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!