It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2007, 06:15 AM   #1
(male)

aaronhunt2001 HB User
Unhappy Tiredness, worn out, sweating and being too hot... please help!

Hi All,

Please could anyone cast any light on a problem I've had for some time now?

My basic symptoms include: being tired but not sleepy tired - body tired, achy back esp under armpits and below shoulder blades. Often sweating excessively for short periods even though ambient temperature would be cool/normal for others.

I recently went to Australia where I expected to have a tough time dealing with the heat and sunshine but I actually felt better whilst I was over there - yes I was hot but not "body tired". I cannot put this problem down to my job as I have been off work for the past two weeks and still feel the same.
Another thing I find myself doing is taking deep breaths in and out for no apparent reason. I have tried drinking more incase I am dehydrated, I have tried eating less which sometimes helps but I feel weak sometimes if I skip a meal in order to feel better. I would have to admit I am overweight (15 stone and 5'5") but I don't feel it holds me back at all. I have just purchased a bike for myself and my wife. I used to ride a lot up until I was 17 when I got a car and like most young people drive everywhere! I am hoping to loose some weight by cycling to see if my weight has anything to do with it.

I have been to the doctor to discuss this a number of times as some parts of my family have/had heart problems and my dad suffers the heat side of my symptoms but that has been put down to an overactive thyroid. They have done blood tests (I don't know which ones!) and all come back fine and nothing really seems resolved...

I should also mention there are periods where I don't feel like this (it's not very often) and I have loads of energy etc and can do all sorts! However I can't think of anything to tie things I am doing/not doing to feeling ok...

Does anyone have similar problems and advise ANY kind of relief at all to help me out... I don't lack ambition or wanting to do things I just can't seem to do anything due to this lethargy or tiredness! If I can get some ideas to go to my doctors with I can get an appointment booked!!

Many Thanks

Aaron

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2007, 07:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Tiredness, worn out, sweating and being too hot... please help!

It's very possible that you have inherited your dad's overactive thyroid, but that your doctor just isn't recognizing it yet. Thyroid problems frequently go undiagnosed until lab tests scream something wrong, but the symptoms can begin well before that happens.

Hyperthyroid folks typically lose weight or can't gain it even with ravenous appetites, but this isn't written in stone. Hypers can still be overweight or gain easily.

Otherwise, your symptoms fit hyperT neatly. You're at a disadvantage in the UK, in that you're at the health system's mercy for obtaining the right tests. If you were here in the US, I would urge you to have the following tests: TSH, free T4, free T3, and TSI antibodies. If the antibodies are positive, it would show that you have the autoimmune form of hyperT, which commonly runs in families.

Autoimmune thyroid disease can take different forms in individual family members. It's also possible that you are actually hypOthyroid, even though your dad has hyperT. It's also possible that one can be hypOthyroid and suffer from the heat although it's most common for hypos to feel inappropriately cold. These kinds of symptoms can "cross over" from the hyper to the hypo side. HypoT goes undiagnosed more frequently than hyperT, so it wouldn't surprise me if your tests actually show this but your doctor isn't interpreting the tests well.

Good luck to you in pursuing this angle. If I'm wrong, I hope you'll get to the source of the trouble very soon.

Last edited by midwest1; 08-01-2007 at 07:53 AM.

Closed Thread