It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
(male)

lvlagic5538 HB User
Problem

I am 18 and I just got my first job about 4.5 months ago. I work steady midnight shift (11pm to 7:30am) My job is a physical job as the manager said. In the 4.5 months of working there, I have changed. I started the job weighing 212lbs. Currently I weigh about 187lbs. (I noticed myself I thinned down quite a bit.) I lost 25lbs in 4.5 months. I eat less. I sleep more. I developed black under my eyes. I am however quite cranky when my parents wake me up earlier than usual. But the thing I wrote about is: Previously it was never a problem. Since I started my job, often when I stand up I get light headed and like my vision fades out slightly for about a second when I do so. What could be causing this to happen?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2007, 09:45 PM   #2
(female)

Andrea84 HB User
Re: Problem

See your doctor about your dizziness and vision fading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2007, 06:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

You say you're sleeping more, but how's the quality of your sleep? Some people who work the night shift find that the sleep they get is not very good. Even if you're in bed for 8 hours, if the sleep you get is choppy, that is, you're not getting enough of the deeper stages of sleep, you could have symptoms such as you're describing. Maybe the night shift isn't the best for you.

Like Andrea said, see your doctor to make sure there's not something else going on. If everything checks out okay, consider finding a job with daytime hours.

Take care,
Emily

Old 08-07-2007, 07:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

Your symptoms sound like orthostatic hypotension, which sounds really scary but is actually just not drinking enough water. Especially with the work schedule wreaking havoc with your sleep, it is important to keep hydrated.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:21 AM   #5
(male)

lvlagic5538 HB User

My sleep is alright. It could be better, not sure how. For example: Last week I had 2-nights off. I got home in the morning. Went to bed around 9:30am and woke up around 7:00pm. Was up from then till about 11:20pm before I fell back asleep till 2am. Was up from 2am till about 5:30am. then slept from 5:30am till 8:15ish am. and was up the rest of that day. Also, what may be the cause of the black that developed under my eyes. I have been asked a few times if I got punched in the eyes because they were pretty dark. The day that I did mention above, after all of that, I did notice the black was much lighter and barely noticeable. (I also have just started taking a multivitamin due to eating much less. Its called MegaMen Sport. I mentioned to the lady working at the GNC that I needed a multivitamin and explained to them what I do and stuff and thats what they recommended.)

Last edited by lvlagic5538; 08-07-2007 at 09:42 AM.

Closed Thread